ficsci

Non-Japanese Visual Bands

I know this is an old topic, but I thought I'd throw my two cents worth.

As far as non-Japanese individuals forming VK bands is concerned, I don't think it's as good or bad as, say, a Japanese band playing grunge or punk. The problem, as far as I can see, is a musician's attitude towards music in general, and the kind of music he/she is trying to create. If an individual tries to do visual kei just because it looks cool, then that poses a problem. If a musician fakes his music, then it becomes more of a show that an actual expression. Sure music is a form of entertainment, but I am one of those people that believe that it should also be pure. Besides, we all know fads come and go.

Another point to consider is why the visual kei look works for Japanese people. For one, because it is a look that is culturally acceptable in their culture. They can get away with looking outrageous and effeminate because they, as a people, have been fascinated by such imagery since god knows when. As far as rock music, or music in general, is concerned, an artist's or band's packaging (the way they look or dress) is one of the most efficient way to advertise themselves. Outrageous clothing or fashion has been attached to rock music, may it be Japanese or not, but it has to be done with respect.

At the end of the day, music is music. It can be good, or it can be bad, but it is music nevertheless. If a certain band, or artists, or genre doesn't work for you, then don't listen to/watch it. We are at an age when we can modify/select what we watch or listen to, so why mind those that we don't like? And if we just can't stand a certain artist or band, just take the Australian band Silverchair for reference. When they first came out, a lot of people hated them for being a Nirvana copycat. A lot of people put heat on them because they're not supposed to play grunge, as they're not from Seattle (hell, they're not even from the US). But they stood the test of time, and became one of the most respected bands in the world. Why? I think it's because they played what they wanted and respected the kind of music they created.

Just want to point out that a full blown Visual Kei look definitely is not socially/culturally acceptable in Japan.

Just want to point out that a full blown Visual Kei look definitely is not socially/culturally acceptable in Japan.

I understand that point. However, the mere fact that you pointed out that "full-blown" Visual Kei is what's not acceptable in Japan means that there is a certain level of it that IS acceptable. The mere fact that you're seeing it in music, print media, and television in Japan means that they accept it more than possibly anywhere else in the world. If Visual Kei, full-blown or not, is not acceptable in Japanese standards, well they sure are very tolerant of it. 

Cheers!  :thumbs:

I agree with Gizorz above.

Another point to consider is why the visual kei look works for Japanese people. For one, because it is a look that is culturally acceptable in their culture. They can get away with looking outrageous and effeminate because they, as a people, have been fascinated by such imagery since god knows when.

I once watched a documentary on guys working in maid-cafés in Japan. One of them told about one incident, when his girlfriend found his pair of stockings in his car. Instead of saying "Yeah I work at a maid café" he lied to his girlfriend by saying he's been cheating on her.

In a culture, where cheating is more socially accepted than dressing up as a woman, you definitely can't say Visual kei is more socially acceptable than anywhere else. 

So yeah, I've watched an American show where transgender girls (that's how they called themselves, I'm not being intolerant here) did makeovers for women. By your standards, this should mean being transgender is totally accepted in the states because they show it on TV. 

There will always be people drawn closer by oddities like VK and stuff, that's true, but it doesn't make it generally acceptable in any society.

It can be done. But it hasn't been done RIGHT.

1. Native language only - no Japanese names, etc.

2. Don't market themselves as a "VK" band. Nobody in the real world is going to know what that is. And VK fans will just mock you.

3. No cliches. No lolita. No stupid belly-shirts. It looks terrible on Japanese people and even worse on everyone else. If I was going to form a VK band, I'd look for inspiration from couture/high-fashion first.

4. For fuck's sakes, learn how to DRESS. Every foreign "VK" band I've ever seen has had nerds in horrible Hot-Topic esque shit (ARM-WARMERS), horrible makeup, or both. Dress for your body. Drag queens are your friend. Even the most busted faces can turn it out with the proper contouring.

5. Make good music. Have a theme. VK is all about themes.

Here's proof it can be done. Behold, a white person looking fabulous in VK.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8cot ... o1_500.jpg

See also: Jimi.

EDIT: And for the record, Seremedy look fucking terrible. YOHIO is the only one who has got it right. The rest can go.

Quoted for having my exact thoughts.

I don't really care if you're not Japanese and trying to do the same sort of jig as traditional visual-kei bands, but the problem is no one has done it correctly yet. Like, at all. The closest I've seen to this happening with mainstream success is Cinema Strange, but they ~just happened to meet at an anime convention~ and ~just happened to take GazettE-ish promo pictures once~ and were coming more from a "WE LOVE ZIGGY STARDUST!!!!!" angle than a visual-kei one. With that being said, I consider them to be more glam-rock than vkei.

Quoted for having my exact thoughts.

I don't really care if you're not Japanese and trying to do the same sort of jig as traditional visual-kei bands, but the problem is no one has done it correctly yet. Like, at all. The closest I've seen to this happening with mainstream success is Cinema Strange, but they ~just happened to meet at an anime convention~ and ~just happened to take GazettE-ish promo pictures once~ and were coming more from a "WE LOVE ZIGGY STARDUST!!!!!" angle than a visual-kei one. With that being said, I consider them to be more glam-rock than vkei.

gonna have to stop u there

@ゆうぎ --

I don't necessarily disagree with you or gizorz in your take on it. What I was trying to point out is that compared to other countries, Visual Kei is more acceptable in Japan than anywhere else, at least I believe so. It is a trend/style/lifestyle/genre that was born in Japan, so It is fairly logical that it is more acceptable there than anywhere else. The thing about it is that anything revolutionary, outrageous (and I don't mean this in a negative manner), odd, or weird would have certain social stigmas that will come with it, and Visual Kei was not spared of this. Mind you, I'm not the biggest fan of Visual Kei, if at all, but I truly respect what they are trying to do. And as far as whether Visual Kei is acceptable or not, you would always have mass media as referrence. Mass Media, in truth, is a money-making industry. I don't think any company would invest in such things if people would not buy it. The consumption of their music, photographs, lives are clear indications that, at least, to a certain level, it is accepted by their culture. It is the social stigma that comes with it that makes people deny their acceptance of it. 

It is almost similar to the social stigma of having tattoos where I come from. Lots of people are getting tattoos nowadays here. Celebrities wear them, musicians wear them, almost every other person I see on the street is wearing one or two. So it has become acceptable in our standards for a person to have a tattoo. But when a person with a tattoo applies for certain kinds of jobs, they make unbelievable efforts to cover them up. Why? Because of the social stigma that is attached to having a tattoo. Most of us know that just because one has a tattoo does not mean that he is a criminal, but most people who have it cover them up in such situations. 

What drives me up the wall with Western VK bands is no one seems to tweeze their eyebrows. It's like messy caterpillar across their face. I mean, if you're gonna try and be VK be prepared to shave off your eyebrows and pencil in some. It's a rite of passage if you're going to be VK.

In any case, Maa sums it up perfectly. VK is full of a lot of cliches but if you're going to follow all the VK cliches for fuck sakes do it right.

...and do something with your eyebrows.

I agree with Gizorz and ゆうぎ. 

The Japanese are maybe used to see people walking around in whoknowswhat kei - but that's just in areas like Tokyo and maybe some bigger cities. 

If anyone in Japan loves Gazette for example, learns guitar and then goes telling their grandma 'hey, gran, I want to form a band and go Visual Kei. What do think?' - She'd problably ask what that is (-> because it's not her time!) and then ask a bunch of questions and to be said in the worst possible situation not accept her grandchild going to form a band. Because older people are often still very conservative and don't want to accept things like guys walking around in dresses.

But I don't think that's actually that different here. People here think 'wth is that?' when you start talking about some VK band - I don't think it's that different in Japan, not everyone there likes VK, okay? It's also not mainstream there. We're a community for those 'few' of us who like it, okay, but we're not a majority. 

In Japan, VK and other styles are for young people sometimes really something to get out of their tiring daily routine. Because it is exhausting to have school work every day. And as everyone says it's a lot more than what students have to do here. Their parents tell them 'do this, that, oh, and there's that, why don't you start learning this?'. That's why they come up with things like that. Because they like to have something that's their creation and nothing someone forces them to do.

Who would want to hear a Japanese guy calling himself something like 'Blind Smokey Jackson Jr" playing note-for-note delta blues songs? Maybe for the laughs, but same applies to foreign VK bands.... you might get a laugh out of it, but that's about it.

No need to bother with an imitation when you can get the real thing.