Sign in to follow this  
fitear1590

Classic Video Game Consoles

We need a nice thread to discuss the classic video game consoles. I mean stuff like the Sega Genesis (Mega Drive), Super Nintendo, the original PlayStation, etc. Basically, anything older than our current XBOX 360/PS3/Wii era, haha.

I recently went to the "Art of Video Games" exhibit in the Smithsonian Art Museum in Washington DC, just for kicks. It made me extremely nostalgic and when I got home, I instantly broke out my old systems. I'm somewhat of a Sega fanboy, so I have a Genesis, a Saturn, and a Dreamcast. I know Sega was kind of an outcast console developer, in the US at least, but I have a pretty big library. According to people's "top 10" type lists all over the internet, I do have quite a few of the classics and highly collectible games for the Genesis and the Saturn!

Some of my personal Sega favorites are games like the Virtua Fighter series, pretty much the entire Sonic the Hedgehog series, Super Street Fighter II, Shining Force III, Nights into Dreams, Saturn Bomberman, Guardian Heroes (which actually got a re-release in the XBLA), Power Stone 2, etc.

I'm currently scouring any "retro" video game stores I come across to continue building my collection. Kinda sucks that you mostly find sports games and scratched up discs everywhere, but you occasionally do find a gem. Ebay/Amazon also helps. I also learned that my Saturn, thanks to a special cartridge that I happen to own, can actually play games of all regions (aka, I can play European and Japanese games without any problem, besides the potential language barrier). I'm looking into importing some of those awesome 2D fighting classics that never made it to the US, like X-Men vs. Street Fighter (the Saturn port is considered vastly superior to the PlayStation one), among other things. I also want to look into some of the lesser known Sega "add-on" consoles that I never really checked out, like the 32X and the Sega CD (Sega Mega CD). I know they were largely considered failures, but there were some games that are still sought after today.

ANYWAY, enough out of me.

What old(er) video game consoles do you still play? What are some of your favorite games? Do you still buy "retro" games? If so, where? Do you feel older games offer something that the current generation games cannot? Etc.

Discuss!

ps: if you have any old Sega games you're thinking about selling, we should talk, haha.

I still have my ol' Playstation, though rarely play it nowadays. Played stuff like Vigilante 8, Ehrgeiz, Tenchu: Stealth Assassins. I guess those were my favorites (especially Tenchu). :)

As a kid I didn't have a gaming console because my parents wouldn't let me buy one until I was age 14. Before that I did have a GBA, on which I played lots of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh games. The oldest console that can be connected to a TV that I have is a PS2. I remember I always seemed to want a Nintendo 64 or whatever it was called because I wanted to play Starfox. DO A BARREL ROLL.

Aw crap, i still own them too.

I still plays these from time to time.

Baloon Fight on 8 bit Nintendo for instance are so freaking addictive yet so simple. :lol:

pfft, got too much of them xD, still booting them up from time to time when I feel like it...

Got myself:

NES

Super Nintendo

Nintendo 64 *

GameCube

Wii *

Gameboy

Gameboy Advance SP

Nintendo DS

SEGA:

Master System

Mega Drive (Genesis)

Dreamcast *

GameGear

Sony:

PlayStation

PlayStation 2

PlayStation 2 mini

PlayStation 3 *

PSP

Microsoft:

Xbox

Xbox (Panzer Dragoon Orta JP import)

Xbox (see-through EU edition)

Xbox 360 *

others:

ColecoVision

Atari 2600

Atari 5200

GamePark 32 *

with a * are still the ones I use from time to time...

will do a write-up later about some of the games I play... Most favourite games however are from the DreamCast era (Crazy Taxi, Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, Skies of Arcadia, Ikaruga, THPS2, Space Channel 5 etc)

I remember I always seemed to want a Nintendo 64 or whatever it was called because I wanted to play Starfox. DO A BARREL ROLL.

I have a few Star Fox nerd friends and one of them literally had "DO A BARREL ROLL" as their senior quote in the yearbook, haha.

God damn, Aion! That is a gigantic console collection. Seems you skipped on the Sega Saturn ( :( ), but I love that you enjoy the Dreamcast! Yet another overlooked/underrated console. Looking forward to your write-up!

became a pc-gamer for a couple years in that era... I also bought the N64 and PSx later while the PS2/Xbox was already available..

I remember I always seemed to want a Nintendo 64 or whatever it was called because I wanted to play Starfox. DO A BARREL ROLL.

I have a few Star Fox nerd friends and one of them literally had "DO A BARREL ROLL" as their senior quote in the yearbook, haha.

God damn, Aion! That is a gigantic console collection. Seems you skipped on the Sega Saturn ( :( ), but I love that you enjoy the Dreamcast! Yet another overlooked/underrated console. Looking forward to your write-up!

If our school would've allowed us to pick those lines ourselves (and not by the committee) I probably would've gone with "Bicycle Repair Woman".

i got started at age 6 with a Gameboy, the big grey one=p with the games Tetris and Predator (from the schwarzenegger movie)

then when i became 8 i think i got the Sega Megadrive with a Spider-Man game

but my fav games were Street Fighter and some Avengers like game (with Cap America, Vision, Hawkeye and some others)

then i bought at 12 or something a Nintendo64 Pikachu edition (i know, but it was cheaper then the normal n64 in that shop=p) and i got pokemon stadium with it. but my fav game became Zelda Ocarina of Time

i also got a gameboy color around that time, so i could import pokemon from my gba game into the n64 stadium game.

then i got the gameboy advance for i guess more pokemon games

then i got the Gamecube and Xbox, both had tons of fun games for me

i bought the xbox360 when it came out and the Wii i got for christmas. tough i barely even play on it

and my latest is i guess the nintendo ds which i bought for my 7 hour train trip to Dresden for my first Dir en grey concert=p i got it with pokemon emerald, so i had something to do on the way=p

i play on buying the next xbox when it comes out. i never really had a thing for playstation=/ especially since all the cool games of ps3 in the beginning also came to the xbox=p

My mom got rid of my NES as a kid. "You got a new system so I figured you didn't need the old one." and she gave it to goodwill.

I am still pissed about that. Duck hunt was the shit.

my console history:

Nintendo (my father bought it in 1992)

Brick Game (as a gift given by my aunt in late 1990s)

Playstation One (white) in 2001

all retro games I played and playing:

Adventure Island, Super Mario, Actraiser, Arcadius, Battle City, Bomberman, BurgerTime Delight, Castlevania, Centipede, Contra, Frogger, Galaga, Joust, Lode Runner, Megaman III, Driller, Pang, Rainbow Islands, Katamari, Volfied, Xevious, Final Fantasy II, Metal Slug, Sonic Advance, Time Crisis

Playstation One games that I played and liked:

Tekken 3, Bloody Roar 2, Wild Arms, Tales of Destiny, Megaman Legends, Valkyrie Profile, Syphon Filter 3, Kensei, Marvel vs Capcom, Digimon World 2 and 3, Bushido Blade 2

+we had nintendo once but it is not in our house anymore, cannot find our Playstation One (white console), so i continue playing these games on my Nokia C3-00 and LG KU250

Used to have a Sega Mastersystem and Megadrive and the oldest Nintendo till we left one when my stepdad and mom separated and my granfather put the sega with the trash :/ this is still a family situation every now and then as it angered not only me and my dad but my uncle as well.

Apart from that I have an old gameboy, a color, a DS, and a PS2. Never owned a PS1, but my brother did so I played his one. Never had a N64 either, but I did play on it at my friends'.

We used to have an atari too, but I don't know what happened to that.

If I had the money, I'd buy them all. It gets me so nostalgic :(

Scored this Sega Saturn lot on craigslist!

craigslistsaturnbundle.jpg

I originally only wanted Marvel vs Street Fighter, Fighting Vipers, Street Fighter Alpha, and Virtua Fighter Remix. The guy selling it all said I only had to pay $15 for Marvel vs SF and the other 3 games would be free. I felt bad, so I offered him $20 for those 4 games. Then he said I could just have the entire lot so he wouldn't have to worry about selling anything else!

The prices included on the picture show you how much the items can sell for on amazon.com.

Remember, I paid 20 USD for the whole bundle!

Needless to say, it was a great deal!

I just got an import (Japanese) PS1!

I have a few games in mind that I already want, mostly fighting game stuff.

But can anyone recommend any other cool Japanese PS1 games that I should check out?

^ If you like the j-rpg genre, I can recommend you some :

Grandia

Jade Cocoon

Legend of Dragoon

Wild Arms

Persona 2

Valkyrie Profile : Lenneth

Arc the Lad

Besides j-rpg, one of the best 2D plat-form game on PS1 is Castlevania : Symphony of the Night.

And if you like some survivor horror games, there is Dino Crisis and obviously Resident Evil 1,2,3.

What old(er) video game consoles do you still play?

- Mostly SNES, but sometimes I play the N64.

What are some of your favorite games?

- Impossible to answer it, but I'll try.

(Legend of Zelda [the classic ones], Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Harvest Moon [1996], Donkey Kong Country Trilogy, ...)

Do you still buy "retro" games? If so, where?

- Rarely, but when I do, I buy it on ebay.

Do you feel older games offer something that the current generation games cannot?

- Difficult to answer it, because we don't have just the console and pc generation nowadays, but also the mobile platforms, Indie games and/or other social media game platforms.

I like to visit websites like hardcoregaming101 to find rare gems because it feels like older games has something different to offer, but at the same time, modern indie games are trying to follow this same "line" which focuses on gameplay and not just on realistic graphics or super productions.

I love older generations and I miss them a lot but I can't say the new one is worst, it has just changed a lot and I don't seem to understand what new gamers want, but I don't criticize them.

PS. I like Nintendo, Sega, Atari and Sony consoles plus (MS-DOS,Win9X) games.

It would be impossible to choose one of these "companies" because each one of them is different from each other.

Anyway, I could spend a whole day talking about this.

For older systems I've got;

NES

SNES

PS1

PS2

Dreamcast

I still play my SNES pretty regularly, like every year or so I like to run through Earthbound, or mess around in Mystical Ninja Goemon or UN Squadron.

Currently playing Valkyrie Profile 1 on my ps1.

Sign in to follow this