Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

Zess' Best Picks of Mid-2012

As the Maiku-proclaimed "Monochromium's Simon Cowell", I know that I have gained the reputation for ruthlessly dissecting the works of artists on an almost daily basis. While a lot of the albums I examine don't stand the test of time and consequently get wiped off my hard drive, there are quite a few releases that not only manage to stay on my hard drive but get me so excited that I can't wait to talk and share them with others. This list is a compilation of all the albums of 2012 that so far I deem to be the best of the best. Some of these albums are so good that at the end of the record I had to pick my jaw up off the floor.

2012 may be a rough year for music but even still there's diamonds out there waiting to be discovered. I hope that this list uncovers one or two for you. ;)

Note: This list only encompasses albums and mini-albums.

Zess' Best Album Picks of Mid-2012

Alcest - Les Voyages de l’Âme

ImageImage

Sample song: Beings of Light

Les Voyages de l’Âme is an interesting beast. Compared to his two earlier full-lengths, Alcest's third LP doesn't do anything special. So why does it have my stamp of approval? Quite simply, Alcest realizes that he doesn't have to reinvent the wheel to polish his sound. The boring passages on Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde were done away with in its entirety, the top-heavy nature of Écailles de Lune was smoothed out, and the best balance between black metal and shoegaze yet makes this album the ultimate culmination of Neige's fairytale sound. As far as sparkly black metal goes, it doesn't get much better than this.

Les Discrets - Ariettes Oubliées...

ImageImage

Sample song: La Traversée

Fursy Teyssier trades in atmosphere for a more technical musical approach his second time around and it pays off in spades. Ariettes Oubliées... is one of my favorite albums and fits into almost every situation. Fursy's mastering of texture isn't completely done away with here so fans of his more atmospheric approach to music don't need to fear being left out in the cold, but his compositional skills have jumped bounds since 2010. Ariettes Oubliées... is a grower and each listen reveals more secrets than the last. This is definitely an album that any post-rock enthusiast should have in their arsenal.

Fugenn & The White Elephants - Prays

ImageImage

Sample Song: Prays

Relaxing IDM with glitch elements never fails to put a smile to my face, and Fugenn's entry with "Prays" is quickly becoming one of those records that I find myself going to when I need to wind down. This record plays to his strengths - while there aren't many balls-to-the-wall glitch tracks like S_K from an4rm, there are enough tracks in the vein of Stillness or Narcissus ('m being one of my favorites on this release) that immerse me totally in the album and keep me coming back. Great stuff for when I'm in an introspective mood and the soundstage on this is near incredible when backed by some awesome speakers.

egoistic 4 leaves - aluva

ImageImage

Sample Song: trim

egoistic 4 leaves sure knows how to groove. The problem that a lot of bands have with the kind of music that egoistic plays are that they get too caught up in the complexity and the music is lifeless, but these guys don't have that problem. aluva is far from a meandering journey too in love with itself to excite the listener - on every song these guys step it up and bring it while remaining multitextured at every step of the way. This mix of instrumental jazz and indie is a wonderful addition to any addiction for calmer music.

Sigh - In Somniphobia

ImageImage

Sample Song: The Transfiguration Fear

For a band that has covered more ground both stylistically and acoustically than any other band I can think of, Sigh is understandably a tough band to categorize. The trademark Sigh "throw everything into the song, plus the kitchen sink, plus some of your neighbor's possessions for good measure" is ever present but what also surfaces here is the feeling that Sigh is playing as a band and not as a front-end to showcase Mirai and (more so) Mikannibal. Everyone fits in tastefully and all of the instruments get a chance to shine. For a band nearing twenty years of making music, Sigh's proved that they're still on top of their game.

東京事変 - color bars

ImageImage

Sample Song: 今夜はから騒ぎ

Ever heard the phrase "too many cooks in the kitchen"? Well, Tokyo Jihen was a case of too many Gordon Ramsay's in the kitchen. Rumor has it that Tokyo Jihen parted ways this year because of "creative differences" and color bars shows that in the most positive way possible. In five tracks, Shiina and company managed to find ways to stretch the sound of the band in every single possible direction. Sure, there's experimentation for the sake of experimentation and they took so many liberties I think New York City should invest in a green statue of Ringo crown and all, but through it all they made sure that whatever they did sounded good. color bars is great and a wonderful last release by the jazz-pop titans. Add it to your collection!

LITE - Past, Present, Future

ImageImage

Sample Song: 8

Having never been exposed to LITE until CAT5 introduced me to them, I have to say that their new EP did a lot to impress me on first listen. LITE's take on math rock hits a perfect balance between off-kilter angularity, abrasiveness, and clear melody. Past, Present, Future also sees the band's incorporation of female vocals. This was a controversial move that doesn't seem to be well-appreciated by some of the fanbase, but I think it works. It's not something that I listen to every day but when I want it, it fills the spot perfectly.

Ilaria Graziano & Francesco Forni - From Bedlam to Lenane

ImageImage

Sample Song: Mad Tom Of Bedlam

I'm not normally one for sexually crass statements but Ilaria Graziano's voice makes me wet myself. If I haven't made my point clear enough, let me try again: Ilaria Graziano is an Italian soprano with a penchant for hitting notes that send shivers down my spine with its perfection. Her output is rare and obscure but when it comes to music, she has the Mida's touch. On her latest venture, From Bedlam to Lenane, she takes on both a partner in the form of Francesco Forni and takes on a genre I haven't ever heard her attempt before. Armed with only those golden pipes of hers, the contrasting husky vocals of Forni and the latter's acoustic guitar, we have eleven tracks of acoustic folk music. The raw, more vulnerable version of Ilaria is just wonderful.

Basically this is just an awesome slice of acoustic and folk.

A (Anonymous Confederate Ensemble) - Tales For The Abyss

ImageImage

Sample Song: Night Of The Knights

I may be old and jaded but there's still a place left in my heart for visual kei bands. A, pronounced ACE, short for Anonymous Confederate Ensemble, has quickly shot to the top of my "VK Bands to Look Out For" with their release of the BLACK ALBUM and WHITE ALBUM EP's from last year. Tales For the Abyss reaffirms that A indeed have skills that kill. Utilizing Rookie Fiddler's unique (for the scene) violin lines to their fullest and incorporating lots of folk and world influences into their music puts A leagues ahead of their contemporaries who dare not try their combination of "a-rock". If you haven't gotten into this band yet, Tales For The Abyss is a wonderful entry into their world. It may be the record that changes your mind. Do not pass this opportunity up!

El-P - Cancer 4 Cure

ImageImage

Sample Song: Oh Hail No

Bombastic, big beat producer El-P is back with his first output in five years. With it comes the beats that are his trademark, but he also seems to have boned up on his flow and his metaphors. Tracks like The Full Retard see Meline weave from metaphor to metaphor while the beat switches constantly underneath it all, while there are "slower" pieces that see him take on the more traditional stance of a poet. Regardless, Cancer 4 Cure isn't your typical venture into mainstream American hip-hop - El-P constructed Cancer 4 Cure with the purpose in mind of discussing the importance of life even when everything seems lost. It's a wonderful lyrical journey from one of hip-hops more obscure acts.

Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music

ImageImage

Sample Song: Reagan

And on that same token, we have Killer Mike - a rapper with an undeniably unique flow who always flew just under the radar for one reason or another. On R.A.P. Music (which stands for Rebellious African People Music), we are first hit with the stunner Big Beast. It's all braggadocio in the finest like one would expect from hip-hop, but Michael Render wastes no time in switching gears. R.A.P. Music ends up venturing down the path of the brutally honest poet, discussing such diverse topics as politics, the disappointment of "the game" and the current state of hip-hop, life growing up in the hood and corruption in the police force. What's even more remarkable about all of this is that Render manages to pull this off without claiming himself the King of Anything. Take one somewhat unconventional emcee and place him over the organic, big beats of producer El-P and you have the hard-hitting R.A.P. Music. For fans of hip-hop, I can't recommend this enough.

EA - METEO

ImageImage

Sample Song: Red Block On The Hill

METEO is the Japanese synth/indie pop's group's first release, and it's remarkably cohesive. Fans of school food punishment looking for a substitute may not find everything that they loved about the latter in this group, but there's enough here to love in its own right. The lyrical dexterity of the frontwoman comes out when she sings the title track in both perfect Japanese and French pronunciation (did I mention she's half-French?) and the backing guitarist/jack-of all trades manages to mix a healthy dose of electronica with guitar and drums. If you're armed with a respectable speaker system, you'll begin to appreciate his little flourishes all the more. The indie-pop vibe that they give off may turn some off with its roughness around the edges, but for a band's first release METEO is as solid as it gets.

My only gripe is that I wish they had a slightly less "ungoogleable" name that they didn't share with an equally as excellent funeral doom metal band.

JiLL-Decoy Association - Lovely

ImageImage

Sample Song: DISLIKE

I haven't been listening to JiLL-Decoy association for all that long but they instantly won me over with sultry chihiRo's vocals and their smoky jazz lounge sound. I can also confidently say that I've never heard a band work a formula quite so well in a long time. There's a distinct JDA sound that they harness in each and every track and once you listen, you'll understand what I mean. In comparison to the rest of their output, Lovely is on the quieter, more laid back side. This allows chihiRo to shine to the fullest, and shine she does. If Ilaria Graziano makes me wet myself, chihiRo runs a close second for "favorite female vocalist of 2011". Fans of 8-eit and Tokyo Jihen will feel right at home with JDA.

I'm also taking this time to mention that they're releasing quite a few albums this year, so stay tuned for more wonderful jazz music from them.

+++

It may be the halfway point of the year but I know there's quite a few albums that haven't been released yet that have the potential of being great! 2012 looks like it's shaping up to be the year for alternative styles of Japanese music, but not so much VK.

Feedback, comments, hate mail, etc. are welcome (except for the hate mail). Also, keep your eyes peeled for the "Best of 2012" lists coming out in December!

wow, i know exactly nothing from that (heard of A but never bothered to listen)

i think i'm up for a discovery-trip :P

...My only gripe is that I wish they had a slightly less "ungoogleable" name that they didn't share with an equally as excellent funeral doom metal band...

(and a polish drone/ambient band... :) )

JiLL-Decoy Association is :wub:

I think I'm gonna have to check out Tales For The Abyss. I can't say I enjoyed A's Black or White albums too much, nor the Black Butterfly single (blasphemy!), but the Night of Knights single kinda got me interested. The review section has given me hope as you and some other people mentioned that Shangri-la wasn't really the best track on the album (which is a relief, because I didn't like the preview at all).

I think i'll try Les Discrets out too. It seems like something I could potentially get into.

Thanks for the list!

It's nice to see EA and FTWE on the list. I might give cancer 4 cure a try, your description sounds promising!

Definitely supporting the presence of Color Bars and Lite's new EP (which I forgot to mention on my list, whatevs)...and ACE's album as well.

Quite interested in Fugenn. Egoistic 4 Leaves and Jill-Decoy's new one :)

Keep it up Zess!

Great list as always, Zess! Quite a few picks that I need to try out.

I'm also glad that I bought egoistic 4 leaves' album. Although it didn't quite make my list, it still has some great tracks. ;}

Sign in to follow this