Sign in to follow this  
Spike760

[METAL] Children of Bodom

Children of Bodom

107607.jpg

Similar Japanese Artist: BLOOD STAIN CHILD

Children of Bodom is a Finnish band from the city of Espoo, near Helsinki.

The name of the band comes from one of the most famous Finnish murder cases of all time. (The murdering of three teenagers one night at Lake Bodom back in the 60's.) Four teenagers (2 girls, 2 boys) went camping one night and three out of the four ended up being murdered. Irmeli Björklund (15 yrs), Tuulikki Mäki (15 yrs), and Seppo Boisman (18 yrs) were the three murdered... Nils Gustafsson (who was also 18 at the time) was the only one who survived. Up until 2004 he had lived a normal life, but then he was arrested by the Police who had reopened the investigation. The reinvestigation had uncovered evidence and testimony that supported a scenario in which Gustafsson got drunk and killed his friends in a fit of jealousy. In 2005 among much controversy the court found him not guilty.

Early Children of Bodom albums are inspired by classical music and death metal (Red Light in My Eyes pt. 1 starts with a line from J.S. Bach's Invention No.13 in A minor and Red Light in My Eyes pt. 2 includes selections from Mozart's 25th Symphony), and later albums are more inspired by a commercial thrash and hair metal, losing some of its earlier melodic style. A precise definition for their musical genre is discussed by fans and the specialized press alike, often discounting the influences of the band and the composition of songs. The lyrics of their songs are written in the English language and are often of a simplistic nature, dealing with the subjects of death and personal struggles. As the band grows in experience, so does their playing style. They seem to change one way or another with every album that gets released. Even the album cover arts seems to change as the band grows. They are now also hitting the mainstream part of metal, their name and style being more known now. COB continues to inspire many musicians alike and more join the COBHC everyday.

The bandmembers include Alexi Laiho (lead guitar and vocals), Janne Warman (keyboard), Roope Latvala (rhythm guitar), Jaska Raatikainen (drums) and Henkka T. Blacksmith (bass guitar).

Ex-members are Alexander Kuoppala (rhythm guitar 1995-2003, Jani Pirisjoki - Keyboards (1995-1997), Samuli Miettinen - Bass (1993-1995) and Erna Siikavirta - Keyboards (1998 European Tour)

This band is frickin' awesome, I used to listen to them before I listened to Japanese Rock, I don't think I have any of my songs still though, but they're really good if you want to check them out. I heard all their new stuff sucks a lot though.

http://www.myspace.com/childrenofbodom

I liked them quite a bit before I started with J-music. I really liked Needled 24/7, but sometimes the screaming all the time got a little annoying.

Their music isn't really my cup of tea, lol. They are pretty popular in Finland though. My cousin also is huge fan of theirs :P

Yeah, I actually just started getting into them...they're so metal...a little too metal for me lol

but I like some of their stuff, definitely a good band!

Ahhh, they used to be my favorite bands. My band actually got a supporting spot on the NY date in one of their first US tours(w/ Dimmu Borgir and Hypocrisy). I missed them because we had to set up in the other room during their set =/

I love Childern of Bodom too. Thier guitarists are pretty good too. Not like Herman Lee, but still an awesome band. One of my favortie tracks is Childern of Decadence.

You all just love Finland, admit it!

Yeah, I haven't really listened to their music that much.

Or, to think about it.. helluva lot o.o

And that's thanks to my little bro, who used to listen to their stuff all the time, and even though I kept complaining him about how bad music it was, I soon noticed that I actually could sing along the lyrics (some parts) and that it wasn't that bad. : D

I love Childern of Bodom too.? Thier guitarists are pretty good too. Not like Herman Lee, but still an awesome band. One of my favortie tracks is Childern of Decadence.

Roope blows away Herman and Sam, and Alexi is way better than Sam.

If you love these guys, check out Norther. Identical sound but slightly less technical and less wankery in keys and solos.

as for CoB, i love the first 3 albums. Hatebreeder is my fav. Hate crew deathroll had some moments (lil bloodred ridin hood)

Are you dead yet was, I'm afraid to say, HORRIBLE. what the hell happened.

Are you dead yet was, I'm afraid to say, HORRIBLE. what the hell happened.

Their hair grew too long.

what the fuck are you trippin on

Are You Dead Yet was a melodical MASTERPIECE

sure, less deathy and straightforward then their early shit

but they are becoming more melodic and much better to enjoy

i mean, its good for the ears and good for the 'pit

but i believe all their works were magnificant

so whatever

if you truly love a band, you should have likes or dislikes

sure you can have opinions

but its like having children

you cant like one more than the other

but alas, i must respect your opinion

and i am quite dissapointed that there are less classical traces there and keyboard is less...RAWR

so yea

the problem with most bands with full time keyboardists is that they dont know when to shut up and not play!

I think Dark Tranquillity is the only band right now that the keyboardist dosen't have the ego to put in a solo in every song or doubling the backing all the time! its so saturated and annoying when they do that nonstop!

You havent been listening to Bodom long have you? I dont want to be an elitist here, but most fans who have been around since bodoms early days have pretty much resigned to the fact that they are going downhill. And there is a whole new legion of 14 year olds who worship Alexi and think Are you dead yet is their best album.

I cant find a single song on that album that interests me.

Something Wild, Hatebreeder and Follow the Reaper were good albums. HCD is tolerable, but the other two are utter garbage.

I've only heard their newer songs and I was immediately turned off by them. Maybe I'll try some of their older stuff when I can.

I love their first three albums, Hatebreeder being my favourite of the three. Hate Crew Deathroll I really like Needled 24/7 but the other songs are sort of hit of miss for me. I've also enjoyed some songs from Are You Dead Yet? but I haven't listened to anything else after that album. But for the most part I can leave Hatebreeder on repeat.

Used to listen to them a HELL OF ALOT before i got into jap music... Was my fav band, still listen to them occasionally but no where near as much as i used to :) i do recommend them though.

I'm not a melodic death metal connesieur though.

Most what they have released isn't melodic death metal anyway, so that shouldn't be a problem. Something Wild is stilla decent melodeath album, but far from anything spectacular. Hatebreeder is a decent power metal album, but nothing amazing. The rest just suck.

Coolest thing about both albums though is that they both has the Miami Vice theme song in them, and that's kinda badass. But that's the only thing that's badass about these albums as well. Miami Vice (the TV-series, not the crappy movie).<3

Sign in to follow this