Ito

Game of Thrones

How do the book readers here feel about the rape scene in the last episode? It pretty much confirmed what I already knew: that is D&D are obsessed with sexual violence against women. I mean for fucks sake Jamie literally lost a hand to protect Brienne from getting raped. it is so out of character for him to rape Cersei, but D&D just couldn't pass up the opportunity to turn consensual sex into rape to "shock" the audience. This shit scene is not as powerful as what really happened where the two twins have sex while Cersei is on her period. I really want to like the show like I do the books. I understand it isn't and can't be a perfect adaptation, but man the writers have really fucked up big time and it isn't their first time. I'm with nekkichi in saying that the show is doing a crap job at handling any situation involving sex and women.

idk, I don't read the books and I have no problem liking the show, in fact I love the show and everything about it. If reading the books is gonna make me not like the show then I would just rather not read them at all... That's just how much I enjoy watching it. I didn't really care much for the rape scene or how everyone seems to be upset by it, it was shocking and all but I wouldn't really say it was unexpected or out of character, but then again I don't read the books so I really don't know how Jamie's character is supposed to be. What was more shocking (to me at least) was where and when he was raping her not really the act of the rape.

not a bookreader aswell, and i also find it not really out of character for jamie tbqh. it was just a harsh reminder after a period of -not that ill-mannered behavior- that he is the one that basically started all this by happily trying to murder a 10 year old boy, just to protect a "secret" that everybody knows anyway. shocking yes, out of character, not really (if anything his tameness before was more surprising, but this ambivalence in the characters is what i like so much about the show :) )

also @zess at a show with more than 1 sources like this you might want to specify if it's book or tv-show spoilers ;)

EDIT: also, yes nudity etc doesn't ruin anything, but the rather systematic and simple "tits/dicks of the week" concept is rather annoying. i might even find it pretty offensive compered to the otherwise thought through and well executed series/episodes. that's just like putting mayonnaise on each and every meal, including the dessert :P (and i love me some mayonnaise...)

idk, I don't read the books and I have no problem liking the show, in fact I love the show and everything about it. If reading the books is gonna make me not like the show then I would just rather not read them at all... That's just how much I enjoy watching it. I didn't really care much for the rape scene or how everyone seems to be upset by it, it was shocking and all but I wouldn't really say it was unexpected or out of character, but then again I don't read the books so I really don't know how Jamie's character is supposed to be. What was more shocking (to me at least) was where and when he was raping her not really the act of the rape.

Except it is out of character and you don't know it yet. All I'll say here is that the consensual part of it was important because of interactions that will happen between Jaime and Cersei later, and where they are as a couple then is a stark contrast to where they are as a couple now. People can chalk it up to the show being different from the books, but what I'm alluding to is something so big it can't be altered. Those that read the books know what I mean.

In the book, Cersei was originally fighting Jaime off not because she didn't want it, but because she was afraid of getting caught. She gives in and then says "ok ok make it quick". The show just cut that out altogether to make Jaime the bad guy and Cersei the victim. Jaime isn't the bad guy. Cersei isn't the victim. There are no good or bad guys in this story - just people with differing motivations.

Does it really matter how much it strays off from the books? It's called an adaptation for a reason. As long as it's good (and makes sense within the context of the medium), then who cares? The book and the show should be viewed as 2 different entities, not as one. It's not a fair comparison for the adaptation to the original source. That's just my 2 cents on the whole thing.

Does it really matter how much it strays off from the books? It's called an adaptation for a reason. As long as it's good (and makes sense within the context of the medium), then who cares? The book and the show should be viewed as 2 different entities, not as one. It's not a fair comparison for the adaptation to the original source. That's just my 2 cents on the whole thing.

That's the thing though it doesn't make sense for the show writers to do this in any medium. JAMIE LOST HIS HAND BECAUSE HE DIDN'T WANT BRIENNE TO GET RAPED IN THE BOOKS AND THE SHOW. How come the people who are defending the show's decision just gloss over the fact that Jamie is very much against sexual violence against women? Jamie's scenes in book 3 and season 3 are supposed to redeem him of the things he did in the previous books/seasons (which was mostly seen through the eyes of Starks). Yeah he pushed a kid out of a window, but he did it because he loved his sister and wanted to protect her status as queen. Yeah he attacked Ned in KL, but his brother had been kidnapped and held hostage by Ned's wife. Yeah he killed the king he was supposed to protect, but he did it because the king was psychotic and was gonna burn a half million people. To have him rape the woman he loves (sister or not) is fucking character assassination.

All I know is i like the show and I don't care, I'm not gonna let something stupid like a rape scene ruin it for me. Worrying about if it was within character or not is just a waste of time. I personally think it wasn't out of character and could totally see him doing it, but whatever it's a show that I'm currently enjoying and I'm not gonna let something so miniscule kill it for me.

jfc how the hell did someone so stupid and condescending get promoted to staff. Good to know that the staff here think sexual violence is a miniscule issue. You really need to shut up, cause you have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

It's a show. it's not real. if it was real then it would be a totally different story. I'm just saying that I enjoy the show and I'm not gonna let this ruin it for me. Why do you have to take every little thing and blow it out of proportion?

and on another note, why do you have to bring me being a staff member into the picture? I'm just a fan posting my opinions on a forum thread. My life doesn't revolve around being a staff member, and I shouldn't have to keep my opinions in check just because I am apart of the staff.

btw I'm pretty sure you're insulting me on a personal level in your post, which is against the rules... I'm not gonna give you a warning since I was directly involved but that's a line you should never cross. It really just goes to show how an individual can't take other people's opinions at face value and just ignore it, but instead feels the need to insult somebody because they don't agree. I didn't really mean to get you going but this is the internet and you shouldn't take something so seriously, like I said it's a tv show and has no consequence whether he raped her or not. so just chill please.

Nothing to see here folks. keep on moving, back to the topic at hand please.

Miasma, there is no need for insults.

I've never read the books, but I agree the scene probably could have been handled a bit differently. Episode three was fairly slow in general, so perhaps the production team took the cheap/raunchy way out by throwing rape into the equation in an attempt to "spice" things up. Who knows.

What I do know, however, is that this is a fictional television series. You may have strong views when it comes to certain topics of social justice, but to be perfectly frank with you, none of that has any place here. If certain aspects of GoT anger you to the point where you have to lash out at other people who don't share your opinion, then perhaps watching this show isn't a healthy pastime for you.

Please try to be more respectful from here on out.

Just because you save someone from being raped, doesn't mean you can't rape yourself. That goes for about everything in real life. It's possible, and it happens in real life too. I don't see the big problem here.

By the way, anyone read what George R.R. Martin said about it himself? Essentially, he says that it’s unclear in the book scene whether Jaime rapes Cersei or not, as the scene is told from Jaime’s point of view, and is therefore only one side of the story.

Not that it matters though. He wouldn't know shit as he probably didn't even read the books after they were released. ROFL! Loooooser!

He might be lying though. I wouldn't know.

But I am not so sure the scene was meant as rape either. Deep inside herself Cersei seemed to want it to be honest. The way she kisses him back like a monster and even puts her legs around him suggests that she wants it a bit, doesn't it? She's trying to resist, but can't. No oen else got this feeling from the scene?

Yes that was some amazing acting, It was so tense and felt so real... I had goosebumps the entire time :D I can't wait for the nest episode, I'm really hype now xD

S4E8 spoilers

Really great episode my favorite of the season so far. They're moving through Sansa's story really quickly, but we finally get Alayne!! Arya at the Vale is weird, but I'm interested to see how it plays out. Her laugh at the Bloody Gate was the funniest scene ever too. Jorah's exile wasn't that memorable tbh. How come they never had him kiss Dany like in the books? I think that was a really defining moment for his character, at least it was for me. I don't think the show has done a very good job at showing that he really has feelings for her, which would have made his exile all the more heartbreaking.

But the Red Viper vs The Mountain scene was perfect. Loved every second of it; shot, choreographed, and acted beautifully. Poor Ellaria :( I hope the show does more with her, I really like her actress and think it'd be a waste of a great casting to just have her go back to Dorne. I know it's a probably a huge stretch, but I hope that they'll fuse Taena's character with Ellaria (like the show has done with other characters already).

also check this out http://mccomseycomix.wordpress.com/2013/06/26/the-red-viper-vs-the-mountain-that-rides-a-12-page-comic/ it's a really well made comic of the Red Viper vs. The Mountain fight scene, and some of my fave asoiaf fan art.

I agree with Miasma. Sad to see one of my favorite characters die, but everyone's gonna be dead anyway. I personally think the fighting scene between Oberyn and Gregor was a bit too short, but nonetheless it was as brutal and beautiful as I pictured it to be. I just wish Oberyn had more interactions with Tyrion..............

Oh shit that was sick! Didn't see that coming. And I should not lurk around in GoT threads anyway... hate the spoilers.

Oh shit that was sick! Didn't see that coming. And I should not lurk around in GoT threads anyway... hate the spoilers.

yeah until you watch the last two episodes you definitely want to stay the hell away from the Internet. Literally no place is safe, I was playing BL2 on steam the other day and someone's username was a HUUUUGE spoiler. I mean I already knew but if any show-watcher saw that it'd ruin a lot for them.

ughh why did they kill him? they better not kill the other guy because the dumbass didnt make sure the fucker couldn't move. The fight sucked though, and that wasn't brutal or sick. the best kill was the massacre when they thought they were welcomed and they got the pregnant girl. I'm glad for simon though, im down for him killing his father.  best part of the ep was sansa (her and little finger would be interesting).

This season is the best so far. Amazing performances by so many actors(especially Peter Dinklage/Tyrion, Pedro Pascal/Oberyn and Alfie Allen/Theon).

Can't wait for the last episode. I reaaaaaaally hope they include a certain scene (the epilogue of ASOS).