Ito

Game of Thrones

Caught the episode a little ... earlier than usual.. today.

For once, I actually loved pretty much everything that happened in this episode. Lots of interesting character moments.

EXCEPT

Arya's storyline continues to annoy me. How convenient that

A. Arya survives severe gut stabs (and possible infection from dunking herself into undoubtedly filthy water)
B. Arya is able to make her way back to the actress
C. The actress is, miraculously, skilled at patching up gut stab wounds and has poppy milk
D. Arya recovers enough just in time to run away from the Waif in a ridiculous chase scene (Waif reminded me of the Terminator or some shit)
E. Arya is able to defeat the Waif in a literal blind fight that we don't get to see
F. Arya cuts off the Waif's face and brings it to the Hall of Faces and walks away from Jaqen calmly.. despite having re-opened her wounds during the chase.

Sure it's awesome that Arya is so cool and has apparently become really good at running and fighting while blind, but my suspension of disbelief is being stretched reaaaaaal thin.

Edited by peffy

Spoiler

WOW HBO you are cruel for that Lady Stoneheart tease. lol I'm also just like WTF Sandor and The Brotherhood without Banners are now a thing and they are talking about fighting the The Other(s)?  This is like the exact opposite of the Stoneheart plot from the books and I'm really curious how they are gonna tie this in together???? 

Cersei is now screwed no matter what. I'm pretty sure I know what they are gonna have her do from the way Qyburn was talking to her. I wish the show would stop relying on so much symmetry with the characters, it's making them predictable. 

Seems like Arya is accepting the Stark "curse" and rolling with it.  Because every single thing that family does crashes and burns. Ned as Hand of the King? Nope. Rob as King of the North? Uh-uh. Sansa as Queen? Not quite. Catelyn protecting her children? Sorry. Jon as Lord Commander of the Night's Watch? See ya. And now Arya turns out not to be a Faceless Man after all... This leaves me pretty jaded about Bran doing very well, or Rickon doing much of anything really. Number one thing all the Starks need to learn is DON'T LEAVE WINTERFELL. 

Also it's similarly convenient that Varys leaves Mereen just as it's attacked? Hmmmmm... 

This has actually been my least favorite episode of the season so far. There were a few interesting tidbits, but overall I was mostly left feeling underwhelmed.

There were a few off-screen deaths. As much as I hated to see him go, there would have been some satisfaction seeing the blackfish take his last stand...especially after they kept driving in just how stubborn/persistent he is. I'm guessing he died pretty embarrassingly, though, and if so then bleh.  I would have especially liked to see the waif meet her maker, though! After 6 seasons, I guess I've become blood-thirsty myself

:(

The hound meeting up with the brotherhood was pretty cool.  That was probably my favorite part of the ep, even if it was super predictable.

Arya's arc has NOT been sitting well with me, but I'm glad that it FINALLY seems to be moving on. I don't really feel like she's become the badass that I'd have hoped her to be by this point. Will she still be able to do the faceless stuff?

Even though I get that the siege was supposed to be protracted, I feel like that entire situation went on a bit too long.

All of the tension in the capital....It's a fucking powder keg, and I'm just waiting for it to explode somehow.

I have a feeling that Tyrion and Varys won't be seeing each other again. That parting seemed a bit too dramatic.

I wonder if we will get to see the battle between Dany and the masters or if we'll just see the aftermath? I'm guessing the latter since I doubt episode 9 will go there.

Really hype for the next Ep. Looks like the entirety will revolve around the upcoming battle, and it looks set to be epic!

7 hours ago, CAT5 said:

All of the tension in the capital....It's a fucking powder keg, and I'm just waiting for it to explode somehow.

wink wink nudge nudge?

Good episode, but I feel like by rushing to the end of the season at this speed we missed opportunities for some good fights. This episode would have had a few. Nothing big but since they are all missing I feel like they're cutting corners. Hopefully this is so the last two episodes are where the action is at!

The theme of this episode appears to be loss. Everyone loses someone. Arya loses Lady Crane, Tyrion loses Varys, Cersei loses Tommen to the High Sparrow, etc. No One is a very good title looking back.

I should get out of the way early that there are so many missed scenes. I could have seen the Blackfish's shadow get stabbed as he took his last stand. I should have heard the clashing of swords and a gasp of pain after Arya cut the lights. Spending so much time on these stories and then resolving them off-screen is so lame. I want to see blood and death damn it! And if I don't I want the suggestion of it!
  • BTW the whole blackfish/jaime/brienne subarc was a waste of time in the books and the show didn't handle it much better. Brienne and Jaime as characters need to do something but with all of the other dangling plot lines they have yet to resolve spending 20 minutes forcing a castle to submit peacefully is pretty lame.

I was especially sad when Tyrion talked of his dream of making his own wine that only his close friends can drink. Silly imp you have no friends! 5 seconds of Dany coming to the rescue is literally all I needed this week. Alternate next week between sieging Meereen and retaking Winterfell and we're set for a pretty intense episode!

I was one of those book readers that believed Sandor would come back but only within the context to fight his dead brother's corpse. Now that trial by combat is forbidden throughout the realm will the Clegane's cross swords in the battlefield? It's not looking likely for this season because next episode is going to be focused around Winterfell.

• Also Robert Strong is a savage for ripping that guy's head off like that Terraformars-style.

Arya's plot is coming to an end. It's unfortunate to see so many people disliking her arc as I feel like there's lots of potential here. One does not join the Faceless Men, take their training, and then simply leave. They usually kill you. Arya is the first to do that and only because Jaqen let her go. She's not a full-on assassin but she's good enough to take out The Waif. I will concede that her plot felt ridiculous at times and took too long to get to this point but now she has everything she needs to take more names off her list. I have no idea what she plans on doing next but if I were her, I would head to King's Landing.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Sand Snakes but wtf are they doing? They overthrew Dorne in the first or second episode and then have been too quiet. I expect to see them again before the season is out.

More episode 8 thoughts. Maybe I wasn't as satisfied with this episode as I initially thought. Too many plot issues.

- With all the skipped fight scenes, many people got the impression the showrunners were saving money for the upcoming epic battle.

- Arya's entire story in this episode would've been much more plausible, and she would've looked less like an idiot at the end of last episode, if she'd noticed Waif at the last second and dodged, getting a less serious stab or cut (say, in the left arm or shoulder or something). She still could've run to the actress, gotten treated (more plausible that she'd know first aid, instead of treating multiple stomach stab wounds), and had her chase scene be far more believable. The whole thing makes me feel like the writers just wanted a dramatic cliffhanger. But as a consequence, they made Arya look dumb, like her "assassin" training was insufficient, and she's only alive due to a series of lucky breaks that allowed her to survive & lead the Waif into her hideout.

- The Blackfish being so stubborn pissed me off. Why the hell would he commit "suicide by Lannister" by refusing to go with Brienne? "I could help my niece reclaim her castle, or just die here for no reason like a fucking idiot......... Fuck Sansa, fuck Winterfell, I'M A TULLY, I WAS BORN HERE AND I WILL DIE HERE."

- Also, unless I'm misremembering it, what the hell was up with Edmure walking into Riverrun, looking directly at Blackfish, ignoring him, walking up to the ramparts, and THEN telling his men to "Find Blackfish". DUDE YOU WERE JUST LOOKING AT HIM WTF??????

Aside from those problems, I really enjoyed the Hound & Brotherhood, Pod & Bronn, Brienne & Jamie, Jamie & Edmure, Cersei & Tommen, Tyrion & Missandei/Grey Worm scenes.

Edited by peffy

7 hours ago, Zeus said:

Hide contents
  • BTW the whole blackfish/jaime/brienne subarc was a waste of time in the books and the show didn't handle it much better. Brienne and Jaime as characters need to do something but with all of the other dangling plot lines they have yet to resolve spending 20 minutes forcing a castle to submit peacefully is pretty lame.

Arya's plot is coming to an end. It's unfortunate to see so many people disliking her arc as I feel like there's lots of potential here.

1. at least in the book there was cliffhanger-ish outcome when Brienne took Jaime to meet Lady Stoneheart. and i'm pretty sure he will meet his end there.

2. i also disliked it because in the books you could feel Arya's strong spirit through all of her chapters, while here she got kicked and looked pretty much petty all the time. also they've managed to drag out like 5 chapters for 2 whole seasons. meh

On 6/12/2016 at 10:56 PM, doombox said:
  Hide contents

I wish the show would stop relying on so much symmetry with the characters, it's making them predictable. 

Also it's similarly convenient that Varys leaves Mereen just as it's attacked? Hmmmmm... 

I agree that this season has been really predictable so far. As enjoyable as it is to watch, sometimes I feel like i'm just watching them go through the motions with no real investment on my part. I'm not sure if it's because showrunners are trying to wrap things up or if we've just come to know the characters so well that their actions perfectly jive with our expectations. Probably both...Maybe it's because it seems near impossible to avoid fan theories these days!

Also, It would blow my mind if Varys was somehow connected to the attack. I REALLY hope not, though - he really believes in Dany and Tyrion is his friend, right?? Either way, I don't think this will end well.... :(

20 hours ago, Zeus said:

Hide contents

I'm not the biggest fan of the Sand Snakes but wtf are they doing? They overthrew Dorne in the first or second episode and then have been too quiet. I expect to see them again before the season is out.

Honestly, that arc felt like such filler in the 5th season. I would not have missed it. I am guessing D&D seeded Dorne in the first ep for a reason, but...it's so unclear as to why atm.

20 hours ago, Zeus said:

Hide contents

Arya's plot is coming to an end. It's unfortunate to see so many people disliking her arc as I feel like there's lots of potential here. One does not join the Faceless Men, take their training, and then simply leave. They usually kill you. Arya is the first to do that and only because Jaqen let her go. She's not a full-on assassin but she's good enough to take out The Waif. I will concede that her plot felt ridiculous at times and took too long to get to this point but now she has everything she needs to take more names off her list. I have no idea what she plans on doing next but if I were her, I would head to King's Landing.

12 hours ago, Gaz said:

Hide contents

2. i also disliked it because in the books you could feel Arya's strong spirit through all of her chapters, while here she got kicked and looked pretty much petty all the time. also they've managed to drag out like 5 chapters for 2 whole seasons. meh

I agree that this arc had a ton of potential, but overall, I don't get the impression that Arya is all that better off than when she began. We only saw her do the face-swap thing once when assassinating Meryn Trant. They did not go into the mechanics of it, but is that something she'll be able to perform at will from now on??? And if she could, why didn't she use it to fool/escape the waif? Like, ok she can fight in the dark now...but other than, I don't sense much development in her skills nor her character.

16 hours ago, peffy said:

Hide contents

- The Blackfish being so stubborn pissed me off. Why the hell would he commit "suicide by Lannister" by refusing to go with Brienne? "I could help my niece reclaim her castle, or just die here for no reason like a fucking idiot......... Fuck Sansa, fuck Winterfell, I'M A TULLY, I WAS BORN HERE AND I WILL DIE HERE."

- Also, unless I'm misremembering it, what the hell was up with Edmure walking into Riverrun, looking directly at Blackfish, ignoring him, walking up to the ramparts, and THEN telling his men to "Find Blackfish". DUDE YOU WERE JUST LOOKING AT HIM WTF??????

I agree about The Blackfish being an idiot. He was a good character, but...Why didn't he just go with Brienne? He COULD have went with Sansa, and say they actually take back winterfell, does he think Sansa would serve under the lannisters!?!? ofc not! He would have most certainly had a chance to retake Riverrun in the future if he'd been more patient.

Also, and the video I linked below raised this point, but why did Edmure practically kill/trade in his uncle for a wife and kid that he could not have possibly known very well????

And some random musings:

If the brotherhood are going north (and seeing how fast ppl have been getting around this season), would it be too farfetched to believe they could serve as reinforcements in the battle of the bastards?

Or will Baelish arrive and save the day? And if Baelish does arrive with the knights of the veil, will he simply serve Sansa/Jon or try to take control of the chaos for himself?

Also, @beni and I like to watch the episode reactions @ GameSpot on YT after each ep. These guys raise some interesting points sometimes!

also LMAOOOOO @ this comment:

"Arya is DEAD!!! The Waif killed Arya and cut her OWN FACE off and stole Arya's face and identity! She's is now NO ONE (just like Jaqen confirmed and then smirked when she said that she was Arya Stark). Mind blown! She will pretend to be Arya of House Stark to carry out a mission. THEY KILLED ARYA and NO ONE..... NO ONE knows it! lol. D&D trolling hard."

That would be INSANE if that actually happened - since we didn't actually witness the fight, but Arya is too much of a favorite to get that kind of a harsh treatment IMO.

Edited by CAT5

4 hours ago, CAT5 said:

I agree that this season has been really predictable so far. As enjoyable as it is to watch, sometimes I feel like i'm just watching them go through the motions with no real investment on my part. I'm not sure if it's because showrunners are trying to wrap things up or if we've just come to know the characters so well that their actions perfectly jive with our expectations. Probably both...Maybe it's because it seems near impossible to avoid fan theories these days!

Also, and the video I linked below raised this point, but why did Edmure practically kill/trade in his uncle for a wife and kid that he could not have possibly known very well????

And some random musings:

If the brotherhood are going north (and seeing how fast ppl have been getting around this season), would it be too farfetched to believe they could serve as reinforcements in the battle of the bastards?

Or will Baelish arrive and save the day? And if Baelish does arrive with the knights of the veil, will he simply serve Sansa/Jon or try to take control of the chaos for himself?

Also, @beni and I like to watch the episode reactions @ GameSpot on YT after each ep. These guys raise some interesting points sometimes!

also LMAOOOOO @ this comment:

"Arya is DEAD!!! The Waif killed Arya and cut her OWN FACE off and stole Arya's face and identity! She's is now NO ONE (just like Jaqen confirmed and then smirked when she said that she was Arya Stark). Mind blown! She will pretend to be Arya of House Stark to carry out a mission. THEY KILLED ARYA and NO ONE..... NO ONE knows it! lol. D&D trolling hard."

That would be INSANE if that actually happened - since we didn't actually witness the fight, but Arya is too much of a favorite to get that kind of a harsh treatment IMO.

I guess they've been foreshadowing so much and those like us who follow it closely know where everyone has to go now to do what they've been promising for the last 6 years lol. I dunno maybe I'm just ready for Cersei/Jaime and Dany's plots to finally gain some momentum so it's not just another week of Cersei sneering at everyone, Dany yelling at everyone, Arya would have also been in that list until last episode. 

I dunno if I suspect him to be the coordinator but I think he might have knew and this is some kind of test for Dany? Like, if she can't fight off the Masters, how can she conquer Westeros?

I thought Edmure did it so no more of their men had to die fighting a fight he knew they would lose? I saw it as like... he can give up Blackfish or everyone else and probably his own life too. 

Baelish will always serve his own agenda first, I think. Like he told Ned in the first season... don't trust anyone, especially him! That would be cool if the Brothers without Banners joined the fight. Maybe it'd be a good reason for Melisandre's character to come back too since she would need to tell them about Jon and the PwwP prophecy?

I love the GoT channels! I'll add this one to the list. I watch Emergency Awesome and  and GoT Academy pretty religiously. 

And lol omg the Arya theories were hilarious online. I loved the Arya Fight Club one where the Waif was all in her head. But alas I think it's not that deep. Arya is just stubborn old normal Arya. XD

On 14.6.2016 at 4:18 PM, peffy said:
  Hide contents

Aside from those problems, I really enjoyed the Hound & Brotherhood, Pod & Bronn, Brienne & Jamie, Jamie & Edmure, Cersei & Tommen, Tyrion & Missandei/Grey Worm scenes.

I loved the scenes with Tyrion, Missandei and Grey Worm. I felt like they finally managed to make both Missandei and Grey Worm more human. I really liked that.

Am I the only one who found the lighting in the scene where Jamie watches Brienne and Pod leave awful? It's like the completely forgot they had  to light the scene. It was painful to watch. One of the worst moments in the series till now. Amateurish.

As far as the fights goes I'm not bothered by them skipping them. Ever since they changed fight choreographeer before season 5(?) tthe quality of the fights dropped quite a lot, with the majority of them being awful. They've looked very theatre-esque, as in simple, sloppy and slow.

However, I thought this was another good episode. Very enjoyable as usual.

2 hours ago, Bear said:

Am I the only one who found the lighting in the scene where Jamie watches Brienne and Pod leave awful? It's like the completely forgot they had  to light the scene. It was painful to watch. One of the worst moments in the series till now. Amateurish.

Not at all you couldn't see a damn thing! Scene would have been so much more effective with better lighting. Even if we didn't get to see him die, seeing the Blackfish's shadow go up the steps and brandish a sword is effective enough. Seeing Brienne and Pod turn back and walk down the way they came would have been nice too. That scene was most likely done in just one take because it isn't all that important.

Daenerys' battle was way too predictable(ridiculous, even).

Jon's battle was also predictable but i enjoyed watching it a lot. 

I still think Hardhome is my favorite battle so far but this was pretty damn great. 

Spoiler

I thought Jon was gonna die at least 10 times. And that trampling scene, holy shiiiiiiiit.

Also seeing the Yara/Dany alliance was surprisingly satisfying.  Just get on some damn boats already.

episode 9 thoughts

Spoiler

- Jon's got some thick-ass plot armour. It was kind of funny how often he avoided injury/death. Like somehow not getting immediately cut down when he faced the entire cavalry charge by himself, or avoiding every arrow in multiple volleys, or when a dude was charging at him from behind and another guy smashed the first dude at the last second..

- Which is not to say I didn't actually feel nervous for Jon throughout the battle. The scenes where he (stupidly) charged in by himself, and when he was being trampled (though I don't know how he didn't get seriously hurt during that), and when the shield guys circled his army, and even at the end when he was bashing Ramsay's face.. I was worried that while he was looking at Sansa, Ramsay would pull out some hidden knife and stab him.

- Lol @ the "White Gandalf" eleventh hour save by Littlefinger. I don't quite understand why Sansa kept her meetings/letters to Littlefinger a secret from Jon, I hope she will explain herself.

- Lol @ Rickon. Poor kid.

- RIP Wun Wun. :(  I have to ask why he never made a giant weapon for himself. Like, how funny would it've been if he had a huge hammer and just knocked away 30 soldiers in one blow?

- Ramsay's death was perfect. Very pleased by that.

- Where the hell was Ghost?

- Relieved that Tormund and Davos survived. Eagerly anticipating Davos confronting Melisandre.

- Surprisingly, I liked Dany's scenes. Despite the dragons being totally OP. Her conversation with Yara was very nice.

- Loved the part where Grey Worm cut the 2 guys' throats in one swipe.

- The entire episode was beautifully filmed. They did a great job of portraying the chaos and brutality of a medieval cavalry+archers+foot soldiers battle. One of the few times where I actually stopped multitasking and stared at the whole episode in awe.

2 hours ago, peffy said:

episode 9 thoughts

Hide contents

- The entire episode was beautifully filmed. They did a great job of portraying the chaos and brutality of a medieval cavalry+archers+foot soldiers battle. One of the few times where I actually stopped multitasking and stared at the whole episode in awe.

I agree with that. I think they handled that battle extremely well. They used very simple techniques and basics for it, but it was o'so effective to be honest. Game of Thrones has an awfully big budget for being a series (around 10m for each episode), but compared to bigger films (100-200m) it's nothing for an episode lasting an hour, and it's not often we get to see battles this massive, intense and epic anymore. It's a rarity IMO.

While the CGI was awful for a second here and a second there I thought the CGI looked real nice in this episode. I'm not a fan of CGI and I am very rarely impressed by the use of it, but I was very impressed with it for this episode, and aside from the very few seconds I didn't even think about it being CGI when watching it. That's a huge plus for me.

Anyway, another great episode. Really looking forward to the last episode now. Shit's gonna be good.

Very surprised anyone would multitask when watching Game of Thrones, or anything at all, to be quite honest. If anyone came into my house and picked up their phone/tablet/whatever the fuck during a film/episode without it ringing I'd stop the film/series, throw 'em the fuck out and continue watching it alone. That's like blasphemy to me.

I need to watch the episode again, but my initial reaction to it is mostly positive.

Glad we got to see the battle conclude in Mereen. Yara x Dany is one ship that I can definitely get behind, hot dayum! I've really become smitten with Yara this season!

Theon's journey has sure been an interesting one. I thought for sure he would have died by now.

Sansa's character development has perhaps been the most satisfying to witness so far. She has been through A LOT, and it's so clear that her years of being tortured and put in shitty situations informs her every move now. Everytime she put her trust in someone else, it never turned out well. So I don't blame her for not trusting Jon, her own brother, right out of the gate. I mean, the poor girl has become hardened enough to accept that Rickon wouldn't even make it. And as for not trusting Jon.

On the other hand, Jon's character hasn't developed much at all. His revival has been wayyyy too smooth. He comes back and all he experiences is a little, initial disorientation? bleh.

I honestly thought wun wun would have been more effective during the battle. I expected him to fall on the field actually.

I expected both Davos and Tormund to fall, but I'm glad they're still in the game. He still has a chance with Brienne!

Was low-key hoping that Small jon would turn on Ramsay. I thought he was cool, but I guess there needed to be more notable enemy deaths than Ramsay himself. If he DID turn on Ramsay, and somehow Rickon ended up dying anyways, that would have created an interesting dynamic between Smalljon, Jon, and Sansa post-battle.

It was great to finally see Ramsay meet his maker, and in the most ironic way possible. Call me sadistic, but his death still wasn't satisfying enough for enduring 3 seasons of his smug sickness! XD

Melisandre is so depressed. You KNOW it's bad when we've only seen her nude, like once this entire season LMAO! nah jk, we've seen more than enough of her naked body. I do hope she sees a vision or has a revelation that perks her up, though, cuz atm her character seems useless. This reminds me, what is that OTHER red woman up to?

Very curious to see what's gonna go down with Jamie and the Freys. I would be happy to see Jaime take Walder's head, and in the same, festive fashion as the red wedding.

Overall, a really enjoyable episode. I still love this series, but I feel like the overall quality has definitely dropped. This season seems to be missing a certain...gravitas that the first few seasons had. There was also a certain mysticism and open-endedness that the series had, and I miss it. I guess some of it is natural now that they're trying to wrap things up, but I feel like things have almost been TOO predictable. It feels much closer to a normal TV show now.

There are still enough loose ends to keep things interesting, though. I actually think it would be brilliant if Dany ended up going mad by the end of the series. Like, to see her go through such a transformation into conqueror and symbol of hope, and unite westeros, only to give into madness at the very end. It's one of those things that would be logical, but shocking nonetheless. I like bittersweet twists like that.

Edited by CAT5

4 hours ago, CAT5 said:

I need to watch the episode again, but my initial reaction to it is mostly positive.

Overall, a really enjoyable episode. I still love this series, but I feel like the overall quality has definitely dropped. This season seems to be missing a certain...gravitas that the first few seasons had. There was also a certain mysticism and open-endedness that the series had, and I miss it. I guess some of it is natural now that they're trying to wrap things up, but I feel like things have almost been TOO predictable. It feels much closer to a normal TV show now.

There are still enough loose ends to keep things interesting, though. I actually think it would be brilliant if Dany ended up going mad by the end of the series. Like, to see her go through such a transformation into conqueror and symbol of hope, and unite westeros, only to give into madness at the very end. It's one of those things that would be logical, but shocking nonetheless. I like bittersweet twists like that.

Sansa's plot is also interesting for me now because it feels like a parallel with Cersei only Sansa is finally getting what she wants and Cersei no longer is. But they are both being steely-eyed and secretive. And I do think people forget, Jon is the only family she has left but they weren't really that close. I do get the feeling what she just did is going to widen the distance between them too. Maybe Jon needs the push if the fan theories are correct about his parentage. 

I really want to see Kivara, Melisandre, and possibly Thoros meet. They all have a different champion so it will be wild! 

I'm really hoping a certain someone shows up at the Lannister/Frey party and pokes some holes in people.

I do think we're missing the twists and surprise deaths that made the early seasons so shocking and amazing. Tying up lose ends is great but not everything should be going as expected. The plot armor is getting really really thick these days, and part of the appeal of GoT was anyone could drop at any moment. But we're all so deep into this show no one is gonna give it up this close to the end. lol. Maybe that was part of announcing the number of seasons so viewers don't start dropping off.

Spoiler

Great battle, probably one of the best ones I've seen on TV/Movies in recent memory. Not a fan of the shaky cam though, I understand that it's suppose to give us the feel of how chaotic the battle was, but at one point is was to much.

I was suprised that Ramsey met his end actually, felt like he was number one badguy in show currently. Feared him more than cersei or the high sparrow at least.

Edited by Mind of the sun

9 hours ago, Bear said:

Very surprised anyone would multitask when watching Game of Thrones, or anything at all, to be quite honest. If anyone came into my house and picked up their phone/tablet/whatever the fuck during a film/episode without it ringing I'd stop the film/series, throw 'em the fuck out and continue watching it alone. That's like blasphemy to me.

LOL yeah, if I was watching with other people I absolutely would not multitask. But I always watch GoT alone. 

Besides, I probably have some undiagnosed form of ADD. I usually have some sort of English-language video running on my second monitor while I'm working on lyrics, because if I'm only focusing on one of those things, I get bored or feel like I'm wasting time. And I'm not a film/TV enthusiast like you clearly are =p

2 hours ago, doombox said:

I really want to see Kivara, Melisandre, and possibly Thoros meet. They all have a different champion so it will be wild! 

+1 !!!!

Spoiler

6 hours ago, CAT5 said:

On the other hand, Jon's character hasn't developed much at all. His revival has been wayyyy too smooth. He comes back and all he experiences is a little, initial disorientation? bleh.

Yep, I expected a LOT more to come out of Jon's resurrection, and have been sorely disappointed on that front so far. Still, it's possible it will come into play later on.

6 hours ago, CAT5 said:

It was great to finally see Ramsay meet his maker, and in the most ironic way possible. Call me sadistic, but his death still wasn't satisfying enough for enduring 3 seasons of his smug sickness! XD

Sure, would've been nice to spend 4 episodes torturing him, chopping his dick off, flaying him slowly, feeding his fingers to the dogs one at time, etc. But I don't think we'd want to see the Starks stoop to his level. Letting his beloved hounds eat him alive was a nice compromise.

Edited by peffy

6 hours ago, peffy said:

LOL yeah, if I was watching with other people I absolutely would not multitask. But I always watch GoT alone. 

Besides, I probably have some undiagnosed form of ADD. I usually have some sort of English-language video running on my second monitor while I'm working on lyrics, because if I'm only focusing on one of those things, I get bored or feel like I'm wasting time. And I'm not a film/TV enthusiast like you clearly are =p

+1 !!!!

Hide contents

Sure, would've been nice to spend 4 episodes torturing him, chopping his dick off, flaying him slowly, feeding his fingers to the dogs one at time, etc. But I don't think we'd want to see the Starks stoop to his level. Letting his beloved hounds eat him alive was a nice compromise.

Very true about the Starks not stooping to his level! I guess it goes to show that even after all they've been through, their characters are still in tact.

Also relevant :P

13494805_1705561439706621_51071680260211

Edited by CAT5

I'm late to the party but HOT DAYUM that was a good episode.

Everyone saying the quality has dropped this season is on to something. It's because Martin didn't write this season (not even that D&D wrote it but they're doing a good job with what limited information they have). He had ways of weaving his stories and writing dialog that's missing. It took years to churn out this saga. A good example is when Ramsay tells Jon to "kneel" instead of "bend the knee". That kind of dialog gets me into the universe and really helps me believe Westeros is an actual place with actual slang! I don't think this season is bad, but I do think it feels predictable because it is predictable. And it's a good thing that it's predictable too!

Actually being predictable is being unpredictable for this show. We've been through five seasons of our expectations being subverted so now we expect bad things to continuously happen. But if things keep going bad for the good guys the show won't conclude well. Every so often the good guy has to win in order for the stakes to remain high and the show to stay engaging. The Bastardbowl definitely delivered on that front. Imagine Jon died in the battle last ep...His entire arc this season would be for nothing. Then there would be endless complaints about how bad his arc is and how pointless it was and how he should have just stayed dead. If Ramsay didn't die this episode it's because he took a trip down to the smith to thicken his plot armor some more. Etc, etc, etc.

That entire battle was awesome. Felt like I was watching Saving Private Ryan:Medieval Edition. Jon was a fucking idiot but he was a cool idiot so I let it slide. Tormund really surprised me this episode in a good way. Often in the series so far he's been far too knowledgeable about southerners ways and there hasn't been the simple misunderstandings that would come from meeting someone from a different culture. But the conversation about a pincer movement and then his conversation with Ser Davos about Stannis' demons really stuck out to me as simple little things that really flesh him out as a wildling beyond the wall. Good writing!

But there are other places in which the show is delivering well and getting no love for it. The entire plot with the High Sparrow in KL is much more developed than in the books. The High Sparrow is def going to be the new antagonist for the last season. The outlawing of trial by combat also killed off hopes of Cleganebowl this season which everyone was expecting. D&D rescued Daenery's plot from banality so much so that I can watch those scenes now without rolling my eyes. Loras is merely imprisoned and not suffering from 3rd degree burns dying. The extinction of giants just happened this episode. The lack of Dorne this season is amazing - that plot and everything associated with it was done terribly which is unfortunate because it's one of the most interesting and least developed places in the books and they could have done much more. All this information we got from Beyond The Wall with Bran is Beyond Important and I fully expect next episode to get back to that and deliver more crucial backstory and WE FUCKING GOT BENJEN STARK BACK. This season is dead lit.

3 hours ago, Zeus said:

I'm late to the party but HOT DAYUM that was a good episode.

Hide contents

I don't think this season is bad, but I do think it feels predictable because it is predictable. And it's a good thing that it's predictable too!

Actually being predictable is being unpredictable for this show. We've been through five seasons of our expectations being subverted so now we expect bad things to continuously happen.

I agree and personally think this has been the most unpredictable season since season 2 to be honest. This season I've actually been surprised at a lot of things that's happened, something I rarely ended up being with season 3-5 as it just followed the "unpredictableness" of the first two seasons.

And as weird as I am I think this season's been great and on par with previous seasons. And again I am enjoying the shit out of the dialogue. I'm not too sure about this as I haven't read the books, but I am under the impression that 90% of the best dialogue in this series are made for this series and didn't feature in the books. I remember reading a lot about the dialogue in the series and it said that this, that and those dialogues were original for this series, while this and that were from the books. And if that was right I am not surprised about the quality of the dialogue.

I think my biggest complaint for the season is the lack of Tywin Lannister, and the lack of Tywin, Tyrion, Cersei, Varys, Littlefinger and co. sitting around a table and talking. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'd fucking love a spin-off where these guys just sit around a table and talk, talk and do nothing more than to talk. The dialogue's been that good for the show. Would be perfect!

57 minutes ago, Bear said:

I think my biggest complaint for the season is the lack of Tywin Lannister, and the lack of Tywin, Tyrion, Cersei, Varys, Littlefinger and co. sitting around a table and talking. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'd fucking love a spin-off where these guys just sit around a table and talk, talk and do nothing more than to talk. The dialogue's been that good for the show. Would be perfect!

Oh man, I feel you so hard on this! I feel very nostalgic for the political intrigue of westeros' past, and in comparison, the political situation in Mereen just wasn't as satisfying (altho I understand that it's a completely different place/situation - watching Tyrion in Mereen is like watching fish, flopping around out of water - altho that has its merits too!). I know it was just a microcosm of Martin's vast world, but it was enthralling nonetheless. At the same time, it is good to see the show move on and focus on some of the larger issues as the series reaches its climax.

Edited by CAT5

9 hours ago, Bear said:

I think my biggest complaint for the season is the lack of Tywin Lannister, and the lack of Tywin, Tyrion, Cersei, Varys, Littlefinger and co. sitting around a table and talking.

Agreed. I did touch on this back when episode 1 aired and Roose got killed. The political scheming was one of the most interesting aspects of the show, but all the best schemers have been separated or killed and it's had a negative impact on the show, IMO. You could say the High Sparrow vs Cersei/Olenna/Margaery has replaced it, but I find that whole subplot extremely off-putting. I've been anticipating the gruesome deaths of the Sparrows all season (shout out to the Mountain ripping a Sparrow's head off), and will be super pissed if they survive the season finale. I am even willing to sacrifice Cersei, my 2nd favourite character, to get rid of them.