Ito

Game of Thrones

4 hours ago, Gaz said:

Hide contents

leaked episode was pretty good overall, but these last-second-saves are sooo annoying ughhh. it's been quite a while when the main character died here, and yet D&D are still playing it on the safe side, meh :/ i just hope the last episode will give us some worthy cliffhanger. 

The cliffhanger is obvious ones at this point. I am sure you are thinking about it too. :D

but there are other events on season finale that are worthy to be gasped about ;)

Spoiler

I know Arya is a is a cold blooded killer these days but damn, she went in hard on Sansa. And also why does she keep blabbing about being a faceless man when the entire point is anonymity.. Arya is making some really dumb decisions, I was hoping it was a misdirect to make LF think his plan worked but it seems they really did and Arya is on it hook, line, and sinker. Disappointing. 

I really hope Viserion is not an ice dragon but an WIGHT dragon... because they made it a point to show White Walkers have to be imbued with ice magic while they are still alive (Craster's sons, etc) and that the wights/zombies are raised from the dead. So it would make sense for Viserion to be a zombie dragon, or is this just me? And his throat was mangled so if he can breathe any form of fire would be a miracle. 

DHt-jhaV0AA6liH.jpg

Besides that, I really enjoyed the brotherhood beyond the wall. I cracked up at most of the dialogue. Tormund talking about Brienne to Sandor, I live!!!

Edited by doombox

It's great t see it in HD tbh, such a great season. Everything is culminating to boiling point. 

Also glad to hear the news that we shouldn't wait for 2 years for final season to come, but next year instead.

Spoiler

I cannot wait for season finale next week. Finally someone I dreaded for so long will be killed. Tears of joy tbh :tw_bawling:

Spoiler

Everyone making a huge deal about the fucking chains... Hardhome was a port, of course they had huge ass chains. No one said the white walkers fished out Viserion immediately. They could have taken a few days, probably did.

That fanservice between Jon and Daenerys is going a bit bold for my taste, need the next book to come out ASAP.

Spoiler

That was some finale. Finally Littlefinger is gone, although his death was a little disappointing. I know he was never exactly portrayed as a brave man, but seeing him sniveling and begging left a bad aftertaste in my mouth. But I was surprised when Sansa called for Littlefinger when she'd already summoned Arya to the center, and I'm sure Littlefinger was. And the Stark sisters reconciled after... basically fighting their whole lives. I think this bond would've been impossible but for the war. 

So Jon and Dany ended up happening. I know this season was setting up for it but I was still hoping otherwise. The fact that Jon made a point of telling Dany that the woman who told her she'd never bear any children wasn't the most reliable source, along with them sleeping together and Cersei's pregnancy, I think  it likely that Dany will be pregnant next season. Bran and Sam plan on telling Jon about his true parents, coupled with Jon's determination to father no bastards (although he technically isn't one), means if Dany ends up pregnant those two might get married, although I don't see Jon being super cool with incest either. This almost seems like some Oedipus kinda plotline. I do wonder how Sansa and Arya would react to this development if it happened. Will they support Jon through anything, or is there a line that he shouldn't cross? Until next season, I suppose. 

I thought this was a really good season finale, and as for the complaints, I think they are understandable. I've enjoyed the season from start to finnish, but there is no denying the fact that this is a different Game of Thrones in in the 5 first season. The drama that made the series one of the best series ever are gone in exchange for standarized action-adventure with one fantasy cliche after another. But tbqh, I don't mind even though the quality has falled quite a bit.

This last episode however was back to old standards if you ask me. It was more than just your average fantasy-action.

Btw, I'm both surprised and impressed by the CGI this season. I think it's really well-done, and from the looks of it these dragons will actually look more than decent in 10 years, which is something I don't say often about CGI.

Edited by Bear

2 hours ago, Bear said:

I thought this was a really good season finale, and as for the complaints, I think they are understandable. I've enjoyed the season from start to finnish, but there is no denying the fact that this is a different Game of Thrones in in the 5 first season. The drama that made the series one of the best series ever are gone in exchange for standarized action-adventure with one fantasy cliche after another. But tbqh, I don't mind even though the quality has falled quite a bit.

I half want to blame George RR Martin for this, and I half want to blame D&D for this. We know Martin is a slow writer but D&D have known how the story was going to end for some time now and they could have polished up some rough parts of the scripts. I would have done it for free! I mind the plot and the story line less than how fast everything moves. Of course time passage is implied but what Game of Thrones did so well in the past seasons was to fill the time going from point A to point B with banter and witty dialog and exposition that brought the characters to life.

I don't think this season was disappointing. Far from it, even though I was able to predict everything that's gone down. If anyone read the books, devoured theories, and paid close attention to the show they could have done it too. I think predictability is a good thing this late in the show - trying to surprise me with late-game twists and turns ends up with the show losing sight of the end game because they're trying to hide it from the viewers too. Real talk, if the show wasn't predictable we'd have a problem because that means I can't envision how it's going to get to the end...and that's the problem Martin is facing writing the books now. He expanded the books so far even in book five that to contract the story, tie up all loose ends, and come to a satisfying conclusion he's going to need three books...sorta how like we unanimously feel like we could have used more this season or more seasons in general. Just some thoughts I had bouncing around in my head here I totes agree with you.

2 hours ago, Bear said:

This last episode however was back to old standards if you ask me. It was more than just your average fantasy-action.

That's because there was less maneuvering characters from place to place and more actually getting on with the fucking plot. Everything we have been waiting for all season happened in this episode and it unfolded so naturally because I feel these were most of the big points Martin told D&D to hit and so it feels more like him and less like them trying to fill gaps.

2 hours ago, Bear said:

Btw, I'm both surprised and impressed by the CGI this season. I think it's really well-done, and from the looks of it these dragons will actually look more than decent in 10 years, which is something I don't say often about CGI.

That's that lack of direwolf budget for ya.

7 hours ago, Zeus said:

That's that lack of direwolf budget for ya.

I would not say that. One of the things Game of Thrones has done well throughout the series is the use of CGI. They've never gone full retard with it. At least not very often. Even the scenes which are 90% CGI it's usually looked good, much of it because they've used CGI for the unimportant parts, and kept the important parts real.

The Night King is a good example of this, and how to properly use CGI to get the best results. He's not entirely CGI, but 98% prosthetics with just a bit of CGI to get the finishing touch. 99,9% of Hollywood blockbusters nowadays would've made him entirely CGI.

This here is a great example too, even though it's not looking perfect:

game-of-thrones-s4-special-effect.jpg

Again, in a Hollywood blockbuster the special effects woulda been entirely CGI, while in Game of Thrones it's 80% practical effects and 20% CGI for the face. It's just a nice example of how to do things.

Now there's times where they've gone a bit over the top with the CGI, but that's more the exception rather than the rule in Game of Thrones.

But as far as CGI goes, it's never been the CGI itself that's the problem. But how it's been used. Same as with auto-tune, programmed drums, drum triggers/samples and so fucking on. As long as you don't go full retard there's no problem with it, and same goes for CGI. "CG is a very specific tool, like a hammer. It is good for certain uses, but when you wish to saw a board a hammer is useless.". This quote is spot on. There's a reason why the CGI in 1993's Jurassic Park may be the best CGI ever, and it's not because they had the tools we have today. It's entirely because of how it's used in the film. Perfection! In recent times Mad Max: Fury Road comes to mind as a superb example of how to use CGI. Thing there is tat most people don't realize that the film is FULL of CGI, but it's just that the majority of the important things are the real deal.

tenor.gif

I could come up with a shitload of examples here on how not to use CGI. I Am Legend?  The original look of the zombies are absolutely brilliant, but for some reason they were dropped in change for the godawful CGI we see which in turn make the zombies look like something from a poor Playstation 2 game.

Another example here is the remae of The Thing. They made som extraordinary practical effects for the film, but again they were either dropped for or overlayed with some cheap, poorly made CGI. Not a great movie to begin with, but when they took away the practical effects they completely fucked the film over. Had they kept all the practical effects the way they originally were, this film would've been remembered for 100 years. Now it was forgotten in 2 becase there's nothing unique or anything in it. But as far as I know, both writer Eric Heisserer and director Matthijs van Heijningen were both totally against CGI and shot the film with practical effects, but as CGI is the trend the studio went over their head and decided to change it, probably because it's what was trendy at the time. But it's weird as CGI is about 5-10 times more expensive than practical effects.

banda.jpg

But enough with CGI talk. I could probably go on forever here. Sorry for the off topic.

Edited by Bear

I am so sad that Season 7 already over. But also glad that this one person finally die. Have waited 7 season for that to happen!! He should be thankful he was executed by a pro, resulting in clean work and probably less pain too.

Seems they left out this part about Cersei that should be there. Maybe they saved it for next season? I am guessing this part of story will be turning point for her to go full mental.

2 hours ago, LIDL said:

Seems they left out this part about Cersei that should be there. Maybe they saved it for next season? I am guessing this part of story will be turning point for her to go full mental.

Is there anybody alive for Cersei to do that thing with?

Spoiler about Littlefinger during season 7;

She [my girlfriend] only revealed this to me today, but she said that almost every time Littlefinger was on screen in season 7, you could hear ravens/crows in the background making noise. She eventually put together that Bran was listening/watching everything Littlefinger was plotting and would finally be the one to pull the plug on him. And how did she pick this up? The noise they made pissed her off every scene with Littlefinger.
Edit: Since people are reacting way to wildly; this is only referring to Season 7 scenes. Don't start going back to S1-6 for this.

I have not checked if this is actually true, but if it is then it's a brilliant detail that would explain so much.

I think my main complaint at this point is things still felt rushed, ep4 is probably my standing favorite episode for this season. 

Spoiler

It was kinda sad to see LF go out like a chump, but at least he got on on screen death, unlike a lot of other people. I'm still conflicted as to believe that Arya was being as stupid as she seemed or it was just a set up for LF. The show left it pretty open, which is part of why I'm mad things felt rushed. Some things needed a clearer resolution. 

Edited by doombox

20 hours ago, Zeus said:

Is there anybody alive for Cersei to do that thing with?

I am not too sure yet. Therr must be someone.

did anyone read (fake?) script for season 8? if that shit is real then episodes 2, 5 and 6 are going to be intense as fuck :o 

(and even if it isn't, that was fun to read nonetheless)

the one i read seemed very legit, taking into account D&D's previous plot twists, also their interviews and hints. pretty much what i'd expect from them after 7 seasons. but we'll see. 

the last episode from season 7 is so epic

i don't want to wait for the next season that much ....i need to know, i need answers, i need to know if Tormund is alive !!!

This shit is going on a world tour. Will be ordering tickets for Sweden today. That is gonna be immense and a concert to remember for sure.

It's the new season so it's the last time we can bump this topic with hype!

And unfortunately, I'm not very hype about the beginning of this season at all. When you market the ending of the show as "The Final 6 Episodes", I expect substantive things to happen at every turn. This was not that episode, and that means we're 16% of the way finished with the series. How disappointing. I know that all of the pieces have to be moved into place (very quickly, I might add) but that doesn't excuse how slow the first episode felt. In fact, that makes it even worse. There are times I felt that the show lingered on a shot simply to fill up time - the opening to the prison break scene is a good example of how the show spends 3 to 4 seconds more on that ship than they really need to. Those 3 to 4 seconds add up, and I find myself wishing I had ten more minutes so something could actually happen.

It's only been 24 hours and 1000-Yard Bran Stare has become a meme. It got ridiculous to see him pop up in the background like a wizard four times in the same episode, especially when he's in a wheel chair and no one is pushing him around. Bran got those wheels on silenced. He's also rather boring and brooding; where did his character go? I understand that him having no feelings is part of his character, but having an omnipotent god who shows up when it's convenient and knows things without drinking is a cheap way to move a lot of information from one character to another. Game of Thrones was more clever about doing this in earlier seasons. Next week should be a really important conversation featuring him and the show better give it the time it deserves.

What I did like is how many revelations got dropped in this episode. Sam learns about what happened to his family, and that colors his perception of Dany a lot. Jon learns the truth about his parentage, but not enough time was spent on him processing what actually happened. Bronn now has to make a choice and that choice can decide his fate. Jaime is going to have to "answer" for his crimes, even though it's probably the best thing in the world that he ever did because without Wizard Bran we stand no chance. Tyrion had some bad lines and overall feels left behind. I think was actually a *good* thing because it shows that his character has changed and has weaknesses, and that being clever doesn't last forever. He's trying to fit in among a crowd of people that don't trust him at best, outright hate him at worst, and he has nothing to offer anyone in the fight to come. He's essentially dead weight, and I wouldn't be surprised if he dies before the show is out. Dany is smug and arrogant and I want her to die already. 

I also see them conserving budget by failing to show the Night King or the Army of the Dead marching towards Winterfell, but every one is talking about it non stop. The creep scene with the Umber kid is the only exception, but that was just a few seconds and doesn't really count. This is the army of the dead, they don't need to stop for anything. They should honestly already be there.

14 minutes ago, Zeus said:

It's the new season so it's the last time we can bump this topic with hype!

And unfortunately, I'm not very hype about the beginning of this season at all. When you market the ending of the show as "The Final 6 Episodes", I expect substantive things to happen at every turn. This was not that episode, and that means we're 16% of the way finished with the series. How disappointing.

Really? I thought it was a great beginning, and spending the shortest episode of the season to re-introduce the characters, their missions and tell us where they are and what they're planning is pretty much as much as you can expect imo. Excellent episode, and the dialogue already feels fifty times better than what they offered us in season 7. So much more well-developed and well-written.

Episode length' for those who care:

Episode 1 (April 14): 54 minutes

Episode 2 (April 21): 58 minutes

Episode 3 (April 28): 1 hour, 22 minutes

Episode 4 (May 5): 1 hour, 18 minutes

Episode 5 (May 12): 1 hour, 20 minutes

Episode 6 (May 19): 1 hour, 20 minutes

That looks sweet!

57 minutes ago, Bear said:

Really? I thought it was a great beginning, and spending the shortest episode of the season to re-introduce the characters, their missions and tell us where they are and what they're planning is pretty much as much as you can expect imo. Excellent episode, and the dialogue already feels fifty times better than what they offered us in season 7. So much more well-developed and well-written.

Episode length' for those who care:

Reveal hidden contents

That's exactly what irks me. We're in the final season of the show and most of the characters have met each other. There aren't any more explosive meetings that should happen between characters because right now, character development is not that important. Characters are already developed enough and in my opinion, many characters have gotten simplified over the seasons. What's important now - and what George R.R. Martin has been struggling with since 2011 - is resolving all plot lines in a coherent and satisfying manner. There are a lot of characters coming together in the North now, with the rest of them in the South, and short of a mass extinction event wiping out a good 30-40% of the characters in the story, I don't see how all of these plot lines are going to come to an end. I sense a semi satisfying ending coming with bittersweet after taste and certain non-essential characters killed off for the sake of simplicity. 

Then again, I am interpreting the army of the dead and the Night King as a comment on the unstoppable nature of climate change. It would be incredibly fitting if everyone loses and the Night King wins, because the earlier seasons of Game of Thrones was all about expecting the unexpected. The book that Martin wrote is about subverting common fantasy tropes and how the good guys don't always win and the ending isn't always sweet. The last few seasons have felt predictable, but only because story elements have to come together in predictable ways in order to get to the end. But I wouldn't put it above D&D to throw us one last curve ball.

I'm gonna be *real* pissed if they turn this into a 1v1 with Jon versus the Night King in a sword duel, but I see the show trimming the plot down to something simple because of time constraints. Completely artificial time constraints, but constraints that all episodes have to be aware of. Spending a lot of time on character development in the first episode can mean later episodes have no time to say their piece, and this exact thing has already happened in seasons 5 and 6. Like in all honesty, I like naked chicks but the whole scene with Bronn in the Brothel could have been cut down to when the man on the door knocked and delivered the message, and that's 3 or 4 minutes that could have been spent updating us on the situation with the Army of the Dead.