Ito

Game of Thrones

I know we have a thread already, but that was really for the books more than anything else, so how about be have one dedicated for the show?

If you are going to put spoilers, you should try and list what season and episode the spoilers are up to, cause I swear to go I do not want to spoil anything for myself about this show.

I have seriously not been this jacked over a show since like...late middle school/early high school when I was watching stuff on toonami lol. It is just so fucking good. So far I have watched the first season twice (working on going through the commentary on the bluray for the first season right now), read the first book, and I have only have seen the first episode of season two right now.

Season 2, episode 1 spoilers

I am trying to watch all of season 2 with my GF and another of my good friends. I found that they probably need to explain Stannis a bit more, cause like I was the only one who really knew what was going on there (I had to pause it and explain who Stannis was lol). The opening scene of the episode one with Tyrion was so fucking great. He is such a boos character and Peter Dinklage plays him sooooo damn well. The Dothraki scene still bore me a little bit, I am hoping they will connect with the rest of what is happening in the show soon.

Do you see my avatar? YOU KNOW I'M ALL OVER THIS. Peter Dinklage/tyrion is amazing.

I don't mind the Dothraki scenes because Daenerys Targaryen/Emilia Clarke is so cute, haha. XD

As for Stannis, I had to jog my memory a but too since there's such a wealth of characters that have been introduced, and continue to be introduced XD. Also, I DO NOT LIKE these Greyjoy people at all XD

Mega-epic spoilers since I've been a Game of Thrones fan since 2007 so I've had a lot of time to think about this with no one else to talk to this about.

Not so much a spoiler, but more interesting trivia: when George R.R. Martin was writing the character of Tyrion he was imagining a mixture of what he himself would say/do in those situations. When it was making the transition from books to media (first it was supposed to be a series of movies, then it turned into a TV series), Peter Dinklage was Martin's first choice to play Tyrion. Needless to say, he is very pleased with the outcome. It's probably the reason why he's credited first this season (and will most likely continue to be for a while).

To answer Ito's question:

Daenerys goes off and does her own thing. Don't hold your breath hoping that things will connect soon. She does do some interesting things over in Pentos so maybe that will be good enough for now :)

Since it was also part of your post, I will say that so far the pacing for this season has been terrible. They just glossed over so many things that people that haven't read the book are going to be confused (as for example, who Davos Seaworth is and what his relation to Stannis is and why he's missing a hand are all things that come into play later that they haven't mentioned yet). I understand why they led off the season starting with the wall and I'm also keeping in mind that they ended the first season with the beginning of the second book (because otherwise that would have been a shitty ending) but the whole thing with Craster happened much later in the book than it did in the show IIRC. They better elaborate more on what happens to Arya/Gendry/Yoren or I will be pissed (and then have to explain to people).

Half the scenes with Baelish don't happen. Baelish isn't even developed as a character until the end of A Storm of Swords. I think they just throw him in there to find a reason to show some ass & titties, which normally I wouldn't mind...except they could be developing the stories more.

OTOH, they nailed the part with Theon and the ship girl perfectly, which really isn't too integral to the plot but is a nice way to showcase some of his character. They could have just saved that for the end of this season because that would do it much better.

Also his sister's name is not Yara, it's Asha. Probably changed to not confuse readers between Asha and Osha.

To talk about CAT's stuff:

I'm amazed they didn't talk about Stannis' daughter (or the fool) yet. She's the motivation behind why he even believes in the Lord of Light business.

Also, what happened at the end of the second episode ties in later in the book (and series as a whole) and what I'll say is that it's pretty fucked for those that didn't read the book. It's probably the only point at which the sex that was shown wasn't gratuitous and out of place. I wonder how they're going to handle the part where the thing comes out.

Speaking of the fool, I expected Ser Dontos to be uglier. Even Brienne of Tarth looks better than him, and Brienne is supposed to be hideous.

And speaking of Ser Dontos, on a scale of 1 to 10 how much do you expect Sansa to get battered this season? Whatever you think it is, multiply it by a few. Sansa gets the short end of the inbred stick. Also, remember Jeyne Poole? Sansa's friend. Oh yeah, most people don't. She was kept around when King's Landing changed hands from Robert to Joffrey. Just remember that she existed. She becomes important later.

Of the books I'm currently halfway through book 3.1, and finished the 2nd book two weeks back or so...

As for this second season.. Yeah, it's really confusing for people that haven't read the books or read them a long time ago...

My fav storylines book- and serie-based are Daenarys and Arya by far. Hopefully Arya's story get's enough airtime as I would love to see how they work certain things out...

S02E01 was just too messy, the second ep is a whole lot better, though it could slow a bit down on the sex scenes as some were just not really fitting to the story

@Zess

yeah, that also got me confused a little about Yara. when I heard that name I also thought of the Osha/Asha comparison Theon made in the books. It gets lost in the series... Besides that, I think the Greyjoys get too much attention for the second book imo by now... About 1/5 of that ep was centered about Theon while he actually only gets some worth mentioning about half way/three quarters down the road... I think it would be better to explain more about Davos/Stannis/Renly story line..

I haven't read any of the books yet, so it did leave me having to piece things together....rather - I had to assume some things XD.

@Aion:

I think they're trying to amp up the suspense factor over what happens in the North at the end of the season, which is the only reason that I can think of for them giving Theon so much airtime. That shouldn't have even happened until the third episode though - IMO the first episode could have been stretched to an episode and a half because a lot of important stuff happened there that they glossed over and it's going to bite them in the ass later when important events go down and they have to retcon the crap out of everything.

I also stress that they need to show Joffrey beating the shit out of Sansa. It's a catalyst for an extremely important plot event later and if they don't show it it's going to seem contrived when they get that far. Joff does some fucked up shit to her and I could understand why they would tone it down...but it's a TV-MA HBO show anyway. They literally can show almost anything and get away with it.

There also needs to be more Cersei x Tyrion and their feelings about Jaime. That becomes important somewhere in the fourth book.

I hope this week is the meeting where the three "kings" meet. That point should be coming up really soon.

Renly, Loras, and Marg were flawless in today's episode; Natalie's performance alone made up for the lack of Daenerys this episode. I'm glad my gurl Arya is getting more screen time too. Also, can't wait for next week's episode; the previews look sooooooo good.

ugh, I really need to pick up/buy the books ):

I aint gonna lie, Margaery Tyrell's actress is uber hawt ;o

also, Renly looks like Furik....XD

Haven't watched last nights episode yet. The first 2 episodes of the second season were okay but kind of disappointing too for some of the reasons Zess and Aion brought up but I'm sure it'll get back up to par.

and lol @ Renly looks like Furik. Kinda yes.

havent seen e03 yet as it isn't available on HBO On Demand yet :(, and they only start airing s02 last weekend (last weekend eps 1+2, next weekend eps 3+4), so from 5 I can watch it real time live...

I've seen Margaery Tyrell in some extra's and photos yeah, and she looked already hot in there, so curious how it is in the real series =)

Also, last night just read a chapter of the first part of the third book, and that made me want to see that episode immediatly (but that won't be here for another year or 3 :()

When Daenerys buys all those Unsullied and starts attacking those slavers with her dragons

oh yeah, a question to you non-Dutchmen

What do you think of Melissandre (Carice van Houten)... I guess she's casted for her foreign accent, but for me it really sucks as I can hear her Dutch dialect in it and it annoys me xD. I heard however that the Americans found it exotic sounding?

Mark your spoilers, people!

I don't want to accidentally read anything that might spoil something lol

Just watched s02e02

Honestly, the amount of "sex" in this episode was a little much. My friends and I laughed so hard at the scene where Bealish is watching the dude get head who is watching the other dude having sex. The chick that was Theon on the ship was particularly kinda gross, mainly cause the chicks boobs were just kinda fugly lol.

Varys is seriously kind of ballsy for a man with no balls. XD

Ayra's actress continues to do a great job.

Tyrion continues to be awesome. Cerci is a bitch and a half.

I was sad about Daenerys' blood rider dying. Shit has just not been going her way. I am glad though that the Dothraki scenes didn't get much screen time this episode, I might care more about them when things become more interesting.

With the scene with Bealish and Rosy (?), at first I thought maybe he wasn't so bad and actually had some compassion, but holy shit that man is kind of evil.

Fuck I do not care for the Greyjoys right now. I honestly never liked Theon's character much, but at least I thought in the end he was with the Starks. His situation right now is just dumb...and honestly, I feel like does there really need to be another thing going on in this series?

Melisandre is kinda hot, but fucking creepy at the same time. Very creepy sex scene as well, but at least I feel like this is the first one with real meaning (as in why we had to watch it). To respond to Aion, no, her voice really doesn't sound that "exotic" imo.

I love the beyond the wall scenes and I hate how this episode ended (meaning that I hate that I don't get to find out what happens till much later. This left my friends and I talking about all the different possibilities with the white walkers. How where they formed (besides in a "zombie" way). Why does the dude give him the boys. What will they do with the babies. I don't know (and if you do know, don't tell me! XD), but there is a lot to speculate on.

Right now my friends and I are going to try and go on an "every other week" schedule for watching. While this sucks because I have to wait longer, it essentially makes it easier for all of us to get together and watch the episodes.

MASSIVE SPOILER:

The crannogmen haven't made an appearance and neither has Vargo Hoat, Selyse Florent, the Walders or Jacelyn Bywater. The fuck HBO? Meera and Jojen Reed are instrumental in helping Bran escape. I've only seen Osha once too. Hopefully once they develop the "Three Kings Meeting" subplot they'll start moving everyone else into place. Some of these people haven't even gotten up to bat yet and they're supposed to be much further ahead of where they are now.

Pacing is still awkward as fuck three episodes in, but at least things are coming together.

This is probably the one time that I approve of the show changing things up. The whole side-arc with Arya and Gendry was boring to read in the book, so I like that they summed it up so that they can keep things moving. I don't mind not watching that.

No Stannis, Robb, Joffrey or Daenerys this episode doesn't bother me, but I feel like the Dothraki scenes aren't going to get better until they get to Xaro Xhoan Daxos in Qarth. I was actually expecting Melisandre to make a re-appearance this episode but I suppose they're saving that for the next episode. Due to that, I have a feeling it's going to be a Stannis/Renly/Brienne/Catelyn episode next week because what is going to happen needs to happen.

They haven't elaborated much on the Night's Watch at all recently, and things at Winterfell have been moving pretty slowly. Theon needs to reveal his plan ASAP because the Greyjoy arc is going to make no sense if he doesn't make it explicit very soon.

Overall though the series is getting right on track. I can imagine that they're trying to cut out some of the fat in the books because they don't have an endless budget to spend on talking about the smaller things. They also need the last two or three episodes to wrap up the season properly, so I can understand why they're moving as fast as they are.

Still screwed up by mentioning Harrenhal with Arya/Gendry before mentioning that Tywin Lannister is holding Harrenhal. It's also going to be a confusing wreck as to how Rorge, Biter and Ja'qen end up in Tywin's army.

@Miasma: Get and read the books. You have no idea about how much you don't know right now. Seriously, so many things aren't explained.

I had to explain who Renly's wife was and the significance of that to the people I was watching with because they didn't even know she was Renly's wife.

@Aion: No, not at all. She sounds more annoying than anything.

WTF @ e03

How do they dare ignoring about 2/3 chapters of Arya's story... where did the part go where almost everyone dies, except for Arya, Gendry, Hot Pie and that blonde guy... where did the part go where they found that little girl, Weasel? Where did the part go where Gendry, Hot Pie and Arya try to infiltrate that camp (or was it Harrenhal, forgot it)...

also, Zess seems not to like Arya's and Dany's stories? Those are my favorites :P

@Massive spoiler thingy of zess

the feast hadn't begun yet in ep 3, so I guess they'll make their appearance in the next ep right... Same goes for Hargo and Selyse, as their storylines didn't get part in ep3...

Still, the Greyjoy's get too fucking much attention... or do I dislike Theon that much?

Another episode of Game of Thrones tonight, and there was amazing pacing in this episode for once. A little heavy with the events beyond The Wall, but the scenes were set wonderfully so no complaints there. While I was watching them I began wondering why they don't dress like they're in sub-zero temperatures, but it probably has something to do with acting and aesthetic purposes so I'll let that slide.

MEGA SPOILER:

They did the Qarthian dress all wrong. I was looking forward to seeing some Daenerys boob. I have a bigger problem with this because they have no problem showing all the prostitutes in Baelish's brothels fucking each other's brains out but I can't see some Daenerys tit? C'mon, that was actually canon for once and they screwed it all up.

If this has something to do with the actress, I will be very upset if the scene that is supposed to occur with her in A Storm of Swords does not come to pass. Anyone that has read that book knows exactly what scene I am referring to.

No Joffrey this episode, but it probably has a lot to do with the intensity of the scene that happened last episode. I knew it was coming and I still felt uncomfortable. They also downplayed the scene with Sansa a lot, but it was intense enough as is so keeping it in line with the books would have been overkill, even though it would show just how fucking insane Joffrey really is.

They're nailing all the scenes with Lancel Lannister, although they're hinting at the reasons why his actions are significant. I mean, it's pretty easy to figure out but it would still make for some witty dialogue by courtesy of Tyrion. I swear, Peter Dinklage's acting is ace in this part.

I wonder if they'll get back to showing Maester Pycelle again...

They unveiled the weapon in this week's episode. I also liked Davo's growth as a character here, even if they shoved it all into one scene. The scene with Renly was a little less dramatic, but it will do. I also thought the scene with Margaery, Loras and Petyr was a unnecessary and something else could have been substituted in its place. Stannis' scene covers the outcome of that scene so the viewer only need be attentive to figure out what happened there. This is just a small complaint because with all the things they don't seem to be making room for, they found room for that scene.

Margaery also looks like she's trapped in a cup. However, she's chill as fuck so it's whatever.

It's the first time we've seen Rickon all show thus far, and we still haven't seen Shaggydog, but at least he's here.

Spoiler: (although if you've seen the episode you can read this as it's only clarifying things)

No Vargo Hoat, Jojen or Meera Reed I am guessing. Jojen and Meera were supposed to be able to decipher (and place more emphasis on) Bran's dreams. Vargo is supposed to lead the Brave Companions, which is the group that Ja'qen H'ghar refers to when Arya says "he is one of them". Jojen and Meera are also supposed to be instrumental at the end of the season, but I guess they are lumping their duties with Osha so everything will come to pass appropriately. Now they just need to introduce Bran's dreams next episode and everything at Winterfell will be canon more or less, and it's so easy to do that I can't see them screwing it up. They make some dicey decisions with what to include and what not to include, but overall they stick relatively close to the source material.

all I can say is.....YAAAAAAY BLACK PEOPLE :lol:

I really enjoyed the last 2 episodes. I'm not even gonna bother reading the books yet, because I have a feeling they'll ruin my perception of the series right now.

Haven't seen the new ep yet (now live on TV, but I am too tired to watch it, so I'll use HBO OD tomorrow I guess =)), but still no Jojen and Meera? Did Bran at all get mention this episode? Jojen and Meera are major roles in the Bran-story...

all I can say is.....YAAAAAAY BLACK PEOPLE :lol:

I really enjoyed the last 2 episodes. I'm not even gonna bother reading the books yet, because I have a feeling they'll ruin my perception of the series right now.

READ THE BOOKS! They are so much better than the show by virtue of them being able to include so much more detail.

Cannot wait for Season 3 for when Lady Stoneheart is live.

And much more surprises and intrigues.

I believe it going to cause a stir for the TV series fans as it does to the Book series fans.

i had to change my pants after watching last night's episode.

grrm slayyyyed! every scene was flawless.

~& i am still not over this!!!!

tumblr_m4po9iyCbQ1r4pwt8o4_500.gif

i had to change my pants after watching last night's episode.

grrm slayyyyed! every scene was flawless.

~& i am still not over this!!!!

tumblr_m4po9iyCbQ1r4pwt8o4_500.gif

Dear christ that episode was good. Probably the best episode of GoT yet.

READ THE BOOKS! They are so much better than the show by virtue of them being able to include so much more detail.

I am not sure I 100% agree with this. Though I did love the first book, I am not sure I liked it more than the first season. I will say that I am waiting to read the books till the seasons come out, purely because I think getting the extra detail from the books add more to the show, so it works as like an "extended edition" or something lol.

That said, I think this show is done so fantastically well that while you get the power of your imagination in the books, there is something magically in actually seeing it all play out in front of you with glorious cinematography and sound. I finally got around to watching some episodes of the first season that I got on bluray and the surround sound just adds that extra bit of awesome for me.