Spike760

[METAL] Slipknot

The new track's not bad, although I enjoyed the first one more. This one has some sort of nice atmosphere to boot tho, even if it's a bit too long and tedious at points.

Anyway, album info time: title is .5: The Gray Chapter and the release date is October 21.

Tracklist:

01. XIX
02. Sarcastrophe
03. Aov
04. The Devil In I
05. Killpop
06. Skeptic
07. Lech
08. Goodbye
09. Nomadic
10. The One That Kills The Least
11. Custer
12. Be Prepared For Hell
13. The Negative One
14. If Rain Is What You Want
15. Override (deluxe bonus track)
16. The Burden (deluxe bonus track)

Cover:

23tjpl2.jpg

Love that album artwork. So 14 new tracks if we don't count the 2 already known, that's great... The track names are also cool.
I have a good presentiment concerning that album, I'm looking forward to listen to it.

Btw, notice the tribute to Paul in the album title.

The Devil in I > The Negative One

I enjoy only a few songs from them: Snuff, Duality, Wait and Bleed, Sulfur, Before I Forget and Wait and Bleed and now this one :) Hoping that this album offers more attractive songs :)

I like the new song. Sounds way more inspired than their previous album. The drums are way too loud in the mix though, but I hope that'll be sounding different on the actual release.

Those two songs they have released lately are nothing more but watered down Stone Sour to me - and to think that AHIG actually showed some effort back in its promo days (feel free to disagree but such songs like "Gehenna" or "Gematria", despite being 'mediocre' in one way or another (the hell, AHIG truly deserves its criticism imho), did showcase some good motivation in experimentation etc.)...

And I am not asking for a new 'Iowa' (before someone tries to bash me for being "the retard stuck in the past" ).

New song is shit that would've been on AHIG/Stone Sour but I guess since its their "radio single" makes since. But The Negative One was a lot better than this.

Those two songs they have released lately are nothing more but watered down Stone Sour to me...

I agree. The only part I enjoyed was the intro; but after that it goes downhill rather steadily.

I only have one album of theirs, but it's awesome to see them still going and checking up on them, even though I was a really late listener to join in on it. I always find it hilarious when I say I enjoy listening to them because people joke I'd get trampled on in a live with them since I look like someone who'd never listen to metal at all or go near scary looking masked men. xD Always love a new change, the masks are awesome and I can't help but love any metal. :3

I gave them a try since I grew out of the "band's too popular? not gonna listem to them anymore" thinking, and I'm pleasantly surprised by this. I feel like I haven't enjoyed an album that much since Deg's Moo.

I was a bit worried about the clean vocals but they are not as irritating as I thought they would be.

I think it is very nice "comeback" album, that is really worth giving a try.

all in all it was a nice experience.

band is still damn heavy but didn't forget about melody.

Jay Weinberg sounds more straightforward when compared to Joey Jordison.

this album sounds like if some stupid ass shitcore band finally matured and did something good for Satan's sake.

also back to the roots, yes. yet made on an AHIG sound.

great comeback, I approve that.

I've spun the new album a few times now, it is indeed pretty good. Better than what I hoped for, actually. Of course it's a bit overly long and too "thick" at times but it's nice enough. Really has a bit of everything they did so far.

Guest lynchisizer

I had to get into the album, but it is a very good new album indeed :D welcome back, slipknot! \(^o^)/ one of my favorites is probably Override :)

After many listens, I find that it's a weak album imo. I started liking it but then I quickly got bored of it. There's only 3 or 4 songs that are good and I feel like the rest is just there to fill the album trying to hide the band's lack of inspiration... And the bonus songs don't even raise the overall level of the album (I even think that these have the contrary effect on it). Here's a proof that quantity doesn't necessarily fit with quality. Overall, the album is somewhat ok but except 3 or 4 songs out of 16, the rest is easily forgettable. That's what I think about The Gray Chapter, and I'm not even comparing it to their previous releases. I understand that it's a "new" Slipknot and having a new line-up is not always a simple matter, in some cases it could even be a brutal change but I believe they can get over this and why not release something better next time. I'm gonna repeat it if something : it's NOT a bad album and I still like it, but I think that it's their weakest.

I don't feel like comparing this new album to their previous works but I'm just gonna say that I've enjoyed All Hope Is Gone a bit more than The Gray Chapter.

Despite the super modern and digital production, I kinda got old school Slipknot vibes from the song. Like a mix of the self-titled one and Iowa. Albeit a bit thrashier. Not bad at all. 

I thought the song was far too long for its own good. I liked the beginning and the ending parts (with the 'amped-up' chorus repeating and the fast bit at the end) but it was just too middle-of-the-road Slipknot for me. Agreed about the old-school touches tho... Corey said this new album will apparently be quite dark and raw, so hoping to hear some more interesting and intense stuff.

They actually managed to bring back 1999, awesome! Sounds so purely Slipknot, no extensions of Stone Sour this time around.

On one hand, it could be way worse. But I'm just really disappointed, knowing that they are trying so hard to bring back the old sound, and this is where they get. I thought Ross Robinson was producing their new stuff too??? What a shame. Listen to 5 seconds of Iowa, and its so black and white, especially production wise.

I don't understand why the arrangement/writing seems so simple and uninspired. Hardly any additional percussion outside the simple 'clang' on the chorus' snare, no backing screams from non-corey members, and so many of the riffs just feel so boring and melodically riding the party metal vibe much stronger than all their stuff that once bled with death metal influence. I know a lot of it is just how thin and clean the guitars sound...

Hoping the rest of the album proves me wrong... 😕

Here are the details for the band's upcoming album "We Are Not Your Kind", to be released on August 9.

sagktXo.jpg

01. Insert Coin
02. Unsainted
03. Birth of the Cruel
04. Death Because of Death
05. Nero Forte
06. Critical Darling
07. Liar’s Funeral
08. Red Flag
09. What’s Next
10. Spiders
11. Orphan
12. My Pain
13. Not Long for This World
14. Solway Firth

Interesting how they don't include last year's "All Out Life" on it (maybe they just wanted to avoid paying any more royalties to Chris? lol). Anyway, what do you guys think of the new track "Unsainted"? I'm a bit on the fence with it, tho I think I can dig it more than "All Out Life". I like the background choirs and the breakdown/interlude part too. The chorus is a bit too familiar/unremarkable 'copy-paste melodic dramatic nu-Slipknot style' for me tho.

edit: Performances from last night's Jimmy Kimmel.

Edited by Jigsaw9