Sign in to follow this  
Augie1995

-OZ- STIGMA Review

I'll edit this later with a full review of the single but for now, I'll review the title track.

STIGMA- This song was pretty different from what we've heard in the start. Then we have Natsuki singing in his usual screams but with some pretty interesting instruments. The chorus comes in a bit unexpectedly but it was good nonetheless and then we get this bass slapping going on and some strange background going on. I really like this song because it sounds like Natsuki is trying new things out with his voice other than just screams and singing like in the chorus. Then the chorus that we hear in the pv preview comes in and it ends with a guitar melody that I am really beginning to fall in love with and I love it!! I think it's the one OZ song that I recall that ends with a fade out as lovely as that one.

even though he was trying to do something different, the single itself was too straight-forward.

the title track wasn't so bad, but...

the b-sides were beyond boring [for -oz- standards...], not that I wasn't expecting much from the previews.

previous single was much more enjoyable.

below average release.

Ill review the single track for now.

The preview was pretty grabbing and I couldn't wait to hear the full thing. Now that I heard it, I have mixed feelings about it. Not really a big fan of the song structure. The verse sound very generic-ish but the bridge is pretty cool, but from there to the Verse is just weird. The chorus IMO doesn't fit the song at all. The best part of song was after the second chorus and I like how it faded out with that solo. Pretty nice. I think It'll grow on me later but now I'll give it a 6.5/10

The experimentation with electronic elements are leaving a less than stellar taste in my mouth, as they mix as well with the rest of the song as oil and water. The general consensus is that -OZ- needs to experiment more. I believe that they should stick to their guns and play what they're good at, but continue improving on that formula with every release. Somehow, they've managed to try both and do neither. My problem with STIGMA isn't so much that they haven't improved upon their formula any so much as the ways in which they're trying to be diverse sink the rest of the song. The song is a confused mess with a badly stitched chorus in the thick of it and is something that I don't plan on listening to more than twice.

I can barely tell apart any of the B-sides from one another, and the first two of the three have pretty shit choruses. Trusty is a below-average song constructed from below average song segments with guitars that gets repetitive fast. Blast is the token heavy song on the release that's pretty cool until it hits the chorus where all momentum is derailed. Flash back is my favorite song from the entire release with cool verses and an interesting chorus, although the transition between the two is patchy. Sounds like it'd fit on wisteria/viridian very well.

Two more things I'd also like to mention: Natsuki does lots of things to vary his vocals on this release, which is great. He doesn't sound nearly half as monotonic as he used to. Also, the mixing for this release sounds thin and washed out to me. This criticism might only apply to me however.

Below average release overall. This better not be indicative of the quality of any upcoming album.

I'm actually really digging "STIGMA" as a track. The electronic elements are fine for me, since I usually dig electronic influences, and Natsuki's harsh vocals have, well, gotten harsher? I like the feel of them. They're rough, harsh, and very much like they should sound.

"Trusty" sounds like an OZ song, until those dual clean vocals. This combined with "STIGMA" has me thinking that maybe they're recent shift from -OZ- to OZ (and obviously them going major) also encountered a shift in production staff (most assuredly). Perhaps a new producer who likes vocal layers? Either way, this should be a new standard for an OZ song to be compared to - it has catchy alt. metal lead guitar parts and a pop-ish chorus portion. It could be any filler song on an album if it needed to be.

"Blast" is probably my least favorite track, as it subtracts the strong points of OZ's song-writing ability - their pop sensibility. It's pretty bland, with the only interesting portion being the punkish group vocals in the "chorus." I almost expect Emmure to pop out and start going at it with their big-heavy-fitted-cap-breakdowns (see: http://youtu.be/xn2A_dXoIAA ).

"Flash back" almost sounds like OZ's ode to DEG with their guitar tones and the pulsing bass work along with the higher wavering vocal format. then again, after hearing the new 12012 album, maybe I'm just hearing things. Not a "bad" tr5ack by any means, but I can see why it ended up as a B-side.

I have only listened to it once so far, so I don't really have a strong opinion yet. All I can say is I had to skip Blast cause it was just plain bad.

Wow, Natsuki is sounding REALLY different this time around. Much better. I wouldn't even know it was him singing on Trusty.

Yeah I found this to be a "meh" release. I didn't really like the title track. The experimentation felt way too forced and jagged, it was like they were forcing their metal sound with the electronica portion. I love electronica and I love metal, and I love bands who can successfully pull of the two, however -OZ- more or less awkwardly fumbled in that area. I would have been happier with a track that stuck to their style, but was more polished or that had been pushed further. Blast didn't really do it for me, Trusty was okay and the only track I actually enjoyed was Flash back. Natsu's improved vocals were one of the few redeeming quality of this release.

6/10

As the "avid" listener of this band's newer repertoire, I was truly excited to see this single floating around here with different 3-4 types (once again, how was this called anyway, "Lycaon syndrome?")

Now to the main point:

Stigma - I like this song. I wouldn't add "alot" right after that sentence since there is a main "breaking point" which caused most of you listeners to think "how many songs did they sew in together...?", and that is the connection between heavy-ish verses, and poppy but catchy vk chorus. It's some sort of a shockingly good surprise for hxc fans, but for some it's more of a weakness of this song. But that is the only downside worth mentioning. Good effort from these boys, but all they need is a bit more time and experimentation without unnecessary conflicts between song parts. 8/10

Trusty - and this is where Natsuki takes his "vocal experimenting" further by adding harsh vocals (which remind me of M. Shadows from A7X - good old kiddio times) on par with their wobbly counterpart, aka Natsuki's trademark singing. I can see them jamming along to their US metal favorites before coming up with this piece of work, since this, oddly enough, has more metalcore/neo-post-hardcore riffs and melodies thrown in; instead of dominant nu metal riffage from their earlier repertoire. A good song - nothing spectacular nor truly special/outstanding, but it's truly worthy for a position of b-side. 8/10

Blast - This is the pinpoint of their newer part of experimentation - which is, as said above, vocals. You wouldn't recognize Natsuki right away when he is starting to sing with that "M. Shadows"-ish voice throughout the song avec growls...I can actually see where most of you are coming from when it comes to the chorus, since this is by far the corniest thing OZ has ever done in their career - with that HEAVYMAN-BG vocal thing you just won't get anywhere but down. Anyways, I wasn't so opposed to this idea of adding such things to song, and I actually enjoyed this song as well. No further complains nor blabbering ,nice b-side. 8/10

Flash Back - Yes, it does have DEG vibes in the background and near the end. But will we let it ruin our listening pleasures? No. This is by far one of the best b-sides OZ has ever produced - Newer approach into their sound (Natsuki's (?) vainly heard "WOAAHWOOAHWOAAHOOHAAHOOH"-BG wails/vocals, additional verse vocals and another OOOOHAAAAHEAAAH-part in the end), great bridge, nice & slow OZ-y chorus with Natsuki's emotional wobbles, and of course, their want to try out new elements is just shining through this song. I don't get the idea of that "noisy riff"-interlude though, a bit rushy for such good song. But we shouldn't let it make us sad - great song. 9/10

Overall: Just like Souga, this was a nice single from the boys - perhaps a bit worse than it's predecessor, but STIGMA's place in " the best vk singles of 2012" is more than deserved in my personal, honest and absolute opinion. Good job boys.

~8,5/10 (more plus points for experimenting)

Sign in to follow this