Sign in to follow this  
nekkichi

(single) Angelo - Calvary

I was pleasantly surprised with angelo's direction since babel, but that album was massively dragged down by uninspired, generic singles; a few freshly-baked fillers didn't help much either. Naturally, I had few hopes for Calvary, but upon hearing, I instantly fell in love with it.

First two tracks are mindblowing, and Calvary actually sounds different from any stuff Kirito and co have done before, with both pierrot and angelo.

Their sound developed a lot — either two new members brought something, or they have a new producer this time, but it worked great for the band.

Forbidden fruit is a tad disappointing, it's more of a typical heevy angelo track, but at the same time, it's a b-side that is massively better than any of singles they've released so far.

Having the whole single on repeat for the past few hours; I haven't enjoyed any vk release since probably 2006 that much, and quite hyped for their future releases too.

Any thoughts? Maiku-tan?

Bahahaha. I was just listening to Pierrot's Private Enemy and I got on モノクロムヘバン and saw your review and I was all "Ah~! Someone posted it~!" and I'm listening to it noww.

And I agree with you Nekkichi-tama. I feel Kirito is finally out of his repeating PIERROT loop. PIERROT lost two of it's best members and Angelo was like watching a cripple hop on one leg and try to play a ukelele. I feel like with Babel that the two new members joined pretty late and thus it all feels a little rushed but I enjoyed it cause it was better than anything Angelo had done previously. I am very happy with the direction of this single. Maybe the Despa members that joined got Kirito to basically alter his style a bit more differently. He's finally interesting again to be honest. The guitars are fucking great on the first two tracks. I'm very pleased and I feel like Angelo is gonna get better from here. So excited for what they'll release next~!

Calvary- I love this track to be honest. It's so different from anything they've done. Kirito is crooning differently and I feel like this is proof that the band is finally gonna start progressing. Song needs better drums. Interesting weird break down. Oddly pleasing rough vocals from Kirito. I guess the drums are bearable for that part of the song ahaha. Over all it's a pretty cool rock song. The chorus is kinda catchy as well. 8.7/10

SEVEN DEADLY SINS- The guitars sound cool and the drums seem to be a bit better done. This song probably should have been the single song. I guess it's equally as good as Calvary. Another great rock song. 8/10

Forbidden Fruit- Totally the token hard rock Angelo track but it's better than the other ones. Ahahaha. It's kind of groovy. My only real complaint is the drums. Sounds like someone is hitting pots and pans. Ahahaha. The guitars are sick. I don't really notice the bass to be honest. :/ Eh. Maybe it's not so great. Ahahaha. xD 4.5/10

This release gives me hope. :'D

Sign in to follow this