Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

POLAND SIGNS ACTA

acta authors are probably hoping or a piece of riaa funding pie, I don't really think poland gives a fuck about intellectual property

*sending megaupload rays to onshuu, iykwim*

Well...fuck. Seeing as Poland doesn't seem to be bothered with their people protesting against censorship, other countries might follow. Apparently America has already signed it though. I hope the rest of Europe won't do it. If this passes worldwide we're all in deep shit. Well, it was nice working with you, guys.

What I'm bothered with is the Netherlands, my own country. The Netherlands have always taken a strong position when it comes to the internet. Lots of things the government does is done through the internet as well, and they have their rules: downloading is not illegal if you're not planning on spreading it, uploading is illegal in any way. If other big European countries do it, I might think that Holland does it too, in order to keep relationships between the countries and also to follow America. A plus of our new government is that our new prime minister, Mark Rutte, doesn't lick the USA's boots as much as our previous prime minister did. He's stronger and more resistant, and I hope that will help us in this ACTA case.

Tomomi approving this so hard right now.

Guys... you can probably imagine how angry everyone here is... 

BUT - there's still a chance, it yet has to be approved by the parliament, so more protests to come...

Edited by man_of_the_oak

Since I've found out about all this ACTA bullshit, I always was damn afraid to see that something like this will eventually happen! And in the end, it just fucking did :x

Yeah, sorry if I sounded hyped. But because I am Polish, and I'd just never think what low level can politicians, who for not even a long time, give embarassment to my countrymen and instead on caring about the nation they seem to spend time on competiting each other. I'm also extermely afraid how far will it go. Now many times I just keep imagining the Internet surfing being monitored and grassed on into dominion.

Guys... you can probably imagine how angry everyone here is...

BUT - there's still a chance, it yet has to be approved by the parliament, so more protests to come...

Chance may be, but u know, the politicians of Poland are mostly nuts, it's even likely that Tusk will sign it and as a result privacy will get screw up. And in the following months the same might happen to rest of world. It'd be like cyber-stepping back to the communism rule days.

@Jigsaw I signed the petition too, so let's now just have hope that it won't end badly.

I think we all have one big question to ask ourselves? How can ACTA become more known to the public? Everyone is still worried about SOPA and even after the blackout we didn't get as big of a reaction as we expected. ACTA however is of course, much much worse.

Blaaah, well i'm spreading the word about ACTA to all my friends/family, hoping it will have a domino effect. Now if everyone follows suit, then something might actually get done.

well it's been all over twitter, that is pretty viral and we will see.

ACTA is bigger scale of bill, as many countries involved in it.

And there will absolutely countries that will sign it regardless what people say, for many reasons.

True but even ACTA is not able to stop "big" file sharers from sharing their stuff. They will just do it somewhere else in another way and it will not bring companies more money. I hardly doubt that people go out and buy more records. Not because they do not want to but a lot of them also can't because they do not have money. That is actually also what a guy from the Swiss government said. Downloads do not decrease the money of companies like Disney, Universal.. because kids still spend most of their money for entertainment.

I am actually more concerned about ACTA and medicamentation/food to be honest. I wonder whether it means that medicamentation and food prices are going to rise. What if you have a medicamentation intolerance and therefore cannot eat/drink the licensed product?

My Dad recently started watching BBC world news "for a new perspective," since during election year, the US media shuts itself off even more than usual. Anyway, they mentioned the ACTA protests in Europe and my dad asked me if I knew about them. I said yes, thanks to a little thing called MH! Then I told him what I knew about ACTA and showed him a few videos on youtube.

:D

Something that bothers me a lot is the lack of traffic about ACTA. How are we going to beat this thing if nobody knows about it? SOPA was also done in secret yet it was leaked to the public much faster, why not ACTA? If you type on Youtube "SOPA" the first video there has over 3 million views and the one from 3 weeks ago has over a million. If you type ACTA on youtube the result from about 3 weeks ago has nearly half the amount of views that the SOPA video has, but the thing is, the SOPA videos has millions upon millions of views from multiple videos. This just bothers me. We only have 24 days until this thing gets the finalization and takes effect.

Sign in to follow this