Sign in to follow this  
Prophet

Thanks & Karma System

Do you People Agree to run "Thankpost & Karma" System as we did back then in TW?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you People Agree to run "Thankpost & Karma" System as we did back then in TW?

• Yes
    • No

You guys still remember about this system, don't you?

I dont know the reason of omitting this system to begin with, but i am here to suggest to revive this system again.

With Karma / Thankpost system we can appreciate user's post or effort for ripping or uploading stuff more, i know that some people tent to just taking stuff without bother giving comment at least saying "thanks" or "trying this" (which i admmit i did it sometimes), i am pretty sure if we add the thankpost button there, those kind of "lazy commented people" will at least give a thank by pressing the thankpost button, that way the uploader will feel more happy or honored.

Well, that's all just my suggestion, i also add pole above to know how much you guys agree / not with me.

i saw many people visiting without giving a comment, there are only few except if the band is very known. this will encourage people to posts more uploads and more people will appreciate and it will not just have been overlooked. i voted for yes

i saw many people visiting without giving a comment, there are only few except if the band is very known. this will encourage people to posts more uploads and more people will appreciate and it will not just have been overlooked. i voted for yes

THIS! thx for strengthening my statement.

There has been discussions of this before,

And as far as i remember it was here when we first move to this new hosting,

but then somethings happened and ruins all the scripts or something,

and finally, either Champ or Kai has answers that

this is not applicable for this forum, yet.

I'll find the links and edit this post as soon as i did.

edit: there is actually a topic for it.

here ---> viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1265

Aw yea, guess imma wait and see if the MODs are gonna take this matter seriously since that topic has been abandoned quite a long time ago (07 August 2010).

And if that topic merely discuss about Thanks Button function, this one i made also suggesting to re-add the Karma thingy.

We actually have a Thanks-System installed, it's just not implemented for the default skin. The current skin was supposed to be only temporary, as Ito was working on a custom skin for us, so I never went through the trouble of rewriting the code for this skin to make the mod work. However, the developement of the custom skin ran into problems and is kinda abandoned atm, so I doubt we will see it anytime soon, if ever.

So yeah, if I find some time I might try to make the Thanksmod work with the default skin too.

In the meantime, if you can't wait, you could change your board settings to use the subsilver2 skin, I guess.

That sounds acceptable now. I am gonna wait.

But can somebody remind Ito for this Custom skin thingy? in case he forget or something. And if, there is a problem, can't you people (esp. other MODs) help him out in any way?

Well I'm sure this topic is enough to remind Ito. Skins for forums are something entirely different. It involves knowing and being comfortable with CSS in order to be able to do. That's not something that I think people on the mod team necessarily know how to do (or feel comfortable doing).

That sounds complicated, i wouldnt be comfortable dealing with that kinda stuff myself. Ok then, best of luck for Ito.

Kai and Manda already had a look at the custom skin, but they couldn't help either and it will probably be better to build a new one from scratch.

Either way, the new skin is not a requierement for the mod. It's just the reason why I haven't implemented it on the current skin when we moved here, as I was expecting a change of skin at some point.

I've been uploading some stuffs using "Ge.tt" (hosting site) which we, as the uploader can see how many people downloaded the file lately. Sadly, I found that the amount of people who downloaded my file is way bigger than those who give comment.

I see that under our avatar there are new features now (has thanked & have thanks), I hope it works soon. It's better to apply a feature where we can't see the download link before we give thank to the uploader.

It's better to apply a feature where we can't see the download link before we give thank to the uploader.

We had that feature once and it caused major server lag. Since our server already is very strained as it is, it's probably not coming back. Plus, I don't think it is very feasable these days. People will just download their stuff elsewhere then.

Also, the Has thanks/has thanked under the avatar is just the result of our mods going crazy after the problems that occured a week ago or so. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, we already had a Thanks-mod installed, but it was not fully implemented for the standard theme.

When I wanted to reinstall the custom title mod two days and it actually caused the Thanks-Mod to screw over the forum, making all threads inaccesible, taking me 2 hours to fix.

So, we are probably going to remove some mods, including the Thanks-Mod, maybe start with a fresh phpbb install, if we find the time, and slowly add back only the most necessary mods.

Either way, if we bring back the Thanks-Mod, it will most likely not be a Thanks-for-link-feature, but purely voluntary, because of the server lag I mentioned above.

Also I know from the time when I was uploading a lot of stuff that I ratio downloads/thanks was usually around 10:1. But personally I think that's just the way it is. But just seeing the number of downloads (pages like Mediafire do that anyway if you have an account) was satisfaction enough for me, and I always preferred people giving me genuine thanks by their own choice, rather than just spamming a button because they had to.

We had that feature once and it caused major server lag. Since our server already is very strained as it is, it's probably not coming back. Plus, I don't think it is very feasable these days. People will just download their stuff elsewhere then.

Ah, your argument is solid. I can't argue with this.

.... and I always preferred people giving me genuine thanks by their own choice, rather than just spamming a button because they had to.

Hit the nail on my head.

Sign in to follow this