zombie8mylunch

random thoughts thread

Hmm. To give an example on the flip side, Aldious gets posted in "Visual Kei" downloads, but I don't see what makes them more "VK" than Yousei Teikoku..

I personally wouldn't call Aldious VK.

Edited by peffy

5 hours ago, nostalgia said:

For me, I also consider a band being VK from the connected/affiliated artists despite their look, but some may still be difficult to tell. xD

5 hours ago, peffy said:

This is probably a very stupid question but I'm a noob. What makes a band/artist qualify as "visual kei"?

Today I've been staring at Yousei Teikoku (妖精帝國) a lot, and they look pretty VK to me, at least in their current 5-member formation (they were a duo for a long time). However, their music gets posted in the "General" download forum.

Pros:

- rock/metal/gothic genre

- sometimes gothic-ish costumes

- sometimes dictator theme (flag-waving, military-style costumes, "Doctrine" and "Propaganda" in album titles)

- makeup & hairstyling 

Cons:

- signed to "anime/game music" label Lantis

- female vocalist with male band members (??? there aren't many VK bands with mixed genders)

- probably not affiliated with any other VK bands (I'm guessing. I don't follow twitters and gossip and tours and what not)

- .... i dunno what else

There are several mixed gender VK bands though, but I think the main reason they might not be considered VK is that they are signed to a anime/game music label. And as they are signed to such a label, they probably don't tour with visual kei bands --> they are not visual kei.

To think that someone I trusted and respected as a professor FOR 3 SEMESTERS (for one of my favorite subjects btw), turns out to be the absolute scum of the earth...
I'm seething with anger, but luckily he gets kicked the hell out of my uni. after this apparent investigation is over...

Hell, I'm being optimistic, considering he teaches 4/6 classes for the major... I'm glad the department is pushing for different professors though.

Edited by colorfuljinsei

13 hours ago, peffy said:

Hmm. To give an example on the flip side, Aldious gets posted in "Visual Kei" downloads, but I don't see what makes them more "VK" than Yousei Teikoku..

I personally wouldn't call Aldious VK.

The staff usually lumps e.g. Wagakki band uploads into VK department for some reason even though

a ) They have more non-VK members than VK-associated peeps (a collective of popular Nico Nico artists).

b ) As Para said it already, acts like these (doujin/vocaloid/anime-related aficionado circles) very rarely get in touch with other visual bands live-wise.

c ) Yuko NEVER coined her collective as "visual" (nor did Machiya btw). This matters a lot when we discuss VK in a large-scale context.

My additions which some might find "blatantly unlegit":

d ) Production values and general approach adopted by Wagakki Band has a lot more to do with e.g. groups and Utaite under Lantis' (anime/game/related OST label) wing than how we normally see new waves of visual kei bands.

e ) Vocaloid/Doujin background is still audible in their music. Could you name at least one (widely accepted) VK collective with genuine loyalty towards those scenes?

Nitpicking is definitely tiresome but giving it some thought would be nice and less *ignorant*.

1 hour ago, Carmelzors said:

The staff usually lumps e.g. Wagakki band uploads into VK department for some reason even though

???.... Wagakki Band releases are posted in General tho....??? But you do bring up some interesting points as to why they are not VK.

I get the argument against Yousei Teikoku. They are not part of the "VK scene", so to speak, so they shouldn't be categorized as VK.

(I'll still consider them VK in my heart, tho)

Edited by peffy

1 hour ago, peffy said:

???.... Wagakki Band releases are posted in General tho....??? But you do bring up some interesting points as to why they are not VK.

I get the argument against Yousei Teikoku. They are not part of the "VK scene", so to speak, so they shouldn't be categorized as VK.

(I'll still consider them VK in my heart, tho)

Maybe now but the last time I remember, they had releases in general too but MOSTLY in VK before the MH revamp.

Anyways:

Gackt-Album-Sales-History.png

Kaisan immediately!

Edited by Alroy

when people say white people cant dance

21 hours ago, Carmelzors said:

Gackt-Album-Sales-History.png

Kaisan immediately!

and atheists say god isn't real! bring back malice mizer u WANKER

That feeling when you finally remember that it's your mom's birthday... a week too late.

Edited by Pho

tumblr_nlj0idi8OU1ts9btco1_1280_zps6v7zd

There’s something just magical about the seller’s response. I can’t quite put my finger on it.

reviews_zps5fpl7eqj.jpg

It's your fault. YOUR fault.

In my experience, Japanese sellers respond with the best comebacks.

Gonna help another class out after work today. Gonna be hard. I usually work with the 2nd graders in school and 1st graders after school, which I will do today as well, but 4th are gonna have a sleepover tonight (from 6pm till 8 am) and I'll be there because they needed a male. I'll get well-paid, free food and and all that, but it's gonna be hard.

I'll leave at 7am today and work from 8 am till 4:30 pm as usual.

When my regular work day ends at 4:30pm I'll go work with the 4th graders from 4:30 pm til 8 am. The kids will show up at 6 pm and the hour and half before that I'll help prepare food and shit

And then tomorrow morning at 8 am I'll start my regular work day from 8 am till 4:30 pm

Lots of work with a lot of overtime which will make my next payment look and feel great. It'll basically be a 32.5 hour work day (if my mind ain't fucking with me), but hopefully with a couple of hours of sleep. But it'll be paid sleep (and most likely series and film watching), so it's all good and well. Yeah, let's see how this shit goes.

On 4/29/2016 at 1:27 PM, Carmelzors said:

a ) They have more non-VK members than VK-associated peeps (a collective of popular Nico Nico artists).

b ) As Para said it already, acts like these (doujin/vocaloid/anime-related aficionado circles) very rarely get in touch with other visual bands live-wise.

c ) Yuko NEVER coined her collective as "visual" (nor did Machiya btw). This matters a lot when we discuss VK in a large-scale context.

My additions which some might find "blatantly unlegit":

d ) Production values and general approach adopted by Wagakki Band has a lot more to do with e.g. groups and Utaite under Lantis' (anime/game/related OST label) wing than how we normally see new waves of visual kei bands.

e ) Vocaloid/Doujin background is still audible in their music. Could you name at least one (widely accepted) VK collective with genuine loyalty towards those scenes?

Nitpicking is definitely tiresome but giving it some thought would be nice and less *ignorant*.

I lump Wagakki Band into visual kei because that way people are more likely to check them out. They're nice and have a cool concept but I do not believe them to be visual kei. I do think they put most visual bands to shame and they could claim the title very easily if they chose to. My rule of thumb is that a band is not visual kei unless they say they are. Seems to work well for my cases anyhow.