zombie8mylunch

random thoughts thread

7 hours ago, IGM_Oficial said:

Someone sent me this

Okay, so weirdly enough, this came up in my recommended just now. Bear in mind I opened YouTube before I went to this thread so basically YT pre-empted me seeing your post here. 🤔

On 12/6/2019 at 2:29 AM, Chell said:

Oh boy no but listen, there is this old ass mixed media aka mangaanimegamenovelband pioneer bishounen aidoru thing called Kaikan Phrase and it's finally gotten in prime nearly-2020 the "set 20 years into the future" mobage spinoff it always deserved. I am getting so addicted to a silly Mario Party Meets Ensemble Stars mobage I might as well go full weeb again for it. I am seriously prone to becoming the kind of loserface fujoshi who tweets nonstop on her private twitter to 10 followers who could Not Care Less about her amazing 16 yo 2d husbando from a random obscure japanese only game BUT worth it. 

There's a hot guy voiced by Suzuki Tatsuhisa!!! Also local Lone Visual Guy In An Otherwise Normal Jpoprock Band TOWA aka mai husbando from the original cast went full Gackt in those 20 years? He's the member without (legitimate?) children, looks even younger, short blond hair ....... probs living in a mansion in Malaysia or sumth ...... Anyway I am having a blast with literally no one to talk to. Why the hell am I planning to waste my summer break away with this 

Life updates: I did waste my summer break away with this and it's the best thing I could have done with it.

i just realized that the dude that recently left this shite band was from fucking madeth gray'll, what the actual fuck

1 hour ago, suji said:

i just realized that the dude that recently left this shite band was from fucking madeth gray'll, what the actual fuck

Whatttt!? I don’t know why anyone agreed to be a part of this band tbf surely everyone in the scene knows that Yomi needs a break 

They really need to omit the whole "Peace Be With You" + handshake thing when half the church is coughing their asses off. Immediately came down with a shitty cold the next day, and I'm still having to take Dayquil... Need to replace the holy water with some hand sanitizer. 

Edited by colorful人生

I wonder if Yuri who used to be the vocalist of Signal is friends with Kiwamu/Starwave, just noticed that either he or his company were credited as the guys who directed (maybe produced?) Music videos for cula, xanvala and who knows who else. Still wish Yuri was singing and not directing tho lol

I always get the urge to clean at stupid o'clock in the morning when I really should be sleeping, is that weird?

My bf woke up to weird noises outside plus the sound of a very distressed chicken. Now I'm paranoid af and can't sleep especially after we binged 'You' season 2. Note to self, don't binge violent creepy shows when visiting a violent country. 

Edit: ffs the distressed chicken sound he heard was just the morning cry of the cockerell lmao he didn't expect it at 3am and got spooked

I've been back at home for like 3 days and already feel like I've slipped back into the pit of depression & stress. LOVE it.

At least there's the fact i'll have the opening of my first 'proper' long-term exhibition next week to look forward to.. it ain't much but it's still something

my dog passed away a week ago and ive been struggling every day since then. today we received his ashes in a box/urn sort of thing and also a paw print of his in some sort of material. i broke down today seeing the urn and his paw print. i still cant believe hes actually gone 

My mother outdid herself. I changed my

phone number and she is now sending me emails with the classical abusive “you are nothing without me and no one else loves you” discourse. 

How do you deal with toxic exes? Because this is basic “I’ll belittle you until you take me back” shit. 

59 minutes ago, Komorebi said:

My mother outdid herself. I changed my

phone number and she is now sending me emails with the classical abusive “you are nothing without me and no one else loves you” discourse. 

How do you deal with toxic exes? Because this is basic “I’ll belittle you until you take me back” shit. 

Block/blacklist every possible way she could get to me like phone number, email address and all that.

I'd do the same, if Mother ever tried to contact me but she didn't try yet.

And then keep going that way, never giving in on anything to make sure no boundaries get violated.

So uh.These days I was listening to random music on Deezer based on my tastes etc. I just wanted to listen to anything. And it recommended MUCC which I've never listened a lot to but I've always thought of as a "meh OK band"? Really back in the days I LOVED this anime called Zombie Loan to which they played the ending song lol, and it was pretty cool but that's all I knew about them. I probably downloaded Gokusai some time in 2007, because it's the only album I know by name, it probably didn't catch my attention enough and that was it.

But then Deezer recommended me one song and I thought it was the dopest thing ever, for real. Then I listened to the whole album and ... I liked it. So I wanted to dig more of their discography, and then I realized it's That One Album every fan seems to dislike. Now I'm just sitting there like lol there's fifteen albums for me to listen and I ain't sure they're not going to be one let down after another. And if they're somehow still up to my tastes I am just going to get mad at my teenage self for not listening to more of them before, probably. Do I want to listen at this point? Idk bruhh

I feel like some of my best moments of exploration (musically) for me are the ones where I get completely thrown out of my element and neurons just fire off trying to hear something familiar. That internet frenzy/journey where you get the "familiar" things piecemeal and have to immerse yourself in new stuff is really stimulating, but that process requires time that I'm constantly having to shift around b/c life. While not trying to sound r/imverysmart here, it's hard to find other people who appreciate the granularity and variability that music has. I'm not just talking about the music theory or "sound quality", but culture and lyricism -which by the way, includes more than just diction (which can be one of those make or break things for some people), but ideas. I find most people paint you as "liberal" (which while accurate by definition, is now packaged with political leftness) or an "oddity" if you show interest at my level. (not saying either term is bad, but it's that snap judgement stuff that is bothersome)

Going from "niche" places like certain video game music and visual kei to finding appreciation in the main "bastions" of hip-hop, jazz, bluegrass, folk, etc. (and explore diff. sub-genres/"flavors" w/in them) was the best thing I ever did. Beyond making things more exciting, it has (as I've mentioned in other posts) helped me build connections easier. I just wish that enthusiasm or interest in exploration was reciprocal, but maybe i'm expecting too much. 

Edited by colorful人生

DOUBLE QUOTE INCOMING @colorful人生

On 1/5/2020 at 11:17 PM, colorful人生 said:

lmao, finally found my turntable.fm and last.fm profiles that I screenshotted ages ago...

Hide contents

turntable-fm-memories.jpg 

Screenshot-2015-04-11-13-54-37.png

kinda cringing at the descriptions, not gonna lie

I love seeing stuff like this! tt.fm was great and I miss our plug/dub sessions too. The last.fm cap you posted was one of my favorite iterations of their layouts...it's a shame the site has essentially been left for dead.

You inspired me to go dig up some of the old last.fm and tt.fm screenshots I had, and this is what I found (my first last.fm account was named "one80" and I made the account I use now, "wesurii", in 2015.):

Spoiler

KdGvOVY.png

sQ6ly2t.png

0PhIcny.png

1bgjJUV.png

7y4gV6U.png

butibKf.png

22 hours ago, colorful人生 said:

I feel like some of my best moments of exploration (musically) for me are the ones where I get completely thrown out of my element and neurons just fire off trying to hear something familiar. That internet frenzy/journey where you get the "familiar" things piecemeal and have to immerse yourself in new stuff is really stimulating, but that process requires time that I'm constantly having to shift around b/c life. While not trying to sound r/imverysmart here, it's hard to find other people who appreciate the granularity and variability that music has. I'm not just talking about the music theory or "sound quality", but culture and lyricism -which by the way, includes more than just diction (which can be one of those make or break things for some people), but ideas. I find most people paint you as "liberal" (which while accurate by definition, is now packaged with political leftness) or an "oddity" if you show interest at my level. (not saying either term is bad, but it's that snap judgement stuff that is bothersome)

Going from "niche" places like certain video game music and visual kei to finding appreciation in the main "bastions" of hip-hop, jazz, bluegrass, folk, etc. (and explore diff. sub-genres/"flavors" w/in them) was the best thing I ever did. Beyond making things more exciting, it has (as I've mentioned in other posts) helped me build connections easier. I just wish that enthusiasm or interest in exploration was reciprocal, but maybe i'm expecting too much. 

broooooooooooooo. I feel you on this.  From childhood, I've had an atypical relationship with music, but I think it was when I actually started producing music in my teens that my ears took on a new perspective. For a while, I drew most of my inspiration from southern Hip Hop (back when the south actually had a distinct sound), anison, mainstream Jpop (and slight bits of the oldschool r&B/funk I heard my parents listening to)...this was in the early 00's. And around 06-ish I started diving into extreme metal, noise, free-jazz, idm and whatever other genre/sub-genre I could name to make myself appear "sophisticated" and "elite" at the time. 🤣 🤣 🤣  (yeah, I was hella insecure about music tastes when I was younger - mostly due to being an outcast in both my online and offline environments, but I digress)

Despite the vanity and validation-seeking involved in this pursuit, I developed a genuine love/appreciation for sounds and the way they interact with one another. I learned a lot from this journey, and a lot about myself especially. This process went on for some years (and is still going on, just at a much slower pace), but my tastes have begun to crystallize as I've gotten older and I no longer have the time to really sink into music exploration like i used to. It's actually interesting because in the past few years, I've even started to enjoy stuff that I neglected or avoided in the past due to "hurr durr elitism" and being a hipster in general. So now, I feel like I've come full circle in my music tastes, and that need for validation is looong gone. In fact, when I look back, the elitism that I aspired to is something I'd consider being a "fake elitist"...listening to stuff just because other ppl deemed it cool. foh. I say being truly elite is about being yourself and fully embracing your own individuality and your own subjectivity without remorse.

In regards to reciprocation, I've befriended quite a few enthusiasts over the years, but while I've always dabbled in a little bit of everything, the music friends I'd meet always had one or a few areas where they truly specialized in. This worked for me because I could glean a little bit from everyone in my network while also offering them something in return. I was especially blessed to have amassed this network because even after my own exploration slowed down, I had friends around that were always excited to share their new discoveries or recommend stuff to me. Relationships truly are our greatest wealth!

Kind of a sidebar, cuz i'm kinda rambling at this point, but when I really decided that I liked and wanted to be a part of MH (then called Tainted World) in 08, one of my main goals was to expose ppl to the many layers of J-rock that were beyond VK, mainstream J-rock, and even your surface-level indie stuff. Many of our younger users don't seem to realize this, but MH/TW, despite its overwhelming VK fanbase, has always been billed as a "J-rock" forum, and I made it a personal mission of mine to promote other areas of J-rock (and even J-music as a whole) at one point....and uh...was I successful? eh, to an extent. There WAS a time here when there were more indie, and more generalized J-rock fans here, but could that have been attributed to my effort alone? Nah. But alas, time changes.

tldr: OK BOOMER!!! :chi:

a few questions for you tho @colorful人生:

#1. WHERE WERE YOU 10 YEARS AGO!??? I NEEDED YOU!!! :P

#2. What was it that prompted you to explore music to the extent that you have?

(my answer is embarrassingly simple: i was 17/18 and got shat on by a music elitist on a Jpop forum for trying to defend L'Arc-en-ciel. Dude said I was "an A&R's wet dream". I walked around mad at that for like 2 WEEKS!!! 🤣 🤣 🤣 then decided lemme go educate myself a bit :P )

#3. Are there any areas/styles of music where you feel more..."grounded" when listening to them than others? Like something that feels like homebase, so to speak?

#4. What does your music network look like now?

so I've posted this in the vk popularity thread a few days ago and today I'm accidentally stumbling up this glorious gothic lolita queen:

her first globally-released album came out in Europe first despite being recorded in the US, with a 3rd press released through starwave mail order & limited 10 copies the end records; she played with Courtney Love and a bunch of other Real musicianS which you can look up on wiki and for the past 10 + years she only does theatre w/o venturing into music.

which probably has some correlation to how VK would have been received in an imaginary scenario with US music industry picking up on it same way game dev used to do with wEirD'n'QuIRkY Japanese games in early 2000s.

29 minutes ago, nekkichi said:

so I've posted this in the vk popularity thread a few days ago and today I'm accidentally stumbling up this glorious gothic lolita queen:

her first globally-released album came out in Europe first despite being recorded in the US, with a 3rd press released through starwave mail order & limited 10 copies the end records; she played with Courtney Love and a bunch of other Real musicianS which you can look up on wiki and for the past 10 + years she only does theatre w/o venturing into music.

which probably has some correlation to how VK would have been received in an imaginary scenario with US music industry picking up on it same way game dev used to do with wEirD'n'QuIRkY Japanese games in early 2000s.

That's interesting, I didn't know that was the type of music she made. I'd only heard of her because of her parts in the movie "The Devil's Carnival".

5 minutes ago, violetchain said:

That's interesting, I didn't know that was the type of music she made. I'd only heard of her because of her parts in the movie "The Devil's Carnival".

oh - it's a remix by someone affiliated with her european label (I vaguely remember the dope stars, but I never cared for them), 

she doesn't do guitar arrangements and generally sounds like this:

I'm still very sad she never had a lasting career because her entire niche got filled with Amanda Palmer and her reductive clownery.

Have you ever felt "hey, im kinda down today.. maybe I'll eat something sweet." Annnd somehow that makes you a bit sadder. How the hell even