zombie8mylunch

random thoughts thread

53 minutes ago, colorful人生 said:

jesus fuck, I never knew this existed until someone started shitposting sonic w/ a hand over his heart, and I regret everything. also, I have to make everyone else suffer with me.

I'm so glad yet heartbroken that Yugi was not a part of this ~amazing~ lineup 💔

32 minutes ago, Zeus said:

I'm finding this manufactured controversy around the skin tone of Ariel the mermaid endlessly annoying. Society loves picking at old scars over and over again when we get bored, eh?

Don't tell it to me. I'm completely avoiding FB because I saw a friend of mine having a complete ugly FB meltdown over it  and now I'm afraid she'll start with me too in chat if she see me there. 😨  I know that if I'd say that I don't care it would not be received well, but I don't want to argue over the f*cking Little Mermaid nor silently submit to one hour rant about it and pretend I don't find all of it embarassing. So I'm ghosting FB and her untill things blow over and she regain a bit of sanity.

It's not even fucking "Brave" by Jove!

Meanwhile the real (HARD) Disney animation fangirl I have on the friendlist doesn't give a shit about it because she likes the story.

(And at Disney they are rubbing their hands because it's a ton of free advertising)

END OF MY RANT 😂

Clearly people get very offended when you mess with their politics, religion or their childhood. Honestly I'd be more concerned that it turns out like this, than worrying about skin tone. 

1 hour ago, Zeus said:

I'm finding this manufactured controversy around the skin tone of Ariel the mermaid endlessly annoying. Society loves picking at old scars over and over again when we get bored, eh?

We're literally living in the fucking Truman Show

40 minutes ago, secret_no_03 said:

Clearly people get very offended when you mess with their politics, religion or their childhood. Honestly I'd be more concerned that it turns out like this, than worrying about skin tone. 

If someone's childhood can be boiled down to one movie or a few cartoons then I feel very sorry for them. People are way too fucking protective of this notion of "childhood", acting like crybabies over it constantly. Okay, the fact that the Krabby Patty secret ingredient is crab is fucked up but should anyone really be developing Freudian traumas over that?

I see multiple parts to this:

• I think it's a perfectly normal response to get upset about the unabashed racism that spews itself after every casting decision w/ a PoC. I usu. back off and let the trolls do their work, but the response was lightning quick. Kinda speaks to those welled up "feelings" coming to the forefront after a certain presidency o3o.
    • ... or maybe a chunk of those comment trolls are bots/paid *wears tinfoil hat*
  • Everything seems more profound on the internet than it actually is, and no one cares after a month anyway. Also people exist outside the U.S.
  • I notice a lot of people who denounced the "whitewashing" for the GitS adaptation but supported this. I never had a problem with GitS, and as long as you're not using the actor/actress as a direct fill-in (like someone pretending to be of "x" race), I think all is good. 
  • Some of the same people who just had a handful of Disney movies as their "childhood" also called the shit I watched as a kid growing up weird b/c it was foreign. It's not my obligation to watch "your" favorite movies. Naturally, it's fine to like whatever the fuck you want.
  • This casting decision was (whether we want to see it that way or not)  for marketingbux, and will probably continue as long as people take the bait. Maybe the racism we should be paying attention to is using PoC as outrage marketingbux. If studios really wanted change in perception, maybe create or adapt franchises that celebrates cultural uniqueness (like they've done on the animated front.) Though it's been proven to be a safe bet financially to adapt existing franchises than create new ones : / . 

One question, though. I haven't used FB since 2014/15, has it really gotten that bad, generally speaking? I know it depends on your friend groups, but I didn't know there was such vitriol (especially when there's no anonymity involved.)

Edited by colorful人生

56 minutes ago, colorful人生 said:
  • Everything seems more profound on the internet than it actually is, and no one cares after a month anyway.

One question, though. I haven't used FB since 2014/15, has it really gotten that bad, generally speaking?

This is very true, we could literally have a thousand people killed in a shooting and we'd have moved on a month later like it was nothing. 

I don't know Facebook as I haven't used it how you're supposed to in a decade, I've noticed that my SO gets aggravated by the crazy right wing shit her extended family posts.

1 hour ago, colorful人生 said:

I see multiple parts to this:

• I think it's a perfectly normal response to get upset about the unabashed racism that spews itself after every casting decision w/ a PoC. I usu. back off and let the trolls do their work, but the response was lightning quick. Kinda speaks to those welled up "feelings" coming to the forefront after a certain presidency o3o.
    • ... or maybe a chunk of those comment trolls are bots/paid *wears tinfoil hat*
  • Everything seems more profound on the internet than it actually is, and no one cares after a month anyway. Also people exist outside the U.S.
  • I notice a lot of people who denounced the "whitewashing" for the GitS adaptation but supported this. I never had a problem with GitS, and as long as you're not using the actor/actress as a direct fill-in (like someone pretending to be of "x" race), I think all is good. 
  • Some of the same people who just had a handful of Disney movies as their "childhood" also called the shit I watched as a kid growing up weird b/c it was foreign. It's not my obligation to watch "your" favorite movies. Naturally, it's fine to like whatever the fuck you want.
  • This casting decision was (whether we want to see it that way or not)  for marketingbux, and will probably continue as long as people take the bait. Maybe the racism we should be paying attention to is using PoC as outrage marketingbux. If studios really wanted change in perception, maybe create or adapt franchises that celebrates cultural uniqueness (like they've done on the animated front.) Though it's been proven to be a safe bet financially to adapt existing franchises than create new ones : / . 

One question, though. I haven't used FB since 2014/15, has it really gotten that bad, generally speaking? I know it depends on your friend groups, but I didn't know there was such vitriol (especially when there's no anonymity involved.)

I should have elaborated a bit before I dropped my earlier comment.

I'm over the reactionary culture I'm living in right now. All it takes for inane drama like this to boil over is twelve angry people on Twitter with enough followers and too much time on their hands. We've reached the point where you can be offended by proxy; no one has to directly insult you, a straw man that attacks your ideals will do just fine. All I see when I go on Facebook are people one upping each other trying to appear the most accepting and woke about PoC, or posting history lessons about what the original Little Mermaid story was and why skin color doesn't matter, or people posting jokes and memes about it making light of the situation, but I bet you that absolutely none of these people are friends with a racist on Facebook. They filtered them out years ago, and that's my beef. Facebook these days is too many posers who always have to say something and the choir is tired of the sermon, and the sword cuts both ways with this one. It's true that no one will care in a month about this, because in a month it will be a brand new topic to get enraged over, and people will go right back to the front lines, ready to be angry again.

5 minutes ago, secret_no_03 said:

I don't know Facebook as I haven't used it how you're supposed to in a decade, I've noticed that my SO gets aggravated by the crazy right wing shit her extended family posts.

Tell her to hide the posts and save both of yourselves some grief. They won't stop, she won't defriend them, you don't really care, hide the posts and save everyone the time. Out of sight is out of mind. That's why I hang out here and not FB.

4 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Tell her to hide the posts and save both of yourselves some grief. They won't stop, she won't defriend them, you don't really care, hide the posts and save everyone the time. Out of sight is out of mind. That's why I hang out here and not FB.

I keep telling her to unfollow them, but yeah. I don't fuck with my dad's side of the family and my mom has no siblings so.

8 minutes ago, Zeus said:

I should have elaborated a bit before I dropped my earlier comment.

I'm over the reactionary culture I'm living in right now. All it takes for inane drama like this to boil over is twelve angry people on Twitter with enough followers and too much time on their hands. We've reached the point where you can be offended by proxy; no one has to directly insult you, a straw man that attacks your ideals will do just fine. All I see when I go on Facebook are people one upping each other trying to appear the most accepting and woke about PoC, or posting history lessons about what the original Little Mermaid story was and why skin color doesn't matter, or people posting jokes and memes about it making light of the situation, but I bet you that absolutely none of these people are friends with a racist on Facebook. They filtered them out years ago, and that's my beef. Facebook these days is too many posers who always have to say something and the choir is tired of the sermon, and the sword cuts both ways with this one. It's true that no one will care in a month about this, because in a month it will be a brand new topic to get enraged over, and people will go right back to the front lines, ready to be angry again.

The woke are on FB? I thought it was all middle aged folks...Facebook is so...I don't even know, 2012? I've started deliberately trying to avoid as much news on Twitter as possible as it's just either SJW bullshit, well let's be real, it literally is just left news as Twitter is a liberal company and platform. I literally saw all Trump stuff the other day after the 4th of July celebration. I guess it's useful when people die though since I'd have never known that they Disney star died, at least until I went on Wikipedia since that's an obituary (for some bizarre reason). 

1 minute ago, secret_no_03 said:

The woke are on FB? I thought it was all middle aged folks...Facebook is so...I don't even know, 2012?

Middle aged folks can be "woke" too. There are all types on the internet.

I got held back an academic year so I'm about a year older than most of my classmates. I've also been living on my own since I was sixteen, but I've never lived outside my city of birth. For some reason, they all seem to want to live all over the country (or even in different countries) the moment they turn eighteen, and whenever I ask them why, they're all like "I don't just wanna be at home all the time, I gotta get out and explore and do my own thing!"

And I'm just like...

C7z8O1p.gif

Fair enough if that's what they wanna do, but I guess they haven't heard of this thing they might need called £10,000 (at least)… it's like trying to get a Koenigsegg as your first car. It sounds sadistic, but I am gonna piss myself laffing when I see them still in the arse-end of England for the next few years.

On 7/6/2019 at 7:57 PM, suji said:

I'm so glad yet heartbroken that Yugi was not a part of this ~amazing~ lineup 💔

Well its 50 50, he kinda is there cause Dan Green (Knuckles)

I've been thinking a lot about the death of the age of individual genius.

No one calls it that, but that's what I've taken to calling it. Humanity has progressed so far that most, if not all, of the "low-hanging fruit" of scientific discoveries has already been discovered, studied, and refined. There are plenty of things left to create and discover, but that will be done by teams of scientists working together. But it is not the same. Humans have a fascination with the number one, because it's one of the few numbers humans can conceptualize mentally. Teams of scientists don't have the same ring to it that "John Bale, M.D." does, and that got me to thinking if Einstein's theories would have penetrated pop culture as deeply if he worked closely with another scientist and they proposed their theories together. A large part of me thinks that it wouldn't have, because "Einstein & co." isn't as marketable psychologically as "Einstein". With one you can spin a story of team work and collaboration, but the other you can deify into a figure whose last name becomes synonymous with genius. Everyone alive is looking for a way to earn a footnote in the history books, and inventing some new math or new technology is an easy way to do it. Or is it? This is where I see the idolization aspects of American culture eating away at cultural progress. Think back to a few months ago when we captured the first ever photo of a black hole in space, and how quick the press was to assign credit to only one person for a good example on this.

Our society is addicted to technology, dependent on it even, and we're constantly pushing people to enter STEM to advance the fields, but we can't name the inventors of many of these technologies without looking it up. Cell phones? Internet? GPS? Wi-Fi? Artificial Intelligence, machine learning, and neural networks? Self-driving cars, voice recognition software, graphical user interfaces? A lot of this stuff expands past casual conversation and requires some real thought to work through, so when things get reduced to simplest terms it turns out that credit doesn't matter if it benefits humanity all the same whether the person knows your name or not. Maybe other scientists read your paper and give you credit, maybe your name hits the newspapers, maybe you win the pop culture lottery and people remember your name for longer than fifteen minutes. Most likely, you'll end your lunch break to get back to those open-ended, graduate level problems in your queue.

When it comes down to it, credit shouldn't matter and the discovery should stand as a testament to itself. But our society requires that you have clout in exchange for funds to continue existing research and start new research, and that begins with making a name for yourself. But it's hard to do that when most work is collaborative and your name never appears first on any of the work you do, and you don't get full credit for the work that you do. It's difficult to see the point in continuing to do what I do everyday when all of these "benefits to science" aren't benefiting my pocket or my resume. I've done some crazy impressive shit while people are waiting for the next Einstein to enter the field and do some crazy impressive shit, and it's almost as if people aren't looking for what they say they are.

It's twice as depressing knowing that yesterday someone gave a 45 minute talk casting doubt many of my clients have on the value of what I provide to the institution, as if I haven't spent five years of my life untangling 60+ TB of twenty seven of the most poorly managed big data sets I've ever laid eyes on.

Vk's like a telenovela~ it's been on some local, obscure TV channel for 20 years, you're on the 1537th episode and by this point 75% od the cast has been replaced and you can't even remember the original actors. 90% of the characters had at one point slept/married/divorced each other. Some of it is subbed but some is not, and honestly either way it doesn't really make much difference. Someone is gesticulating wildly while crying and half of the set is on fire. 

Also it's almost 2am and I'm drunk on a Wednesday.

Ya know. Despicable as it is, people lie all of the time. You have people that lie for absolutely no reason, you have people that think telling white lies somehow makes it less of a lie. You've got lies of omission. You've got ppl who deliberately lie for selfish and/or nefarious means. Even some of the most upright folks will lie if it benefits them. And hell, most of us lie to ourselves on a daily basis. People lie.

But what amazes me is that some people have a hard time even just entertaining the possibility that many things that have been accepted as fact or that people put their trust in, whether we're speaking about history or modern times, could indeed be lies.

Maybe it's because being so-called "woke" has become such a meme that people seem less inclined to consider ideas that might directly contradict the status quo or history as we know it? I don't know. But I don't even think it's a matter of being woke, honestly. I think it's a matter of common sense: Just because one has a title like historian, scientist, politician, banker etc....that does not exempt them from fallibility, corruptibility, or the human condition.

Everything we put our trust in is the product of other human beings, most of which are just as fucked up as we are (if not more). That's a sobering thought. Knowing how humans are, it just makes me wonder how many personal/political/religious agendas and biases have shaded the lenses through which we view the world.