zombie8mylunch

random thoughts thread

So this topic is halfway thru its lifespan...kinda hard to think that one day we will have a random thoughts 2 thread. Maybe, maybe not, depends on if the forum software is updated to let us go past that limitation of 950 pages. But 950 page topics are absolutely ridiculous, and I've seen other forum software cap out at much less, like 500 pages or so, so I am not going to hold my breath.

On 3/5/2019 at 11:43 AM, Zeus said:

So this topic is halfway thru its lifespan...kinda hard to think that one day we will have a random thoughts 2 thread.

just delete it. burn the whole thing down. i'm begging yOU

Interesting. When you change your tune up, or manifest peculiar behavior to those around you, most would rather make assumptions about said change and delve into gossip, slander, and backbiting instead of simply seeking genuine inquiry into the matter. What is the core motivation for such behavior?

This is par the course tho. And I'd say it speaks volumes about human nature.

7 hours ago, CAT5 said:

Interesting. When you change your tune up, or manifest peculiar behavior to those around you, most would rather make assumptions about said change and delve into gossip, slander, and backbiting instead of simply seeking genuine inquiry into the matter. What is the core motivation for such behavior?

This is par the course tho. And I'd say it speaks volumes about human nature.

That's because drama is free and easy to make.

I also blame the current state of our society. We've been conditioned to peel back the surface layer and look for deeper meaning like a desperate high school English teacher trying to connect the color of a wall to the protagonist's clinical depression. We tell ourselves that what we see isn't always it, and that there's always a deeper meaning, even though some things should very much be taken at face value. Some people also look for change as a confirmation in their suspicions, because you wouldn't change if you had "nothing to hide". Honestly, I think it ends up revealing the limits of other people's compassion, understanding, courage, and sometimes even love. I take it as a blessing if I better myself and someone outs themselves as an asshole with no effort on my part to do so!

On 3/7/2019 at 3:40 AM, Seimeisen said:

Why Instagram? Every post is just some shitpost quality screenshot of fucking twitter or YouTube. Just about every post is bitching about piracy (some lukewarm tea you got, "sis") and somehow trying to connect it to YouTube.

oh my god I wish someone could really explain this emergence of IG meme accounts with ppl posting stale twitter kiis

like tbh I never foresaw the beloved food&feet pic social network being reduced to this

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/03/08/vegan-pie-scoops-top-award-causes-outrage-among-culinary-elite/

"A vegan pie? Give me a break.

“The oldest culinary art form left in the world and the vegans have taken it away. It’s a disgrace.

“The millennials have taken over. 

“We should all just retire now" 

Extra extra, Milennials mercilessly destroy the heritage of pie baking, is there anything they'll spare from their shea butter smelling hands!

i officially give up on a life where you don't live on a giant spaceship in a deep space

my acquaintance got married recently, which of course made me think like "and here i am playing otome games and getting extremely excited of the fact kousei replied to my tweet". not that i don't have a life but well, facts are facts

but the irony is when i quit vk, gaming and other otaku things some years ago and was a more or less socially accepted person, i felt even more unsatisfied than now

just found out there is a flower which has the same name as i do!...and that in japanese flower language it means "solitude" orz

I can't stop noticing my main arm veins because I had to have my second blood test on Tuesday and she managed to get the needle right in the base of it (which isn't bad, don't worry... in fact, that's probably good). I know she did, because a) this one hurt a bit more than the first one, b) the bruise is big and blue as opposed to the first, which was small and yellow, and c) I can actually see where the bruise and the vein join up. It's really kinda creepy.

peak anxiety is you avoiding to open an important email for days in fear of what's inside thinking you're gonna freak out from the amount of work you're given only to realize almost a week later that's it's barely anything and you can be done with it all in less than an hour. if only my mind didn't jump straight to the worst possible outcome every single time smh

Edited by saishuu

On 3/11/2019 at 10:19 AM, violetchain said:

God, this one is funny on so many levels.

Before I get into it, random disclaimer: I have nothing against women, International Women's Day, or dedicating the entire month of March to women. Go women! Good vibes for females all around.

I feel really bad for that Ambrose dude, and for all guys that find themselves in a similar emotional predicament. A lot of the assumptions and caricatures we make about men like these are rooted in real insecurities. His hostile reaction to this picture really shows it off. The way I'm looking at it, he's not mad that women are getting actively praised and recognized as much as men aren't being actively praised and recognized. And the key word there is actively, which is why I put it in bold it three times.

What's happening globally doesn't always trickle down to the individual experience and this is a great example of that. While men are more privileged than women in many aspects of life, it is possible that this particular man isn't. He doesn't have the tools, the vocabulary, or the emotional maturity to reconcile what the world thinks he is versus what he really is, or how to express that to other people. All he sees is women being lifted up for being women, and wondering why he doesn't get the same treatment for being a man. Of course the reality is more complicated than that, but even a satellite sees at only one angle.

People responded to the post below him reminding him that men have their own day too, but does that really matter? That day doesn't get as much traction as International Women's Day and I can tell you that people weren't thanking me for being me on that day just because I'm a guy.  I can tell you that it's never been the case for my entire life. I think this really speaks to a lack of active and direct support for men in our society. I would bet 50 quid that this guy hasn't received a genuine hug or a compliment from anyone in years and it shows. He might be doing it to himself - he probably is doing it to himself in some ways - but what really matters on a surface level is what is and isn't coming together.

That's why I said actively was so important earlier; I feel like this society has a lot of implicit support for men but only if you meet certain criteria, and that's never really explained to anyone. This guy is lost and confused and there aren't a lot of socially acceptable avenues for him to describe his pain. I was there once too and that's how I recognize it. Active and implicit support is necessary for healthy human development. As a man I feel like I have a lot more opportunities in life, but I also feel like I'm left to figure more things out by myself. I bet his life experiences causes him to double down on his beliefs because according to him, this life is all he knows. I also bet this Twitter exchange gone viral caused a triple down too.  This attitude is what happens when you leave people to figure life out on their own and they come to answers the rest of us don't agree with. I was able to pull myself out of that quagmire, but I couldn't really describe to you how it was done.

Lies. I can and it's called LSD, but I don't recommend it to anyone lightly.

This is something I've been thinking about all month, and not out of a place of hate. Men aren't being petty because women are getting attention. Men are being petty because they are lost. I don't know what it feels like to be praised for being a man, but I do know what it feels like to be praised for being black, and that puts me in a really awkward middle ground where I'm in both groups simultaneously and I see both sides of it, and I understand how both sides are right. From talks with several male friends of mine, ranging from chads to dads, it's not that uncommon of a feeling. All these guys having so many insecurities in common is a bigger issue.

I hope that this November, someone can start a viral campaign for actively supporting healthy expressions of masculinity, to give a lot of guys like this a chance to work out their inner discord in a healthy and constructive manner.