zombie8mylunch

random thoughts thread

Hughley's analysis is on point. Imo feeble minds are too easily goaded into recreational outrage, but not only that - It's much easier to condemn others than it is to practice genuine empathy and understanding, as in doing so, you have to wrestle with the fact of your own flawed and fucked up human nature as well.

9 minutes ago, CAT5 said:

Hughley's analysis is on point. Imo feeble minds are too easily goaded into recreational outrage, but not only that - It's much easier to condemn others than it is to practice genuine empathy and understanding, as in doing so, you have to wrestle with the fact of your own flawed and fucked up human nature as well.

"We're fat because we eat too many sweets, and we're intellectually lazy because we like too much sweet talk."

QOTY

Decided to finally take out one of my lobe piercings and let it close. It's been a year and it still hadn't healed and I got so sick of the irritation bumps and pain and crusties and whatnot. All my other piercings have healed beautifully but this one's just been a total pain in the ass (or ear, actually...) the whole time. RIP dumb piercing, you won't be missed.

my grandmother wants me to go to university (keio of all places, lol).  I'm 26, haven't studied since I dropped out of first year of uni, and don't know what I would even study.  however I do see the benefits of having at least an undergraduate degree.  needless to say I'm stressed.

On 2/2/2019 at 1:04 PM, yomii said:

i drink vodka while watching vkei mvs with my friend for the second day in a row and i feel so blessed to have an irl friend who shares my interests

i want this vodka binge vk sharing life 

It's February and it's 20C in London, the highest ever temperature in British winter. As happy as I am about not having to deal with gloomy, cold weather I can't help but be a little terrified about environmental issues and the future 🙂

16 hours ago, platy said:

It's February and it's 20C in London, the highest ever temperature in British winter. As happy as I am about not having to deal with gloomy, cold weather I can't help but be a little terrified about environmental issues and the future 🙂

It's been 11ºC in the California bay area for the past two months. I envy you! As much as I love rain and all, I'm sick of the cold. Anyway, I checked my phone, don't worry, London will be back to 11ºC and pouring in another day

The newest on monochrome heaven’s official anxiety and depression thread:

I can’t hold thoughts for longer than a few seconds longer much less hold them in order to fashion any of them for use. This boat flows downstream at an agonising slow pace, like crawling towards not even the abyss but a soft and comfortable bed in some facility where the lights are never turned off. Normally I’d get into something really hard as I used to, but between working and talking to humans irl I just don’t have the time to fall into this psychosis, and instead I just drudge along. I’m not even excited about music or books or something since it’s not like I can say anything about them or nothing; juggling between finnish english and polish the words and sentences morph into an unrecogsinable jumble leaving me with nothing but the awareness about my bad posture, with my command of all languages getting worse by the hour. 

Next I’m going to move to the US illegally and either work and/or drink for so long that they can’t be bothered to kick me out after I’ve overstayed my visa. 

23 hours ago, platy said:

Norwich girl here, and I share your worry. First, the seasons seem like they're moving two months later (it properly snowed this time last year for the first time in about six years). Now, it seems like it's skipped spring completely and gone straight to summer. What the hell is going on!?

1 hour ago, Gesu said:

Norwich girl here, and I share your worry. First, the seasons seem like they're moving two months later (it properly snowed this time last year for the first time in about six years). Now, it seems like it's skipped spring completely and gone straight to summer. What the hell is going on!?

It's kind of terrifying lol We had heavy snow in March last year, in the south! Now I'm seeing bees and flowers everywhere in February. I wish it was summer everyday, but not in a country that's supposed to be cold. I really hope it's just a one off, but... 

Social media has become so toxic, especially for me, as I've been following certain personalities because I love their aesthetic, style, etc, which is only made possible by their sponsors. For the longest time, I've idolized these kinds of people, but lately I found myself getting jealous of what they wear and how they look in their daily life, and I found myself  yearning for the same thing in my boring life. Through these people, I felt pressured to actually stand out from the crowd and actually be a "real goth". However, this is the real world and I can't afford all that bullshit cuz I'm poor as fuck. Not to mention that popular brands - from goth clothes, accessories, lolita, you name it - are overpriced as fuck, and if I managed to buy it somehow, I'd only wear it once before letting it clog up my closet. So in the end, it's not worth it, and I shouldn't have to work myself to higher standards or try too hard to fit in. As a poor bitch, necessities are more important than achieving that *lewk*.

10 minutes ago, nekkichi said:

i... didn't know goth community is still alive (and being actively monetized off it seems)

I remember the good ol' days when goths were the weird kids of society and hated the shit out of preppy kids/normies. Now, in the age of social media where one can enjoy internet fame from literally doing nothing, goths are now just like everyone else. It's a shame.

3 hours ago, suji said:

I remember the good ol' days when goths were the weird kids of society and hated the shit out of preppy kids/normies.

well some things are never going away they are intrinsic to my nature at this moment x

I do get mildly confused with the way a supposedly introverted and socially isolated subculture got the typical IG sponsorship whoring treatment out of practically nowhere like we didn't even have a big goth act in the past 10 or 15 years in the west to accelerate that like wtf

4 hours ago, nekkichi said:

I do get mildly confused with the way a supposedly introverted and socially isolated subculture got the typical IG sponsorship whoring treatment out of practically nowhere like we didn't even have a big goth act in the past 10 or 15 years in the west to accelerate that like wtf

it really sucks dude, like makeup/MUAs are so big now that everyone's trying to capitalize on that for fame, including the so-called goths these days. they're just doing it because it sells 🤑🤑🤑💵💵💵

As someone who writes both professionally and for fun, it's always so painful to look at news articles on Twitter and see people making comments purely based on headlines. The fact that people don't even feel the need to click and skim the first paragraph before sharing their predictable, hyberbolic outrage just makes me feel so disappointed.

I've submitted a redelivery request three times with my post office and they keep not delivering my package and then saying they did. I've been home all three times they've tried to deliver it and not once did they knock on my door. So I'm like just give me my vkei, already!

12 minutes ago, platy said:

Why's Plastic Love playing at H&M? Is that genre mainstream now? 

ahh thats the song I wanted to sing at karaoke the other day!!  couldn't for the life of me recall the title/singer,  so thank you for prompting my memory.  will be singing next time💃

37 minutes ago, platy said:

Why's Plastic Love playing at H&M? Is that genre mainstream now? 

AESTHETIC 

But yea, I had no clue city pop was popular enough to be played in H&M. They have their in-store playlist here: 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0eeKZp7perkDfgJQt4pc6I 

...which seems to have quite the assortment of genres. I don't trouble myself going to malls as much as I used to, but my observations are that the internet has pretty much bled into real life at this point. I remember being shocked that Hollister was rick-rolling people in-store in '08/''09, but now Fortnite dances are like the new sign language to 10 year-olds...Everyone is getting old I suppose.

Edited by colorfuljinsei

think i might have to turn in assignments late or half-ass them just to catch up on my other assignments, this semester is getting too busy ughh

having lecture classes where you only have to do readings would be kinda nice right now

also, being a perfectionist sucks

Edited by plastic_rainbow

On 2/28/2019 at 6:25 AM, suji said:

I remember the good ol' days when goths were the weird kids of society and hated the shit out of preppy kids/normies. Now, in the age of social media where one can enjoy internet fame from literally doing nothing, goths are now just like everyone else. It's a shame.

I know I am going to open a big can of worms, but being active in the goth subculture for so many years and knowing people in the scene personally who have been part of this thing since the early 80s, I say the whole thing about gawf being a counter-culture misanthropic youth fashion trend is wrong and some cliché that the media came up with during the age of the Satanic Panic and ran with it.

It's been (and will always be) about the music and not so much the clothes or hating everyone (lol, most old wavers and goffs I know are so perky you'd think they are all untrve poseurs if you didn't knew any better). I know that's an argument many people do not like, because that means it takes more than heavy eyeliner and tacky shillstar clothes made in Bangladesh - such as actually liking some post-punk and goth music. And many people think they need that dreaded "G" label to prove how different they are from mainstream society and will fight tooth and nail that they "deserve" the label because of how they dress, which is something I don't get.

Also I have never met any of these people who wear 800 euros and more on their skin in the actual real life. These people primarily exist on the web, where they belong in the same bin with every other cancerous social media clown and influencer, or they walk around big festivals to get photographed (but never actually engage with anyone or pay attention to the music). I feel most of these "goff" people who are sponsor for some brand are just some regular alt chicks who realized that selling themselves as rebellious, edgy person makes them somehow different (and thus more authentic) than the hundred other people who do the same, but for some "normie" brand.  Then there are the few cases where people from the scene did become greedy and partake in this shit. But right now there is a nice backlash against it, so it#s not like everyone is okay with it. In fact, people have been arguing a long time that it#s not a fashion contest.

Most people at goth (and adjacent) events, club nights and concerts are piss poor or know to spend their money for more important things. If they wear that awful blunder then they usually buy it secondhand. And considering how the scene is slowly falling to gentrification, many don't even dress up anymore, and that's totally okay. It's only in web communities that people get so uptight and act like assholes. Which isn't so surprising, but that's also why I really recommend to get outside more and leave the internet for some time. Ever since I started to go out more again, meeting real people and reducing my online presence to a bare minimum, I have been much happier. 

Anyway, my stupid cents on this topic, since it seems to have made some big waves online. And I am glad it does. I think the same can and should be applied to any music scene, culture or just society in general; one doesn't need to worship some fucking brand to feel better about themselves and looks aren't everything. Sadly people give influencers way too much credit, even when they know that these people are paid by companies to sell their trash and will base their entire self worth on some criteria tailored by the folks that run good old capitalism. 

Edited by Ikna