zombie8mylunch

random thoughts thread

6 minutes ago, karai · ebi said:

I now understand @Aferni's post of listening to ピンクマリオネット on repeat 32487h times, can't believe I went so long without listening to this.

it's even worse on last fm, I listen to this song every day

The truly good shit is when you're told in the feedback given by the opponent for your thesis defense to include more references to academic sources in certain parts of your thesis and there just don't seem to be any that are directly relevant to what you're trying to say in those sections

You know those dreams where you dream about waking up in the room where you fell asleep and slowly realize something is off, so you pinch yourself or tell yourself to wake up to get out? I had a nap this morning after waking up early to finish my work, and I had like 9 of those in a row before I finally woke up for real. I've never had more than two in a row before, so it was absolutely terrifying.

Each time something was wrong with my fish tank, and when I woke up for real I was like "Wait, my fish tank isn't even in this apartment?!"

Guess I'm scared my fish are going to be dead when I get home...

6 hours ago, violetchain said:

You know those dreams where you dream about waking up in the room where you fell asleep and slowly realize something is off, so you pinch yourself or tell yourself to wake up to get out? I had a nap this morning after waking up early to finish my work, and I had like 9 of those in a row before I finally woke up for real. I've never had more than two in a row before, so it was absolutely terrifying.

Each time something was wrong with my fish tank, and when I woke up for real I was like "Wait, my fish tank isn't even in this apartment?!"

Guess I'm scared my fish are going to be dead when I get home...

Yeah this is especially fun when it's a neverending nightmare.

Had that happen. Once. Never again, please.

My week so far has been, go into work to find out someone has called off making me either pull a double shift or work extra hard to pick up the slack, then come home and drown my stress in vodka.

Almost in my third and final year of university, I finish second year in a month. I've just realised I'm in the totally wrong degree for my sudden change in career trajectory.

I'm studying broadcast journalism and I wanna work with animals, yet I feel like the doors are now shut on that. Plan B is do a masters degree in politics or broadcast journalism and ride the train to anywhere career wise

15 hours ago, TheZigzagoon said:

Almost in my third and final year of university, I finish second year in a month. I've just realised I'm in the totally wrong degree for my sudden change in career trajectory.

I'm studying broadcast journalism and I wanna work with animals, yet I feel like the doors are now shut on that. Plan B is do a masters degree in politics or broadcast journalism and ride the train to anywhere career wise

It's never too late for a career change, but it does require you to be more aware of the cost/benefit balancing act w/ education.

I was on the final stretch (a touch over a semester) to complete a 4 year GIS degree but had to come home b/c of health problems. Now I'm doing a 2 year web development program at a local community college before going back since that's what I really want to do now. (Lucky b/c both cross over)

If you want to work with animals (vaguely), I would suggest thinking about a 2-year (A.A.S) vet-tech program at a cc. It's less of a burden financially, and if you switched to a Vet. Studies or Biology B.S  you might be stuck taking a ton req. classes to compensate for the major. (less of a hassle if you change your mind in the near future+ less $$$ per class +  you can transfer some gen-ed credits.) 

If you really want to be a veterinarian 100% there's a lot more to think about w/ all the requirements and whatnot. It might be more worth it to stick around and change to a relevant 4 year degree.

Though that's really up to you and your adviser.

Additionally, I would caution you about pursuing a masters degree if you're not committed to the subject.  A Bachelors is really where it can be more "open-ended" career-wise, but 6 years is a lot to dedicate for "taking the train to anywhere". 

*I totally just assumed you're in the U.S. If not uhh it should be kinda similar o_O

Edited by colorfuljinsei

13 hours ago, colorfuljinsei said:

It's never too late for a career change, but it does require you to be more aware of the cost/benefit balancing act w/ education.

I was on the final stretch (a touch over a semester) to complete a 4 year GIS degree but had to come home b/c of health problems. Now I'm doing a 2 year web development program at a local community college before going back since that's what I really want to do now. (Lucky b/c both cross over)

If you want to work with animals (vaguely), I would suggest thinking about a 2-year (A.A.S) vet-tech program at a cc. It's less of a burden financially, and if you switched to a Vet. Studies or Biology B.S  you might be stuck taking a ton req. classes to compensate for the major. (less of a hassle if you change your mind in the near future+ less $$$ per class +  you can transfer some gen-ed credits.) 

If you really want to be a veterinarian 100% there's a lot more to think about w/ all the requirements and whatnot. It might be more worth it to stick around and change to a relevant 4 year degree.

Though that's really up to you and your adviser.

Additionally, I would caution you about pursuing a masters degree if you're not committed to the subject.  A Bachelors is really where it can be more "open-ended" career-wise, but 6 years is a lot to dedicate for "taking the train to anywhere". 

*I totally just assumed you're in the U.S. If not uhh it should be kinda similar o_O

Being in the UK the system seems to be very different, I can no longer take courses related to biology etc (to my knowledge) as I'm too old to do A levels or courses before university level, and those courses before university level aren't taken seriously by universities. Masters degrees are only a year long here which makes me think that it's probably a good option as a safety net 

10 minutes ago, TheZigzagoon said:

Being in the UK the system seems to be very different, I can no longer take courses related to biology etc (to my knowledge) as I'm too old to do A levels or courses before university level, and those courses before university level aren't taken seriously by universities. Masters degrees are only a year long here which makes me think that it's probably a good option as a safety net 

Ah, ok. I had that revelation last night that you might've been from a different country, lmao. ( initially thought you just completed 4 in 3 years)
Soo... Everything aside, if it's only a year long I would agree on it being a good safety net. 

It's unfortunate that you're stuck in a career path and have to deal w/ it T_T. 

Sorry for the confusion XD.

Edited by colorfuljinsei

On 5/3/2018 at 5:07 PM, TheZigzagoon said:

I'd like to know what too old means. I'm nearing my thirties and going for a long route to university - which means doing NC, then HNC and then uni. No one has told me I'm too old to roll on any of those courses. 

Thing is tho, you might not get financial support if you've already claimed some previously. But if you can support yourself with work (or sugar daddy), I don't think there are other restrictions. You might even get certain courses credited in your new field as you've done them in another already, so your time in uni shouldn't be that long.

Seeing@Lestat's signature reminded me to finally sit down and watch all 110 episodes of Legends of Galactic Heroes. It took me about a month... but worth it

43 minutes ago, meat said:

Seeing@Lestat's signature reminded me to finally sit down and watch all 110 episodes of Legends of Galactic Heroes. It took me about a month... but worth it

I'm glad you liked it! One of the best animated series ever made, or scrap that; one of the best series in general ever made. It's incredible.

On 5/13/2018 at 2:11 AM, violetchain said:

Seeing people write "sesh" as a short version of "session" makes me irrationally angry.

I feel you. I get unacceptably annoyed whenever I hear youth language like "stan, fam, lit" etc. 

2 hours ago, The Bread Wolf said:

I feel you. I get unacceptably annoyed whenever I hear youth language like "stan, fam, lit" etc. 

those must be some old-ass youths to be annoyed at, miss Breadwolf

eminem made stan a word back in 2000

Ever since they renamed the green tea latte at Starbucks to "matcha green tea latte" (w/ pre-sweetened powder) every single one comes out looking like some poor-ass lookin' algae nesquik concoction.  I know they can't use the shakers w/ it b/c sanitary/allergy reasons but damn, I'm sad.