Sign in to follow this  
sai

HIGH & MIGHTY COLOR - Re:ache

I though I'd review the last maxi-single by HIGH&MIGHTY COLOR. Although I've always preferred the stuff they made when Maki was still their vocalist, I still gave their new stuff a listen.

Re:ache - A ballad, as I expected. Honestly, it's really boring me. The vocals sound weak, unimpressive and uncreative. Like I said, I've always preferred Maki over Halca, but I won't brag about that here. The solo is good, but it sounds like I've heard it before. Certainly one of the worst songs I've heard by them. And this is supposed to be their final single? I still have hope for the b-sides. 4/10

night light parade - The male vocalist (can't really remember his name) kicks off immediately with his usual rapping (which I LOVE), but this time it sounded a bit disappointing. I'm not really enjoying the vocals. They are better than in the previous song though. They get better throughout the chorus, which is OK, but everything else is just boring me. Halca yelling "YEAH" in the background doesn't make it any better. Screaming was OK, but totally unnecessary, they didn't add anything to the song. 5/10

day dreaming - Nice bass in the beginning, and the intro sounds OK, perhaps a little weak, but still good. I've been hating on the vocals up until now, and I won't stop doing that for this song either. I don't know if this was also on their latest album (haven't listened it in ages) but her vocals sound really boring and uncreative. They get better throughout the song, but once you think she's going to give everything she's got, she doesn't. Solo was ok, but also rather disappointing. 5.5/10

RED (live) - Is this really live? It sounds like it's recorded. IF this is live, then Halca's vocals are way better live than on the albums. I never really liked this song from the start, but compared to the other songs on this single it's OK. I prefer the rapping and the screamo in this song compared to the other three. Screaming at the end was horrible though. I guess I'll give this one a 6.5/10

Overall rating: 5/10

As their last release I expected something much better. They really disappointed me, and I guess I won't be the only one who is disappointed. If they would've continued making stuff like this maybe it's better they disbanded. Condolences to the people who bought this.

Have to comment on what you said about RED. At first I thought I'd hear lots of screaming fans as the guitars started up but it sounds like a studio live (think of Dir en grey's Shokubeni (Shot in One Take) or HIGH and MIGHTY COLOR's Ichirin no Hana (Studio Live)). It really does sound like they messed with it though.

Otherwise, agreed with your entire review. It just wasn't good.

Re:ache - 6/10 The solo is really enjoyable IMO. Rest of the song is okay, not bad, but not great either. It's not impressive unfortunately.

Night Light Parade - 7/10 I dig the rapping here. Usually I'm not into rap but in H&MC's music they do it very well. Then the screaming, that's good too. Rest of the song, it's alright. But thanks to the rapping (and screaming) it's better than the previous song.

Day Dreaming - 7/10 Halca sounds best here, and again there's a nice guitar solo, and good screaming at the end. Just a good song.

Red (Live Ver.) - 7/10 This is not live at all? Just a slightly different version of Red. It's a good song, but I have no clue why it's called a live version. The ending would be something they only do at lives. But even that sounds like it's done in the studio. Very misleading title IMO.

Sign in to follow this