Sign in to follow this  
fitear1590

Signature Looks

SIGNATURE LOOKS

Though I listen to quite a few visual kei bands, I rarely give a hoot about their appearances. This is mostly because even though VK bands' looks are supposed to be so "unique," many groups really do look very similar. However, there are a few musicians I applaud for creating a signature look in the sea of generic-ness. Even if they don't often change their appearance too much, they have created something very easily identifiable as their own.

Post your favorite signature looks! It doesn't matter if they're from from strictly "visual kei" bands or from bands with a general visual aspect. Don't feel too limited to the bigger bands. Indie band members can have easily identifiable looks as well. I'll start with a few of my favorites.
Definitely popularized a new VK "archetype." I think Hizaki is probably this generation's Mana, in terms of the number of people who are convinced that he's actually a girl. Plus, you know he's made it when Hizaki-copycats pop up every now and then (ACTWEED, YOHIO, and Dear L'novel are a few that I can think of right now)
ImageImageImageImageImage

Takemasa (Kiryu)
The first image here of Takemasa might be my favorite VK look ever. He tends to be a bit "samey" in most of his looks (bright teal hair, cloth over his face, ridiculously decadent kimono and hairpiece), but he's definitely found a unique style. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here.
Takemasa2.jpgTakemasa3.jpg
Takemasa4.jpgTakemasa1.jpg
Takemasa5_zps2a7c290e.png

Hirata Panda (THE BOHEMIANS)
Not from a visual kei band, but Hirata Panda has a highly signature look. From the dark eye makeup (get it, "Panda"?), to the hats, and most importantly, some form of bright red jacket, you can definitely spot him from a mile away. Plus, he's taking cues from the U.K. indie groups, so he's got some of that arrogant swagger to top it off.

Shiina Mio (Canzel/ UNiTE.)
Shiina Mio is actually a pretty goofy looking guy without makeup (like many of these guys I'm sure), but he's definitely managed to create a signature look with the glasses, hair, and more recently the "scarfs" he wears over his chin, haha.

Takayuki (THE PIASS)
THE PIASS is somehow still around since the 90's, but Takayuki is the only remaining original member (he must be pretty old by now!) Either photoshop is treating him well or he still looks fairly young, because he still looks pretty good! A definite signature look I'd say, with all the red EVERYWHERE, the calculatedly haphazard outfits and the perfectly messy hair.

Shion (Rubik)
Shion has managed to create a weird signature look, whether through his fake horns, weird contact lenses, his "fangs," etc. He looks a bit silly sometimes, but I give him points for his ambition, haha.

Kei (Eliphas Levi)
Kei had one of my favorites looks of the kote-kei times. Let's face it, even back then, many bands had very similar looks (though a very different kind of "similar" than today), but Kei always stuck out, with his red hair and rose-bonnet thing (that is considered a bonnet, right?)
ImageImageImageImage

I'd add FULL (ex-GUNIW TOOLS/Nookicky, now in SHILFEE AND TULIPCOROBOCKLES/TAFUCA/OCQ) to the list. His outfits are really different from each other, but there is something in common in all of them. I'm talking about hats, really weird hats.

tumblr_ltz706BYnR1qi9kl3o1_500.jpgtumblr_lvseweExwk1r1ynk9o2_500.jpg

tumblr_ln0u46tKsc1qeywuoo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lqfo2k4gOA1qlghkwo1_500.png

tumblr_lkzsf417Xv1qi9kl3o1_500.jpg

tumblr_lk2vo1Zf4v1qi9kl3o1_400.jpg

I updated my post with a few extra pictures and I added 2 brand-new guys:

Hirata Panda (THE BOHEMIANS)

Takayuki (THE PIASS)

Post some of your favorite signature looks, MH-ers!

Sign in to follow this