Sign in to follow this  
daikirai69

Merry- Cry Against/Monochrome

Monochrome PV got a lot of hate when it first came out but I initially really enjoyed it and enjoy this single even more. The worst part of the criticism I find is the "they're going to Firewall and the new single is heavier so it must be they're turning into Dir en grey" or gazette(wtf?) argument. They sound nothing like these bands. Anyhow

The Cry Against... 9/10 Merry can pull this off! I wasn't sure if they could and this music is pretty great. Some people don't like Gara's screaming but I've always been a fan. But I'm someone who loved gekisei and I remember a lot of people hating that.

Monochrome 9,5/10 This one is a bit more Merry and love the melody.

The Cry Against... / Fleeting Prayer -ambivalence mix- 7/10 Well for being a jrock 'ambivalence mix' whatever those ever are it is not bad. Not something I'll listen to a lot but definitely not bad. It keeps my interest.

Overall 9/10

I agree with you on pretty much everything.

I found the fake-out second chorus on The Cry Against to be brilliant, and the entirety of Monochrome is pretty amazing as well.

8/10 for the single.

Merry is fuckin' back.
My thoughts exactly. I can't believe i was one of those " OMFG MERRY IS DAED " people when i heard the previews. Now, i pretty much love the whole single. The chorus on Cry Against is phenomenal and Monochrome is insane ( that acoustic interlude is fantastic ). If i have complain about something, it's that Cry against sounds a tad messy. I'm pretty sure it was meant to sound like that but... i could do with a bit cleaner sound.

9.25 easily

love it.

the chorus fakeout in The Cry Against is the coolest thing, Monochrome's a great-if-not-terribly-groundbreaking song, and even the remix is pretty enjoyable!

8.5/10 I guess I dunno I don't do NUMBERS

augh.

I found cry against to be mindless [and this is coming from someone that loved gekkisei, hah], but I found the re-mix to be a bit more endearing. I was hoping for much more after liking the sample, then again, my earbuds have started to suck, so that may be a deterrent.

I seem to like monochrome more than I did, which was quite a bit...

7/10.

The Cry Against is amazing, just amazing, could be improved at a few points on which the song is a bit too hectic, but overall it kicks ass. 9/10

Monochrome is insane. 10/10 There is just nothing wrong with the song at all. It blows me away, and is my favorite MERRY song so far. Perfect.

I'm in love with this single.

I LOVE IT! I LOVE IT SO MUCH! OLD MERRY IS BACK!

No really, this single sounds exactly like earlier work they have done and it is such a good sign. Very Modern garde-ish. I am a really happy man right now.

The cry against 9/10 - Very 'Japanese Modernist'. Lots of frantic screaming and out of place drumming. It's very fun and will be getting a lot of plays from me.

Monochrome 7/10 - Gorgeous. The chorus is amazing. Kind of bland but shows they have gone back to their roots.

I'm so happy to have Merry back. :]

The cry against's fake chorus was cool, other than that all the engrish kinda made me go ";u"

monochrome is... mweh. Alright, sounds like it could be any band though.

Remix sucked balls

At least they haven't entirely forgotten about their 'roots', seeing as they've actually played Skull, a new version of Shambara and that Unbalance Kinema thing live recently

No really, this single sounds exactly like earlier work they have done and it is such a good sign. Very Modern garde-ish. I am a really happy man right now.
What are you smoking? I want some.

Well I do enjoy both of the title tracks, it's Merry after all and I've come to the conclusion that they are unable to ever do anything bad. Way too much talent right there. And the choruses are very Merry. However, this does pale in comparison to say...everything on under-world. Way more stripped on composition, which I'm not too thrilled about. Monochrome sounds so much clearer productionwise than The Cry Against..., but then again it was mixed by Jens Bogren, so no surprise there. I wish he'd mixed both tracks.

I ADORE the remix so much. Fleeting Prayer sounds like a potential winner and I just like how the mix starts mellow and then the guitars kick in and then the shouting from The Cry Against... It's my favourite track, so D-kiku, whoever you are you get a gold star.

Best thing since Peep Show. Monochrome fucking owns. The guitars are simply genious. Chorus is great and has an awesome mood, perfect drumming, good basslines. I honestly wasn't expecting them to get good again, I'm glad they proved me wrong. Monochrome get's 10/10. Easily.

I've only listened the one on youtube and that version of Cry Against has a terrible quality, so it's kinda hard to say how it is. But so far, the only good part was the chorus. Not as good as Monochrome.

Saying this sounds like Dir en grey is the biggest insult ever. If they tried to sound like them, they did it atleast 9000 times better. Fucking ownage. Congratulations Merry, you no longer suck.

Merry never sucked

except for this and M.E.R.R.Y. at least

Honestly, the minimal hate on this single is really surprising.

under-world, M.E.R.R.Y., and all the other bullshit they had released really was...awful.

When I first heard Monochrome, I NEARLY SHIT MYSELF. It was so...refreshing. They're angry, and they're even more pissed off than they were when Modern Garde came out. Gara sounds better than ever, Nero's rhythm is undeniably on tempo, and thrashier than ever before. Yuu & Kenichi are rockin' out the jams, while Tetsu is almost completely inaudible (save for that bridge connecting the verses) . Other than that...9/10.

The Cry Against...well what? I'd like to know what the cry is against, because it's bitter, and angry. I was surprised at the fake out chorus, and simply having the song just END. It's simply put the most organized chaos I've heard this side of The Locust (look 'em up if you don't know who I'm talking about). I want more of this revisioned "MERRY". It makes me rather nostalgic, as I'm sure most of you think the same thing too. 10/10

The remix is cool too. I dig it. 9/10

It's simply put the most organized chaos I've heard this side of The Locust.
You, my friend, are the real deal.

i don't enjoy it.

I think it sucks.

Rough music and growls and all that shit, but emotionally vapid.

I don't understand how you can think that, but everyone's entitled to their opinion...

I forgot to add, that was directed for The Cry Against.

I just don't feel anything when/after listening to it.

not even memorable. When the song finished i was just like, "huh, just that?"

I love good music so I love this release, just like I love everything else they released. This is another sted to the right and further away from their old sound, but it still sounds Merry.

The remix is also amazing. Never really care for remixes but this one is really good.

9.5/10

i don't enjoy it.

I think it sucks.

Rough music and growls and all that shit, but emotionally vapid.

I'm new to merry and agree 100%, horrible music

Sign in to follow this