Yurameki

MERRY (f.k.a メリー)

On 2/23/2018 at 10:14 AM, meat said:

Gara recalls having to wake up at 4am to go shoot the PV and being told to dance so early in the morning. And he was surprised he managed it, apparently thanks to the female dancers. (edit: I just checked the PV again but didn't see any female dancers...)

The band argues about playing Gekisei live more often. It seems they all love it but find it too tiring to perform 15mins straight. Whilst the camera was showing a very sweaty topless Gara, he says the calorie burn count for singing this is very high at karaoke. And then I don’t remember how the conversation went but it ended up with someone saying they should all go to karaoke next time.

200.gif

On 2/23/2018 at 10:14 AM, meat said:

He also says that he sang this at his little sister’s wedding. The wedding organiser asked him to sing a song and Gara thought this is a suitable one since so many other Merry songs are about break ups. He sang live with a record of Yuu’s performance of the song.

omg?????? that is TOO CUTE ;w; ♥♥♥

giphy.gif

Sorry that it's taken me a while to go through the 6 Days DVD but I've finally written up some bits for disc 1 now.

Hair

Spoiler

The guys talked a lot about their hair throughout the disc. It seems both Nero and Yuu had “bouzu” (very short or bald) hair cut when they were small but Kenichi’s was long.

During the 6 Days Gara had been cutting his own hair bit by bit everyday and by the last day it was quite short. He says he personally likes his hair longish like on Day 1 but he doesn’t explain why he kept cutting it :P

Police

Spoiler

According to Gara, he used to drive the equipment back late at night and there were times when he’d get stopped by the police. And the police would think he’s a drug addict because he’s so thin, so they would question every single piece of equipment in the van. Nero says he had something similar where he was stopped 3 times on the same day. He couldn’t help it and told them not to judge people by their looks and go search someone else lol

Gendai Stoic Day

Spoiler

Binibon - The band says they didn’t really know what we were doing and weren’t really thinking. They doubt they can write a song like it again.

Bluesy Night - During the intro, the camera shows Nero with his mouth wide open. Nero: Why did I leave my mouth open like that? Yuu: Too excited? Nero: Shut up ^^

Hi no ataranai basho - Gara recalls that the band stayed overnight somewhere in Chiba together to hammer out this song. He confesses that he didn’t contribute anything, just had fun on the trip. Yuu says he remembers them all spending more time at the beach than writing the song. Apparently even the chorus, the “Woah!” part, took them a long time to complete. Nero recalls along with Yasashisa Kid and Japanese Modernist, the audience didn’t react at all in their first few gigs.

Modern Garde Day

Spoiler

This album represents lots of memories for the band. The guys talk a lot about Toujou (ex-editor in chief of Fool’s Mate who passed away in 2009). He was a friend of the band and supported them a lot in their early days. He apparently loved Modern Garde and visited the band on the first day of recording. Nero put towels on his drum kit at the end of the Modern Garde Day as a tribute to Toujou.

Gara took half a year off to write Modern Garde as he really thought about the band, its music and the album. Apparently he and Yuu used to live quite close to each other and he’d cycle over in the middle of the night to write the catchy parts together.

Kuroi Niji – Gara: “It’s easy to get into the mood when you got someone in mind to sing to.”

T.O.P. is not “top” but rather “tales of people” according to Gara.

Soshite tooi yume no mata yume - Yuu had Kaoru of DEG to listen to it after it was recorded. Kaoru told him to cherish the song, which meant the band doesn’t perform it very much.

nuChemical Rhetoric Day

Spoiler

Bara to katasumi no blues - The whole band says the nuChemical day had the best atmosphere and how the performance for Bara with the naked light bulb was especially good. Gara then says “Isn’t this thanks to me being the vocalist?” Someone scoffs and someone else went “Well…”

Karappona uta - Tetsu does not appear on much of the footage, so when the camera finally did a close up of him singing the intro, everyone bursts out laughing. I can’t quite explain why it is funny, you will just have to watch it for yourself ^^

I'm not comfortable with sharing the full details of what Nero said about the police because I couldn't catch every single word. But if you are willing to go along with my understanding, it is that he said something like this to the police officers: "Don't judge people by their looks! I know how this works, I've seen it on TV! Go arrest someone else! " LOL

My Japanese listening is not always that great but I am more than happy to translate Merry related stuff if there's anything anyone might want help with. Just PM me or send me an url.

Continuing my recent Merry binge, I'm currently reading "Gara Karute" ('Gara's Medical Record'). It is unexpectedly... funny! Would anyone care to read some translated excerpts? 

45 minutes ago, meat said:

Would anyone care to read some translated excerpts? 

yep that would be most welcome! it would be good content for the thread as well, while the band is keeping it low profile with new material announcements

4 hours ago, meat said:

Continuing my recent Merry binge, I'm currently reading "Gara Karute" ('Gara's Medical Record'). It is unexpectedly... funny! Would anyone care to read some translated excerpts? 

Please!! There was a blog on tumblr that posted translated chapters, but that died after chapter 3 so...:(

http://garakarte.tumblr.com

4 hours ago, suji said:

Please!! There was a blog on tumblr that posted translated chapters, but that died after chapter 3 so...:(

http://garakarte.tumblr.com

Ahh I didn't realise there's an excellent translation out there already (I should've googled harder!). Since it looks like an ongoing project, it won't be right for me to disrupt their work. Instead maybe I can post a summary of what happens in each of the untranslated chapter?

Just now, meat said:

Ahh I didn't realise there's an excellent translation out there already (I should've googled harder!). Since it looks like an ongoing project, it won't be right for me to disrupt their work. Instead maybe I can post a summary of what happens in each of the untranslated chapter?

Don't worry about it, there's more than one person translating their stuff anyways. The girl who ran the blog hasn't been around on tumblr recently, and she only translated like 1-2 songs out of M-ology....but it's up to you whether you wanna finish the job of translating the book or not.

Oh cool. Can you link me to the translation to M-ology? I am curious to know what others make out of Black Flag Symptom but have not been able to find anything in Japanese. 

I think instead of posting some half-arsed translations of Gara's book, I can translate some bits that may be overlooked when I come across them. Like this one:

MERRY 47 Prefecture Tour "System M-ology"~ Agitate #3 "Ideology" 

Thank you Maebashi Dyver. I am completely spent, can't get any more out of me... what an intense white hot space. Humid enough to make one choke... even just standing was difficult. Well done everyone for managing to stay standing till the end! You gave your all too, how wonderful! It's no lie to say that great bands have great fans. Thank you for a memorable gig. It's been a long time since I've seen moisture dripping from the ceiling. Gunma, no Gummers, you are the best! Tetsu said some passionate things at the end! Also, it's been a while since my mother came to see my gig, she kindly pointed out "Your drooling is disgusting. Is your mouth loose or something?" Mother, I am a perverted rock musician born from Gunma.

(The last hashtag) Er singing Sight Glass in front of my mother is overwhelming (laughs)

We love you you perverted rock musician from Gunma. And thank you to Gara mama! lol

お母さん、ボクが群馬が産んだ卑猥ロックミュージシャンです。

First time I read it, I thought it was a DEG lyric... *goes to listen Gara & Kyo duet of Mama*

On 12/03/2018 at 7:54 AM, Jigsaw9 said:

Thank you for all the translations, @meat =) 

It’s a pleasure to be able to share MERRY-ness with others! I just hope it is alright to translate and put my spin on so much stuff, as I am sure there’s loads more people whose Japanese is better than mine and would disagree with my interpretation.

If it’s alright, I did  just a little write up on a recent web TV interview with Gara.

https://freshlive.tv/bar_boo_friends/185971

My understanding is that Boo wanted to interview Die only but Die requested for Gara to join as well. I’m not going to go into too much details of what Die and Boo said because they are mainly DEG, X Japan, Ladies Room related. In general, Gara’s role on this show is being Die’s kouhai and reminiscent some stories from his roadie days.

Spoiler

When he was a roadie for DEG, it was the early days and the band didn’t have any professional roadies but they had Gara who was completely ignorant of musical instruments. He couldn’t tell apart the different guitars so his main job was to ferry equipment about. The only thing he could remember well was the placement of Shinya’s drum kit because Shinya would write lots of little notes to let him know how he prefers his kit to be assembled. Despite being a terribly ignorant roadie, he says none of the members have ever been cross with him and have always been incredibly kind, even when he got into a car accident with all the members in the car. Lol

Gara says he always looked forward to seeing DEG live and catching up with the guys but he dreaded going to their after show parties because they tend to be intense drinking sessions where loads of tequila shots will suddenly be brought out and he simply can’t drink so much. He recalls a time when Die, Toshiya and Inoue (DEG manager) were downing wine, they also ordered for him but he couldn’t keep drinking so much, so he went to a nearby convenience store and bought some grape juice to sneak into his wine glass and pretend he’s actually drinking wine along with everyone else. He never told any of the DEG guys until now because he was too scared! Apparently he also used the fact that he’s a vocalist as an excuse for not downing shots as they burn his throat and make me puke.

Another apologetic tale Gara can now share is about 3-4 years ago when he went to see DEG play at Budoukan. Apparently they were serving food in the corridor off the stage and Inoue caught Gara wolfing down a delicious burger and got very angry with him, “What the hell have you come here for?!” Poor little kouhai Gara didn’t realise that the band and everyone else were nervous and on edge ahead of a major Budoukan show and that the band was about to walk pass to go on stage, so he apologised for being so chillaxed. He says if it happens again, he’s gonna say Die told him it’s all right to do so. And Die jokes that if he sees Gara wolfing down food when he’s walking past, he’ll ask “Is it good?” ^^

At about 1hr 48mins, Die suddenly asks “Why did you quit?” Gara didn’t quite know how to respond but stared and says, “We are gonna talk about such old stuff now?” It turns out Gara was roadie for DEG for less than a year but it was during the intense period when DEG went major. Gara quit just before their show at Shibuya Koukaido.

Die talks about how he and Toshiya would go bowling together a lot especially when they are on tour but Gara confesses that Merry members don’t often hang out with each other. Even when they are on tour, each member would go out for food separately.

Gara says he often sings Ouyang Feifei songs at karaoke! Lol

Gara says he is about 174cm at 53kg and he eats the most in Merry.

At about 1hr 3mins in, watch Gara struggle to say NMNL for NoMerryNoLife and end up saying ‘numunuru’ ^^

8 hours ago, suji said:

I'm glad their album made you look good!

Listening to Merry makes everybody look good! ;)

Edited by meat

(Mods: please delete this post if it infringes on the rules, regulations, covenant, common sense, taste, or whatever)

Me again. I'm still on a Merry binge and am very excited to finally getting to watch the Nonsense Market -Final- DVD tonight after some pc problems.

It's such an excellent gig, just watching it got me excited.

And it seems I wasn't the only person to be excited  :shock:

Spoiler

mtBhuU0.jpg

I first thought I must have imagined it but it got worse and worse as the song goes on and he sang more and more off-key. Am I the only perv to notice this? lol

3 hours ago, meat said:

(Mods: please delete this post if it infringes on the rules, regulations, covenant, common sense, taste, or whatever)

tumblr_inline_ncg0qaLjWE1qhg0kw.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=4934915

19 minutes ago, suji said:

MERRY twoman with Arlequin in August im SHOOK

everyone is allowed to make a few bad decisions here and there

Damn, they played Shiver stuff! That's so cool. 結生 is usually embarrased whenever they bring that up, but I guess it's because it was something that happened such a long time ago.

I looove this so much ;w; I wish they would've performed 「××××ノ僕カラ君ヘ...」 too, but this is fine ^^

Wish After effect had a "revival" like this, but I know Gara loves Merry a lot more. ♥

(plus they had what, like 5 songs??)