Yurameki

MERRY (f.k.a メリー)

5 hours ago, dannemannen said:

New album is really disappointing.. didn't like even one new song... =( what happened to Merry? 

I'm with you on that one. Idk, I liked a few songs, but it felt really lackluster compared to Nonsense Market or their other albums...and I barely had any hype for it when it was announced. I really hope they put out better material later, but I honestly wasn't too crazy about M-ology....

i feel the exact opposite, after relistening to p much merry's entire discog in the past weeks i've come to feel like nonsense market may in fact be my least fav of theirs overall. it used to be m.e.r.r.y., but nowadays i've been warming up to it pretty hard. nonsense market has the highest amount of tracks i'd rather just skip than sit through as of now lol

Did they ever release a b-side compilation, by the way? I don't even have any of their older singles anymore for some reason and I'm too lazy to go around looking for them. ):

no babes, the closest to that they've released is an indie best-of 個性派ブレンドクラシック~OLDIES TRACKS~, but it's relatively modest on material (it's around ten songs, or so, in total.)

^ meh, shame. I already have 個性派ブレンドクラシック~OLDIES TRACKS~, guess I'll have to lurk Jpopsuki and get all their singles once again. lol

4 hours ago, Tokage said:

i feel the exact opposite, after relistening to p much merry's entire discog in the past weeks i've come to feel like nonsense market may in fact be my least fav of theirs overall. it used to be m.e.r.r.y., but nowadays i've been warming up to it pretty hard. nonsense market has the highest amount of tracks i'd rather just skip than sit through as of now lol

NO SMART was my favourite when it came out, and I still really enjoy it, but the thing is, whenever I listen to any of the tracks (minus a few), I usually skip them. I feel the tracks on the album only work together in sequence, like, I can only really enjoy all of the songs together as a unit. Except for 梟, I love that song with all my heart!

M.E.R.R.Y. and under-word share the spot for my current fave, and my least faves are Beautiful Freaks (all the singles were the high points) and M-OLOGIE (mainly because I hate Black flag symptom).

4 hours ago, saishuu said:

Did they ever release a b-side compilation, by the way? I don't even have any of their older singles anymore for some reason and I'm too lazy to go around looking for them. ):

They have enough material for two b-side compilations, they could totally do a 白い羊/黒い羊 thing like they did with their best-of album. I actually made two MERRY b-side mixtapes like that, where one has all the softer songs, and the other has the more heavy ones. The only song that didn't make either is that b-side on Happy life, 'cause I really can't stand that song.

It should be Pinku-iro no Seishun, closing track on Gendai Stoic

I love most of Merry's B-sides including all the ones already mentioned, but I really adore Makka na aoi haru... and ト・ロ・ケ・テ・ル. From the more recent ones (is 4 years ago recent?), I thought Waltz was a beautiful and underrated song.

As for the new album, I for one love it. I thought I liked Nonsense Market, but I like this one way more (or I've just overplayed the former). It feels more cohesive, the singles are better and blend in better, especially with the new version of Happy Life, and the new tracks are ridiculously entertaining to me. So many gems! And it's very punky and energetic, so basically exactly what I wanted. I also like that it's short, which is strange in a way, but I like the songs so much I want to replay them and there's nothing that feels like filler to get through before I can do that.

I also bought modern garde, you guys. Merry is slowly taking over my ipod, and I don't regret it one bit.

I started listening to nu chemical rhetoric  first and liked it a lot! I enjoy the different elements that they put into their songs. It's heavy, but it's also the perfect music to listen to on a rainy day (or so I've discovered.) The fifth song actually makes me want to go to a bar and sit there smoking a cigar haha ;) Also, I love the guitar in all of those songs.

4th and 8th track are my favourites so far (sorry, cannot read the kanji on my phone and am too lazy to google the song titles right now)

update: i gave m-ology another listen and i really like it *____________* especially 犬型真性MASOCHIST. i think i established this already, but it's probably my fave out of the whole album. other than that, it's not as bad as i thought it was at first, (altho it still doesn't slay as much as their previous albums) and i feel bad for dragging my babies...................🙇🙇🙇

idk With a band I love, I often dislike the new album at first listen because it's different than what I'm used to hearing. Once I get past that I usually love it! I didn't have that problem with this album though. I had it really, really bad with under-world though. 

I love these guys. What a fucking show today at 奈良NEVERLAND. ガラ and ネロ are just too fucking cool. 結生 is just the sweetest dude ever. 

And there’s more to come. See you tomorrow, guys. 

More to come :)

yesterday was amazing, yet again. Setlist was really cool. Seriously, go see MERRY at least once in your life. [human farm], T.O.P, バイオハレ、ジャパモダ、窓 (yea‼️)、躊躇いシャッフル (!!!)。And we got 2 extra songs because the crowd didn’t stop singing. We got Happy life and F.J.P twice. Which was cool because ガラ had technical problems with his mic during the first Happy life. He also forgot the lyrics to MASS CONTROL ( at 奈良, he forgot エムオロギー). Adorable. 

And MERRY’s fan base is friendly as fuck! Holy shit, those girls are amazing.

now, I’m off to Tokyo to catch them again with BAROQUE (yeahhh!!)

So far, nu chemical rhetoric is my favourite album. I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but I thought that while modern Garde is a great album, Gara’s voice had not yet been that refined. M.E.R.R.Y is an okay album, under-world is pretty good (human farm is an awesome song), Nonsense Market has a couple of great songs, but it seems a bit bland next to other merry albums. Still have to listen to peep show :)

Edited by AwesomeNyappy

Have you guys listened to MERRY's version of 家路 yet? And if you did, did you like it?

Personally, I really liked it. It's one of the highlights of the MUCC tribute album for me. That got me thinking that with all the stuff MERRY released in 2017, we finally have enough material for an entire MERRY album of covers from other artists. 

(chronologically)

2002 - Strength Beyond Strength

2007 - PRECIOUS...

2009 - 伊勢佐木町ブルース

2009 - 学生街の喫茶店

2010 - 皆殺しのメロディ

2010 - 新宿ナナ

2010 - オデッセイ・1985・SEX

2011 - Schweinの椅子

2012 - 悪の華

2017 - SO...

2017 - 家路

That's quite a lot! I think only MUCC got them beat for "official" studio version covers. At least as far as V系 bands go. There's also the debatable inclusion of シャ乱Q's 上・京・物・語, but that one doesn't count, right?

Anyway, which one is your favorite cover version? Which ones do you dislike?

Personally, I think it's reallyyyy hard to beat 伊勢佐木町ブルース, but I love 新宿ナナ and オデッセイ・1985・SEX.

The ones I'm not really hot about are Strength Beyond Strength and Schweinの椅子, and I think that's about it. MERRY usually does really well performing other people's songs. I kinda wish they did even more covers, MERRY almost always leave their personal mark and that's pretty cool. The next single could use a brand new b-side and another old-school cover.

I love what they did with Ieji! It really shows off what they can do and the acoustic bits are simply dreamy. I also love that song and think it's a great choice.

My favourite cover has to be オデッセイ・1985・SEX. Gara just slays that one, you can tell he was living his dream.