Yurameki

MERRY (f.k.a メリー)

Modern garde, Violet harenchi and Gekisei are Merry's masterpieces as far as I am concerned, with Modern garde being one of the very best VK albums of all time.

I'm not too fond of cover albums and shit, but the two cover songs on the Gekisei single are stunning and ever since that release I've always wanted to hear a full album with Merry playing that type of music, either a cover album or something original in that vein.

Edit: I actually forgot to add that I easily can recommend every single Merry album bar the last one which I haven't heard. I think all albums are fantastic, but Modern garde is just way, way ahead of theo thers. So there's that.

Edited by Bear

Anyone have any thoughts on the new album yet now that it's been out for three days?

i haven't been able to listen to it yet

but i also wanted to bring this up: certain ppl have been whining about Tetsu's neckbrace, but the moment he actually has it off, they're quiet all of a sudden???? what happened???? 🤔🤔🤔

also: where's the full pv????? it's been 3 days

I'm more broke than I expected and haven't ordered yet, so still going by the nico broadcast. I think I'll have a more visceral response to the album once I have it in decent quality, but anyway, let's do a track by track:

「M」World Order · Don't care about it one bit, but MERRY intros have always been hit or miss for me anyway.

MASS CONTROL · Love the melody in the verses. The thing is, I would enjoy the chorus so much more if I could be shouting along "tengoku harakiri" without turning the whole apartment building against me... I'm trying to say, I still think this is a better live song and majorly envy everyone who can go to MERRY concerts. But it's good anyway, sends me back to their old tracks.
犬型真性MASOCHIST · Gara's lyrics and Yuu's guitar make this one for me, not their best composition, but it's catchy and has been growing on me.
gaudy · Another one for the lives. I imagine I will listen to it when it comes up in the album, but won't ever specifically want to play it. Instrumental is on-point and everything, but that's the minimum I expect of MERRY anyway.

平日の女 -A面- · Still love it like the day it was released and think it's one of the best MERRY songs ever (certainly in recent years). Although I wonder if type B wouldn't fit the tone of the album better. But then again type A's instrumentation is so, so beautiful...
Black flag symptom · One of the most immediate songs on the album, reminds me of Identity a bit and I like it just as much.

傘と雨 · This one is rerecorded, right? Or am I just being delusional? Somehow it sounds more defiant now. Another gem in any case.
F.J.P · Nero!! This one is as if someone picked my brain and extracted the formula for the perfect song to get me hype. Guaranteed eternal replay.

Happy life –reprise- · Like the song, not impressed with the new recording.
SIGHT GLASS · This one's for the history books, the day ero-guro MERRY and female-point-of-view MERRY converged. And it's glorious as expected. Are you going to collab with cali-gari one day?

エムオロギー · Ah, what do I do with this one. It's trying so hard to be grand and anthemic, but it is so damn beautiful too. I think I'll love and cherish it.

So all in all, I am one happy fangirl - but I would be even happier if someone deposited a few hundred into my bank account. Anyone?

Edited by crossparallel

my copy finally came in the other day, & I finally gave the album a better listen. might take me a while to get used to it tho, but I thought Nonsense Market was better tbh

i liked every song, but I was really into 犬型真性MASOCHIST, FJP, Black flag symptom, & SIGHT GLASS (that's a given). i can't believe they rerecorded 傘と雨. the happy life rerecording fucking slays~

At what point did they even start this thing of re-recording the single tracks? I feel like they didn't do it on under-world yet, but some of the singles released in the period leading up to Nonsense Market def. sounded somewhat different on the album proper iirc. I cant remember if Beautiful Freaks also had singles that sounded different on the album

Edited by Tokage

They claim that the album versions of 閉ざされた楽園 and 冬のカスタネット are different from the single versions, but I don't notice any difference; so no re-recordings on under-world. What they should have done with 冬 though is use the instrumental version; it sounds great and would have been PERFECT after the long and epic 激声.

Beautiful Freaks has a re-recording of Identity, but I think The Cry Against ME was just remix with re-recorded vocals/drums; the other songs were unchanged.

As for NO SMART, 群青 had re-recorded drum and vocal tracks (but I think the guitar tracks were only remixed); ZERO and 梟 were unchanged.

I am glad that they re-recorded Happy life, since it's two years old now. I do find it strange that they changed 傘と雨, the most recent single, but left 平日の女, a song released an entire year before, completely untouched. And when I listened to the album, I could have sworn that 傘と雨 just had a new vocal track and everything else was just remixed... huh.

17 minutes ago, cthulhu said:

i'm still sad from that moment where they deleted the european tour : (

all thanks to an incompetent company. THEY need to be deleted.

full

4 minutes ago, sheepprincessgara said:

all thanks to an incompetent company. THEY need to be deleted.

full

absolutely yes.

in my country the company organized  the concert in a fucked up venue....basically far away from any town, in the middle of nowhere. i hope they are thinking about a new eu tour 

Just listened to it. Still too early to judge, but I love how short it is. 39 mins. The members mentioned in interviews that they thought their albums were getting too long, so they decided to go back to what they used to do in the first 2 or 3 albums. Short, but sweet. Good idea, MERRY. Good idea.

GOD FUCKIN' DAMMIT!!! I love Happy life with all my heart. That is all. Loved the new version, thought the superior one will always be the acoustic version.

I'm so mad at myself for getting into them a year after I've been to Tokyo....just saw modern garde for 1000 yen on the website of a shop I've been to...sigh. But I also found it in a anime/vk shop not far away from my hometown. It's 23 euros though. Whyyy.

But, on a brighter note (not for my bank account though), I finally bought M.E.R.R.Y, Nonsense Market, Peep Show, Under-world and nu chemical rhetoric! Except for nonesense market, they were all on sale for 8,95 :)))

I'm definitely planning on getting modern garde as well. 

I'll let you know what I think :)

On 18/09/2017 at 8:13 PM, r... said:

GOD FUCKIN' DAMMIT!!! I love Happy life with all my heart. That is all. Loved the new version, thought the superior one will always be the acoustic version.

Happy life is BY FAR my favorite song they've released in years. The singles this latest album cycle were all really strong too.

On 9/19/2017 at 1:48 AM, sheepprincessgara said:

ah that's why....shame though, I love longer albums.

same here

I really enjoyed this one overall, and I appreciate that it doesn't really have any truly bland filler, but I kicked 平日の女 -A面- out early, and without it the album really comes and goes way too fast.

I really want it to have an extra song or two, to me it feels lacking a climax point somewhere (PWUSSY UNDERSHOOKdT!!!!!), and finishes really swift,  エムオロギー does not bring any real closure to the record tbh.

Edited by nekkichi

エムオロギー , the song, would be better without the awkward middle part where ガラ sings the title a couple of times. I hate that part. And the fake record scratches, too. I do like all the other parts of the song. It reminds a little bit of 木漏れ日が僕を探してる…

Favorite songs so far: 犬型真性MASOCHIST (love it. It's the kind of song I wish it would stay on their set list for years to come); SIGHT GLASS (a MERRY song for the ages. brilliant stuff); Black flag symptom (健一 , dude!)  and, of course, Happy life –reprise – (better than the single version, still not better than the acoustic one).

Fav B-sides:

- Omohide Sunset

- Charlie
 - montage

Also, shoutout to Midnight Shangrila, one of my all-time fav punky MERRY songs (even though it's technically not a B-side, but it was on like a rly limited single).

Edited by Jigsaw9