Yurameki

MERRY (f.k.a メリー)

& this is like the 1 vk band i'd actually be prepared to even travel to another country for.... FUCKING B7KLAN REEEE

If and only if "another country" includes Japan, we're set. But yeah, back when this was a thing I was seriously planning traveling 2 x 25+ hours by bus to see them (because I didn't have the money for a flight). Guess nah xD

btw I just realized.....when the hell are they gonna have a Super Merries pamphlet??? a Super Merries themed official lewk?? I legit wanna see them more often ;A;

Merry was one of those bands that I always knew were around but never actively listened to. Since I was looking for a new japanese band to listen to, I finally checked out their stuff, and I have to say...they're absolutely brilliant! I listened to some of their songs on youtube and really got into it. So my question to you is: are there any albums that you can specifically recommend? I'm actually thinking about buying at least one, if I can find some cheap second hand stuff.

9 minutes ago, AwesomeNyappy said:

Merry was one of those bands that I always knew were around but never actively listened to. Since I was looking for a new japanese band to listen to, I finally checked out their stuff, and I have to say...they're absolutely brilliant! I listened to some of their songs on youtube and really got into it. So my question to you is: are there any albums that you can specifically recommend? I'm actually thinking about buying at least one, if I can find some cheap second hand stuff.

That's awesome to hear! I highly recommend M.E.R.R.Y & Gendai Stoic! They also have a new album coming out in 2 wks called M-ology (エムオロギー)!! 

4 minutes ago, sheepprincessgara said:

That's awesome to hear! I highly recommend M.E.R.R.Y & Gendai Stoic! They also have a new album coming out in 2 wks called M-ology (エムオロギー)!! 

Thank you! Oh, how exciting! I hate discovering new bands to then realise that a) they've broken up or b ) their next album might take a couple of years, so I'm really happy to hear that :)

I just found Gendai stoic for around 20 euros on amazon....mhhh....;) Also, I'll be in Berlin in three weeks, so I'll be sure to browse NeoTokyo there for some Merry records.

Do you know on which album "Gunjou" is on? Somehow it's hard to find tracklists for their albums....or I'm just too stupid to find them.

7 minutes ago, AwesomeNyappy said:

Thank you! Oh, how exciting! I hate discovering new bands to then realise that a) they've broken up or b ) their next album might take a couple of years, so I'm really happy to hear that :)

I just found Gendai stoic for around 20 euros on amazon....mhhh....;) Also, I'll be in Berlin in three weeks, so I'll be sure to browse NeoTokyo there for some Merry records.

Do you know on which album "Gunjou" is on? Somehow it's hard to find tracklists for their albums....or I'm just too stupid to find them.

Thank gawd MERRY is still around~*~*~*~

Gunjou is on NOnSense MARkeT; this version is different from the single. ✨ u can find their discog at their website, http://merryweb.jp/discography

YES. I hope they'll still rock on when they're old JRock grandpas ;)

awww...I'm facepalming myself so hard right now for not having thought about looking up their website. Thanks!

@AwesomeNyappyAww, another fan! You may be happy to learn they released four of their albums (Nu-chemical Rhetoric, Peep Show, M.E.R.R.Y. and under-world) in Europe, you can still get them for pretty cheap, for example dodax.com stocks them and ships them for free. You really can't go wrong with MERRY, all their albums are good <3

Edited by crossparallel

13 minutes ago, crossparallel said:

@AwesomeNyappyAww, another fan! You may be happy to learn they released four of their albums (Nu-chemical Rhetoric, Peep Show, M.E.R.R.Y. and under-world) in Europe, you can still get them for pretty cheap, for example dodax.co.uk stocks them and ships them for free. You really can't go wrong with MERRY, all their albums are good <3

Whaaaaat? Thanks for telling me about their releases in Europe, I did not know that! Fortunately, shipping from the UK costs the same as when you order sth in Germany, so I could order them over amazon uk as well.

....just looked them up, and they're all less than £ 10 :)

Edit: neotokyo Germany has most of the EU releases on sale for 8 €....:D Merry albums, here I come :D

Edited by AwesomeNyappy

Gendai Stoic, Modern Garde & that compilation album of old re-rec'd tracks are probably their 3 best releases to start with IMO. All three contain some of the band's best work, with Modern Garde standing out as their best release overall imo. Under-world is interesting as well because it really emphasizes their punk angle.

Thanks for your recommendations!

These are the records I can get for little money: nu Chemical Rhetoric, M.E.R.R.Y, Peep Show, -under-world.

Any one of those that I should avoid/ are not worth buying?

I hope I'll also be able to get one of those that you guys recommended, though. I've listened to some of these on youtube, and I liked them very much.

Edited by AwesomeNyappy

Out of those four, I'd say M.E.R.R.Y. is my least favorite... It's still a good album tho, definitely leagues beyond what some other VK bands are churning out these days, but I've simply listened to the other three much, much more. The singles released during the M.E.R.R.Y. era all had some pretty fucking solid b-side tracks though, be sure to look for them if you can. 

In fact, now that I think about it - how cool would it be if Merry actually released some sort of b-side compilation album? I'd dig it.

The same goes for the early days of An Cafe. They had so many great b-side songs, most of them better than the songs on their albums. Some bands do actually release a b-side album (Rammstein did it for instance...but then again, you probably don't know them).

From what I've listened so far, I'm pretty sure I'd dig a Merry b-side album as well :D

Here's their discography in flac  (more or less, a few mp3 files here and there too for releases I couldn't find when I compiled it; I should work to update it some day). Shamelessly stolen from whoever uploaded these to jpopsuki and rutracker, credit and eternal gratitude be to them. Of course, I'd encourage you to buy the albums, but I know I at least don't have the money for every single. By the way, seconding Tokage's recommendations. (Only I tend to like M.E.R.R.Y. a bit more than Nu-chemical Rhetoric, do check the early albums though!)

Edited by crossparallel

Jap, I don't have the money either. University student life and all that. I will certainly buy one or two albums, though, because I really enjoy brwosing through booklets and all that (idk why, maybe I'm a bit old fashioned.) I'm just a CD and DVD person, have always been. Downloads are tempting, but I always try to purchase as many albums as possible :)