Sign in to follow this  
Ito

The Best Song by "BAND NAME HERE"

This thread is an attempt to get us talking intelligently about music we love AND to have fun with it.

So what's going on in this thread?

Pick one (or more) your favorite band(s). They need to have more than a handful of songs to really make this fun, so don't pick a band with only like three singles or one album. The more the band has out, the more fun this is. Now pick your absolute favorite song by that band. You can only pick one. No, not the one that represents the band the most, but the one that is your personal favorite.

Now that you have that, tell us why? Not because it is cool, not because it is heavy. This might require something thinking on your part, but spend some time with it. Ask yourself why you enjoy it so much. Do you have a favorite part of the song? Is it the tone of the guitar? Is it the drum pattern? Specific riff?

The goal is to really have you think about that song. If your post didn't take you that long to write, go back and try again. If your post didn't take you at least several minutes to do, you aren't doing it right. I look forward to reading some really interesting stuff. Keep it to Jmusic too, btw.

Here's mine for example:

Band: D'espairsRay

Song: in vain

Why?: The overall reason why I love this song is that is just pumps me up more than any other song than I own. I am a skater and a skier, and sometimes I find myself trying something new that really scares me. I grab my ipod and throw on this song and let myself get juiced. More times that not I feel like it gives me that extra little bit of badass to try something I really could hurt myself on if I screw up.

Now a bit more in depth. The intro is what sounds like some sort of slightly distorted string instrument is almost like a calm before the storm, it sometimes even gives me goosebumps. Then the electronic percussion kicks in, bring up the pace of the song. Then the super chunky guitar kicks in, then the drum kit, then what sounds like distorted vocals and the song is in full swing.

Hizumi is really what makes this song for me. In the calmer bits, his vocals almost seem to exude insanity. They are calmer, but it feels like he is just fighting to hold back his screams....and then he lets go and and the energy is just immense. The screams are amazingly harsh, and that's it, that's all I need...the second that he goes from singing to screaming, I have that extra adrenaline I need.

But what really gets me going is at about 2:55 the song slows down...this weird "alien like" synth comes in and Hizumi starts talking, and then it starts to build up, the guitar comes back and with each line, his vocals become more and more rough until he is screaming. That build up just gets me pumped up every time. Even now as I sit here listening to it I can't help but get excited and start headbanging in my seat. It is the pure energy that this song has that makes me love it so much. Sure, there are faster and heavier song, but I don't know of any other song that seems to build up so amazingly. D'espairsRay has plenty of great song, some that are arguably a lot more interesting that this one, but none have ever managed to be as fierce as this one, and for that reason "in vain" will always be a guilty pleasure. My only disappointment is never being able to hear it live.

I'll try my hand at this one:

Band: Dir en grey

Song: MACABRE —揚羽ノ羽三ノ夢ハ二蛹一—

Why?: This is the song that both redefined my taste in music to include more Japanese music and metal in general as well as containing structure so varied and good that even ten years later I still listen to it. Even though Dir en grey is one of my favorite bands of all time, every album contains both very good songs and very shit songs. The atmosphere, progression and scope of MACABRE makes the rest of the album pale in comparison.

Dir en grey have created "epics" after this such as Vinushka and Diabolos but nothing gets to the level that this song does. The last two that I've mentioned overstay their welcome and feel like five-minute songs that were stretched out to ten minutes long. MACABRE feels like it needed to be ten minutes long to convey all of it's feelings and emotions. Plus, MACABRE is that one song that highlights (almost) every member in the band. The atmosphere at around seven minutes where Toshiya shines is enough to send shivers up anyone's spine and is one of the two high points of the album. The second would be the insane drum rolls at about five minutes that are just suffocating and all around awesome. I actually have trouble telling Die and Kaoru's parts apart but there's so much guitar work I can attribute the excellence to both of them equally. I don't feel like MACABRE highlights Kyo much because the greatest parts of the song are when he isn't singing, but Kyo does his part equally as well. He just fails to rise above.

This song should be within the top five Dir en grey songs ever composed. It's what makes MACABRE one of their best albums even to this day. It's hideously underrated, overlooked by old and new fans alike and offers so much in one listen that I would suggest everyone listen to it twice if it weren't so damn long. Too many people whore Vinushka and Diabolos without hearing what they're failing to re-create, and that would be this. If you're a Dir en grey fan and you haven't heard this song...I can't consider you a Dir en grey fan. Seriously.

Band: Number Girl

Song: Trampoline Girl

Why?: Narrowing down my favorite Number Girl song was easier said than done; it ended up being a matter of simply following my heart. Out of all the highly definitive tracks in their collection, I strongly cling to a little known track from the SAPPUKEI album. I believe the primary reason "Trampoline Girl" is my favorite song is because of its nostalgic value. Hearing it's addictive, bouncy, youthful rhythm now brings back memories of many early mornings spent riding back and forth to my high school. The possible cold and disturbing interpretation of its lyrics aside, "Trampoline Girl" is an unfailing instant pick-me-up.

Musical aspects that strike me include the strong melodic quality of Inazawa's drums. Its synchronicity with the guitar and bass work together to create a harmonizing wall of sonic power. It is difficult to be listening to this song and not experience a momentary numb and hypnotizing sensation. Through the chaos pervading the song, Hisako plays a catchy, pop-sounding melody. It is like a children's playground song on steroids. Mukai's simple voice chiming in a midst the blast of noise adds to this effect. His screaming portions in the bridge is instant added fuel to my adrenaline.

Lyrically, "Trampoline Girl" appears (in my opinion) to have a very morbid underlying message, stripping away its innocent appearance and exposing some of Mukai's typical dark irony. Reading translations, I've always interpreted it to be alluding to suicide - it seems as if the "jumping girl" in the song is referring to Japanese student suicide incidents but knowing many indie bands it could also mean absolutely nothing. Even within this context, I still use the song as a means of lightening my mood and improving my day. However, its separate dimension of meaning is still worth my appreciation.

Band: Girugamesh

Song: Having betrayed is why

Why? : Well this was extremly hard because just about every girugamesh song before Music(and some alot from music on just not as much as in those days.) This song contains so much raw emotion and raw talent of the giru boys back in those days, after hearing this song I new they would be something big. The opening piano solo contains a melody like no other, at very start of

this song I can already fell an overwhelming state of sadness. As Satoshi's quiet almost cried vocals I can fell the negativity that he is expressing, he continues to sing in this cried haunting way until the chorus then he begins screaming chills go throgh my body I can now fell all of his emotion sadness I could cry with him.

He begins to sing again I fell for him I can understand why he fell betrayed and questiins his betrayer. All of this brings back so many memories this is why I know his pain it goes though me to. Nii's guitar solo begins it grinds straight though all of the

Emotion to get revenge and temporaily uplifts the mood, then Satoshi let's out one enormous scream, then the guitar continues with Satoshi screaming in the back ground. Now finally Satoshi begins more melodic singing with sung backing vocal the mood is more positive. Satoshi has gained vengence against his betrayer and screams in victory.

The only part I don't like is the ringing at very end of th song that gets gradually louder then the song ends.

Band: BUCK-TICK

Song: Sid Vicious ON THE BEACH

Why?: Well I guess you could say this isn't exactly your typical B-T song, lol. First up, it has this laid-back but kinda old-school punk-rock vibe juxtaposed with modern electronics. Secondly, it's Imai (one of the guitarists) who's singing it for the most part. xD Plus, the live version always starts out with a kinda surf-y guitar solo that makes you feel like you're on the beach just chillin' out, then BAM! the song starts in similar high spirits. Imai's filtered and echoing vocals evoke a kinda drugged feeling, very spacey and zoned-out. The music just flows along fluidly with this feeling, exploding into a simplistic but effective group-singalong chorus. I love the heavy beats and base of the whole song too, it contrasts nicely with the guitars' and vocals' floaty atmosphere. Also, what I love about Imai is his voice: you can just tell that he's aware of his bad singing voice and doesn't give a crap about it, lol. That's why I'm disappointed most times I hear this song live, because they put a playback track on his vocals almost every time (at least on gigs filmed for DVDs)...oh well, it's good fun anyway. By the way, I like how B-T's love of Endo Michirou shines through a bit here, a line of the lyrics referencing one of his lyrics (B-T started out as a The Stalin cover band, so it's no big surprise).

Guest Magatsu

Band: Calmando Qual

Song: Untitled [Charity Song]

Why?: This song, really touch your heart, it's an beautiful song, who has been written in only a few hours. You can feel the pain in the song, but also the power to feel better and keep going on. you cry with a smile!

People who like the old CQ will really like this song. it has nothing to do with horror style.

It's a song who you really love if you are a fan of this band and maybe if you never ever checked this band.

This song also proves that this band make great songs. Always good tune, always great guitar. always great bass always nice drum!

It really doesn't need much more words.

Please listen to the song.

nA0LINh3Yes

(Hibiki & Tak only)

Band: MoNoLith

Song: AQUARIUM

Why?: One of the best rock/pop infused VK songs I've ever heard. Good god that chorus stays in my head for days and even weeks! The rough, growling vocals and verses juxtaposes gorgeously with the clear vocals that helps the really pop influenced chorus blossom against an otherwise typical VK song. It's a kick ass tune as well as being beautiful because of its conflicting structure and clearly opposing sides. With crystal clear vocals (that really makes the whole look/PV absolutely splendid, let me tell you) and wonderfully polished harsh shrieks, it's your typical VK dish but with that always appreciated softer side of synth trickles as its chorus. I have yet to hear such an impressive VK song that excels at this mixture so perfectly. It's one of my favourite VK songs, and that's been so for a while now. It's instantly memorable, and it's always a song I keep in the back of my mind to run back to for more. 

Reviving this thread.

Band: Dead End

Song: Beyond the Reincarnation

Dead End has alot of great songs, but over the years this one has really stood out to me.  Compared to Dead End's other songs, this is in the middle of the spectrum between soft and heavy.  The song has an especially nice bass line that sends shivers down my spine.  The lyrics themselves are very nice too, I think Morrie really poured his heart into this one.  To me the song screams loneliness and desolation.  As the song progresses there's quite a nice solo that is very slick, and it's not too fast or slow. I personally think it's the perfect cadence and length and it seams perfectly back into the main chorus of the song.  All in all, I think it is an extremely well thought out song, all the pieces fit together, and it conveys it's message very well.  Truly a masterpiece, I think I will be coming back to it for my entire life.  I especially love to listen to it while I'm walking alone at night, it's like my night time pub crawling theme. ;)

Edited by Atreides

Sign in to follow this