Sign in to follow this  
ShanethVarosa

NoGoD - Kakera

Brief review from me to start things off, I'll go into more detail later, but for now:

It's a very nice album, without too many if any really low points and I don't think there are any songs I would deem "completely unlistenable." I'm thinking, for me, the lowest point might be... Nagusami no Sora and the highest point is Shinzou. Overall I'll give it an 8/10 for the first listen, with potential to get better.

My main concern is: Will I remember any of these sogns 6 hours from now?

So far I like it (2 songs and the intro only listened), the second one is like Zesshoku, but I didn't like the drumming, everything else it's very solid and NoGoDish.

Track 10 is the highlight of this album, I wanted a badass instrumental ):

Done listening, too many ballads and slow songs, and not so many good solos. 7/10

its diffrent this album its softer hehehe

but i like this album!

and the next one will be a badass album ^_~

if i would rate ist i gave a 8,5/10

This must be said: in comparison to other VK albums, Kakera continues to uphold the NoGoD tradition of beating the shit out of their "music". In comparison to Gokusaishiki and Mugenkyo, this album fails.

Polemic review now:

One word describes most of this album: BORING!. I love NoGoD to pieces, don't get me wrong. My name is based off the best track of Gokusaishiki. What they need to stop doing is being NeoGoD: basically trying to experiment and explore every fucking genre of music. I'm all up for experimentation but for these guys it just does not work. Ever. Rashinban has this same exact problem. The EP was split right down the middle: half badass rocking tracks that would melt your face off with the pure force of NoGoD, and then the other three tracks that sound like NeoGoD just put in a fresh tampon and felt bliss. No.

I'm not even against upbeat, poppy tracks. Shukufuku no Uta and Shirasagi did it right way back when. Here, it's just missing the NoGoD spark that sets everything over the top. First off, fuck that :39 second intro at the beginning. NoGoD hasn't done one of those since Kanna Fukyou and doesn't need to do it again. Just start off with Shinzou, which sounds like Zesshoku except worse because the band was trying too hard to be harsh instead of just letting the melodies flow. Perhaps if it weren't so cookie-cutter we'd have a winner.

Akaki hi no Chikai was pretty groovin. Less forced than the previous track but also slightly less harsh. Don't care too much about that. It has the NoGoD flavor mixed with their new affinity for more melodic portions and it works. If the rest of the album was like this Kakera would have been brilliant.

But it isn't.

Shounen to Chizu is boring as all hell. It's so Hakoniwa/Hakujitsu Sakujitsu-ish. It's nice sounding but goes nowhere and does nothing and falls flat. What they see in this song I do not know. Nagusami no Sora is even worse. These plodding ballads/mid-tempo pieces with no emotion do not work. What needs to be said though is that for the most part, while this song doesn't grab me the way it needs to, there's a portion around the last 1:25 of the song where it picks up and reminds me a bit of Kinshi Suzume to the point where it's not a complete waste of time.

Rouyoku is experimental but that beginning is just not good. Why am I halfway through the album of a METAL band and only the second and third tracks were relatively metal? No. NeoGoD needs to cut this shit out. Thank god it's short.

kimi ga kureta shiawase to kimi ni sasagu namida also has the distinction of being the most atmosphereless instrumental they've done. Does not get the lingering hope vibe of Kono Ame no Mukou ni and does not even scratch the surface of Aozora. Too standard, doesn't even end properly. Skip.

Kakusei - the good single that sets this album back onto more familiar territory. Does everything right and sounds like NoGoD and not some generic band. Why is this one of the best on the album? REALLY?

kajitsu wa warau is another one of those mid-tempo rockers that does something right actually! I enjoyed this a lot more than I did a lot of other tracks in this vein. This would have worked much better if the rest of this album didn't sound very similar to this (will get to at end). A definite listen because it somewhat sounds like NoGoD.

Pause - Disbelief. That's what I call this track. Fucking best thing on this album hands down. Sounds like the bigger brother of Ring-a Ring-o. THE REST OF THE ALBUM NEEDS TO BE ON THIS LEVEL. Really sounds like the only song they spent a reasonable amount of time on.

kimi ni okuru itsudemo kienai uta reminds me a lot of kimi ni okuru bukiyou de migattena shi, not only in name but because they generally employ the same style. this sounds much more mature and refined however. If the rest of the album didn't sound like a worse version of this this too would have worked.

Ai is just too much of the same really. Nice bonus track, much better than Yumemi Shoujo for sure, but neither one of them end off the album the same way Yume did, and that's a shame. Reminds me a bit of Kalmia except it doesn't sound completely cracked up on coffee. More restrained, more proper. I knew coming in this wasn't going to be a rough number but still...too much of the album sounded like this.

Positives: there was no Ano hi no Sora wa Gokusai de. Holy fucking shit that song was boring. Even if everything sounded too mid-tempo for me to enjoy this thoroughly nothing was so rock bottom shit boring that I fell asleep half-way thorugh.

- there was nothing extremely horrible in general. It just sounds like they played it way too safe and did it because they knew it'd work and not because they wanted to. Don't they understand that they hardly ever make bad music when they're sticking to what they know best?

Bad: too much mid-tempo-ness. Why is it that so many tracks on this album start out with one guitar plucking strings in a lonely fashion? You couldn't break my face open with a mid-tempo song that actually ROCKS? You couldn't find another way to start off a slower song? What about some more acoustic strumming leading into some electric goodness, like Rinne Tenshou? It does sound like they are trying to appeal to a bigger crowd and this I have no problem with - what I have the problem with is that they're trying to forget that they're a metal band but then have II-Kaigi shitting over everything else on this album! You just can't fool me for 9 tracks, turn around throw that in my face and go back to doing the same shit for the rest of the album! YOU'RE GOOD AT THAT STAY WITH IT MAN!

Overall, decent album. Perhaps even great album. It's just their worst so far. I'd keep it though. Potential to be a massive grower.

Wow, you're fast! I was planning to start the topic, but I see that won't be necessary. Also, I'm pretty new to NoGoD, the only song I've ever heard by them was Kakusei, and I really enjoyed that one.

?? - Just an intro, but a rather good one in my opinion, it also fits the track after that. 9/10

?? - The screamo was okay, heard better. It's a good starter, and it's really growing on me throughout the song. Good solo also, but the drumming could've been a bit more creative in my opinion. Not a bad track at all. Dancho's voice (that's the guy's name right?) sounds really great in this song. 8.5/10

?????? - The intro sounds really good! The first thing I noticed was the excellent drumming. Better than in the previous song in my opinion. Chorus is nicely sang, also with the background voices, though I have to say that it bores me only just a little. I think I'm starting to love NoGoD's guitarists, they are really good! Still there is one thing in this song that bores me a little, like I said before. Still a very decent track. 7.5/10. Ah f*ck that. 8/10 because the guitars are so utterly amazing.

????? - Heard this one before (saw the PV), and honestly said I didn't like the preview at all. After hearing the full version I liked it though. It's a kind of slower track, no ballad. Normally slower tracks have to be really good to impress me (when it comes to ballads I think nothing can beat Chizuru, Serenade and Utakata). It's also calms me down, what I also like in some tracks. Also, it's definite. The lead guitarist is now added to my list with favorites guitarists. 8/10

???? - Another slower track, though slower than the previous one. The parts with only the vocals and the guitar is kind of boring to me, but when the other instruments set in it suddenly gets alot better. A part with only guitar and vocals can be really good, but you shouldn't make it as long as in this song. Actually I don't like the vocals throughout most of the song. Solo is amazing, once again. These guys know how to play guitar. It's not a horrible track, but nothing special. It could've been sung better, that's for sure (other notes for example). The ending is really good though, I love the backing vocals. 7/10

?? - No intro, vocals start immediately. It's only 2:34. Not that it's a shame, the track isn't really standing out so far. The chorus kind of reminds me of Kakusei, which is a good song. But I think that it shouldn't have been longer than 2:34. It's good as it is. Don't really like the ending. 6.5/10

????????????? - Wtf, that beginning really could've fit in a Phil Collins song XD. It's an instrumental track. Thank god. It would've been really boring and repetitive if this was another slow track. Personally I think this should've been an up-tempo instrumental track, it's not boring me. It sounds like an everlasting guitar solo in a ballad. It's OK I guess, not my favorite instrumental track. The extra half for the excellent guitar works. 7,5/10

???? - I already liked this on the single version. What an amazingly good intro. This is definitely one of my favorites on this album. Great solo, great vocals, everything feels good. On the first listen I thought it was kind of boring because I thought 1 part was the chorus when it wasn't XD. Anyway, I have nothing more to say about it. 10/10

????? - Don't really like the beginning riff. Though when you think the song really starts it doesn't, that really caught me off guard. It's kind of boring me, but I like it more after the chorus. Strong vocals, nice solo, once again. Great drums. Dancho's really singing the chorus with all his heart, it has alot of emotion in it. It's a really special song, I'll give you that. 8/10

II-?? - Nice guitar in the beginning. I guess this will be a heavier track? The little rapping sounded great. The guitar and synth (if I heard it right) sound really great too. It kind of reminds me of a song I heard before, though not sure which one. Oh man, why did it have to be such a slow and boring chorus while everything before was so good? And then it's up tempo again. Those are really the best parts. The guitar parts could've easily been played by Hizaki, if you couldn't keep the bands apart. I'm not saying Hizaki is the best Japanese guitarist, but he certainly comes close. Apart from the slow chorus: amazing track: 8.5/10

?????????????? - This really could've been an anime ending theme in my opinion. It kind of reminds me of Matenrou Opera's Genesis and D's Hamon. Only less good. Up until now they made to many slow tracks, and the ones that weren't slow were either really good or just "meh". It's nothing special, I only listened half of it, it kind of bored me. The reason this one gets a 6 is because the solo saves it, though it is the worst solo on the album. 6/10

?? - Decent. Kind of makes me happy. It's a good way to end the album after all the "slowness". It's a summer song, it makes me happy that I have holidays. 8/10.

Overall: 8/10. This is a really good album, with some really good tracks on it. Too bad it's got too many slow tracks. But overall, a good album.

Yeahhh I didn't have anything to do this morning, so I started the topic really early, haha. I'm on my second listen through, so I' going to write a track by track... probably on my livejournal when I get home from work tonight, then copy and paste it here.

@Phones666 think if this is your first experience with NoGoD other than Kakusei (which you liked) you are BOUND to like the full album. The band has so much talent that it'skind of hard to say bad things about them, because their songs are good, but they become boring and repetitive after a while if they aren't God damn perfect (like Zesshoku, Aozora, Atria, Maboroshi, Saikou no Sekai, and Kono Sekai ni Mihana Saretemo.)

I would like to ask the opinions of those who knew the band for a while: Rank the instrumental tracks from each album.

For me:

Aozora > kimi ga kureta shiawase to kimi ni sasagu namida > Kono Ame no Mukou ni

But I did enjoy them all.

Eh, I was about 3 tracks in, thinking it was gonna be brilliant, but it did slowly deteriorate into a fairly poppy mess*. Kakusei and II-?? <- that song saved the second half. The latter of which I agree, was quite like a Ring-a Ring-o sequel or something. The album, on the whole, isn't terrible, but I always feel like they make their harder songs a lot more interesting than other bands, and since there weren't really that many on this, it sort of fell flat and they didn't groove (ohhhh yeah) with the softer songs.

Also, only like ONE song with proper harsh vocals? Lame, NoGoD. Lame.

*No, I'm not saying poppiness is what's bad, you picky idiots.

Can't review it yet, gotta give it some more listens, but I am enjoying it. It is my first full album from them, I only had the Indies collection, and Mr. Heaven was the only I really liked. Safe to say that II-?? is my preferred.

Kay my official review from my LJ. Got it done sooner than expected.

Okay, I would like to start off by saying that anyone and everyone who has been saying that this album can not compare to previous albums, and that this album has too many mid-tempo tracks is totally right. When you put this up against Mugenkyou and Gokusaishiki... it just doesn't compare, it sounds like it's not even NoGoD who did the album. The only similar thing is that Danchou's voice is completely unmistakable and that II-Kaigi is amazing, but I'll get to that later. Overall, however, the album was very good and very pleasurable to listen to, so it gets an overall rating of 9/10 as long as you try to force the thought of this being NoGoD out of your head. I'm doing this review after my second listen through, so it's more accurate, and less bullshit.

1. Kodou - Just an intro, this is the first time they've put a specific introduction on an album and I genuinely do not approve of them ever doing this again. More music, less filler. 1/10

2. Shinzou - Okay this is the way to actually start off an album. It had a VERY Zesshoku feel to it, with the intense screams to start the song off, followed by beautiful melodic voices and guitars throught just about the rest of it. Zesshoku being one of NoGoD songs I deem "perfect" I may have to throw this one in to the "perfect" category as well. People have been commnting that the drums are off. I just don't hear it. 10/10

3. Akaki hi no Chikai - This song... I did not like at first, but it grew on me on the first listen and I full on love it at the second listen. Not much to say other than it's just a really good song they did really well. 9/10

4. Shounen to Chizu - *sigh* Here's where the album starts to... let's say... drop off. It's the first mid-tempo, guitars-tuned-up-rather-than-down song on the album and it's good. Not great. Not too memorable when put up against other NoGoD mid-tempo songs *coughshirasagiscough* but it IS good. It IS an enjoyable song. I'll give it an 8/10, with the understanding that songs like this... you can't have 4 and 5 of them, it has to be just 1. Maybe two. Otherwise a whole album can be reduced to shit.

5. Nagusami no Sora - Ugh. Here's how I honestly feel about this song: WHEN. WILL. IT. BE. OVER? The worst part about this song? The melodies are FANTASTIC. The lyrics (from what I can actually interpret) are GORGEOUS, then what's the problem? The length. And I have this problem with a lot of good JRock ballads, they're good! Great even! But the fact that it just feels like it drags on forever and that it's going nowhere really makes me disappointed. Versailles 10.5 minute "God Palace" passes in less time than this song, if you catch my drift. I really want to like it, which is why I rated it 4/5 on iTunes, but it's really only like a 7 or 7.5 out of 10 on the 1-10 scale. Meh, I'm very disappointed in this song.

6. Rouyoku - Conversely, this song was extremely short. Not even 3 minutes total. Good thing? I think so. It was kind of another Shounen to Chizu to me, mid-tempo pop/rock sounding song with not much too it. Just a song. Filler, kind of. Ending just cut off. Didn't impress me much. 6/10

7. Kimi ga Kureta Shiawase to Kimi ni Sasagu Namida - Anyone else notice how the instrumental songs are always track 7? Anyway, I digress. This one is ok. I don't think they're ever going to do another instrumental track that was as good as Aozora, so I may as well just give up hope. I liked this song a lot, I think it's kind of on an even playing field with Kono Ame no Mukou ni in that it was emotional. Made me feel things, rather than just head bangin' fun, but not something I can listen to over and over again. Still, quite good. 8/10

8. Kakusei - Didn't impress me first or second listen on the single, kind of impressed me on first and second listen on the album. I definitely find it... better than Shounen to Chizu, but not by much. Where shounen to chizu is an 8/10, this one is an 8.5... Better beginning and better instrumentals... similar voice. 8.5/10

9. Kajitsu wa Warau - This song is an interesting one. Mellow verses that have more tha just drum and bass in the background... That annoys me... when a verse has nothing but drum and bass in the background. It's like. Put some more power behind it. I thought this was a very powerful song, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Choruses were PHENOMENAL. 9/10

10. II-Kaigi - Honestly, the only thing I can say about this song (Other than it's Ring-a Ring-o part 2) is that it's just perfect. a 6 minute song that passed in less time than the 5 minute Nagusami no Sora. 10/10

11. Kimi ni Okuru Itsumademo Kienai Uta - This... is a good closing song. In comparison to Ano hi no Sora wa Gokusai de (that dragged on FOREVER), this song wrapped up in a succinct amount of time and had some catchy melodies and other things going on. 9/10

12. Ai - The bonus track on the regular edition. I think it's a good song, another very good song. Nice, melodic, fun, made me feel happy, not completely remarkable, but not bad at all. 8/10

I expected more.. Will come back with a more detailed review later but let me say one thing: There simply arent enough memorable choruses in the songs :( Also i dont get the ano hi no sora ha gokusai de bashing, that song is one of my absolute favourites ever. So damn beautiful and great lyrics.

@ShanethVarosa, are their any previous albums I should check out? I don't mind the screams, I listen alot of heavy stuff

So, this is my short-ish review.

Kodou - An okay intro, I don't have much to say about it.

Shinzou - I thought it was a little bit forgettable the first time I listened to it, but it's actually a really good song with great riffs. I love Danchou's screams here. 8/10.

Akaki Hi no Chikai - Not a bad song, but it's really forgettable and not very catchy. Besides, it's really hard to remember what it sounds like, and it seems a little generic to me. 6/10.

Shounen to Chizu - I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be. It's clearly not the best song on the album but it's not horribly awful either. I really liked the intro, so I'll give it a 7/10.

Nagasumi no Sora - For some reason, the file appears to be corrupted :/ I'll give it a listen and review it later.

Rouyoku - An average song, it didn't stand out that much though. And I'm glad it wasn't that long, because it would've made the song boring. I especially liked the guitar riffs and the bassline. 6/10.

Kimi ga Kureta Shiawase to Kimi ni Sasagu Namida - I tend to hate instrumental tracks, but this is an exception. The intro, which is probably the best part of the song, is amazing. I was really impressed by it. I'll give it a 7/10.

Kakusei - Obviously one of my favorite songs off the new album. It's catchy, and it's actually a good song. I don't have much more to say about it. 8.5/10.

Kajitsu wa Warau - Pretty boring song. I didn't like it much, even though it gets better after a minute has passed. It's a typical generic album filler imo. 5/10.

II-Kaigi - This is definitely the highlight and the best song. It's powerful and amazing, and the intro is BRILLIANT! Danchou's voice is great, and the guitar solo's fucking amazing too. Basically everything just fits perfectly together. 9/10.

Kimi ni Okuru Itsumademo Kienai Uta - Pretty good and enjoyable song. I can tell it's one of these songs that grow on you after listening to it a few times. And according to what I've heard Danchou sing, the lyrics are pretty sweet. I give it a 7/10.

Ai - Same as Kimi ni Okuru, it's an enjoyable song, even though it doesn't stand out at all. I liked it better than some other tracks, so it's pretty good and above average for being just an extra song imo. I give it a 6.5/10.

Overall - It's not a bad album, though it's nowhere as good as their previous two, especially Gokusaishiki. I personally don't think that NoGoD will be able to put out an album as good as it, even though they're major and better-produced now. But I like the direction in which they're heading, so I'm not disappointed at all. I wasn't expecting this album to be that great or mind-blowing either, so I guess that I was pretty much expecting an above average-ish album, which is what Kakera is imo. As a score, I give it a 7/10.

Mugenkyo.
This. If you don't listen to this you're missing out BIG TIME.

However, I'm very partial to Gokusaishiki. It's one of my favorite albums ever.

Mugenkyo.
This. If you don't listen to this you're missing out BIG TIME.

However, I'm very partial to Gokusaishiki. It's one of my favorite albums ever.

Yeah, but you are missing a lot of singles and songs, you should start with Ten, Tenbatsu Enban and Atria, then the best single in history of music Batsu, and then Mugenkyou and Gokusaishiki, 'cause you need to hear the pre-Shinno era, and the craziest and mind destroying screams of Shuukyou Ongaku, wich I think they should remake... Oh, don't forget Sakura

I haven't listened to a lot of pre-Mugenkyou music. I do know that Batsu and Atria are AMAZING singles and need to be checked out. Everything else Cielito mentioned is strictly his recommendation, but I will need to check them out too.

Also, only like ONE song with proper harsh vocals? Lame, NoGoD. Lame.
Why the hell would he waste his talent on that? He's not even that good at it and it sounds like they're full of effects anyway.

I'm too lazy to do a proper review. And I don't remember what song is what, because of kanjis. But the first few songs were excellent. Even the intro is something you wanna listen to more than once. Last two tracks weren't that great. Everything in between is good to average.

this album is indeed softer than their other previous releases.

But i find myself really enjoy this album,

there is a ballad song that just not make it, maybe the lowest point of this album for me.

But the rest was decent to awesome.

I enjoyed their second/album promo single, it sounded so light and catchy.

I wish Danchou to have a vocal courses next time he going to take mid tempo ballad, cos there's certain parts on some songs that he had to belt out high chords but wasn't executed properly.

The verdict, this Major debut has set a good welcome from me. With their new name, without that Kanji stuffs, seems like trying to introduce a new light for this band. I enjoyed it, it's surprising but nice to hear a singing Danchou more than the screaming one.

Will look forward to their next acts!

Sign in to follow this