Sign in to follow this  
SUBLIMINAL

required: help with probable virus

So this has only been a recent problem. It happened a day after I got internet at my new apartment sooner than I'd anticipated, although I doubt that's to blame. Basically, my computer lags more than it usually does. I had a virus named Virtumonde that ate all my memory previously, gave me hundreds of pop ups and would never let me use google, but I rebooted and reinstalled Windows to get rid of it, so I don't think it's that one come back to haunt me because Spyware S&D picked it up last time and now it says there are no threats whatsoever.

However, I'm getting the same pop ups, regardless of whether I have my browser open or not, that lead me to websites I can't exit. I have to shut the browser down via Windows processes. When I google something, I get redirected to one of these pages as well. Sometimes it will let me browse normally, but in particular when I google computer tech problems or for help with this problem, it refuses to let me view the page. Spyware Doctor found three threats, all of them adware, but I "fixed" them and it never picked them up again.

I've moved everything important to an external hard drive just in case my computer is infected with malware or something and I'm prepared to reboot, since that's the easy option, if I can find my Windows install discs, but until then... could anyone help me figure out how to get rid of it? I'm guessing it's a Google redirect virus, but obviously I can't access websites on how to kill the damned thing when I get redirected elsewhere.

Help? :(

I had a virus like that once, though not quite that bad. It was a pretty involved process to remove. I'm going to suggest that you go to the geekstogo forum and they'll help you remove it.

I think I had this about half a year ago (Virtuamonde, getting redirected from Google etc.) It was the first time I really got a serious virus, but it was really nasty business. I didn't really got rid of it, despite using several antivir and Spyware programmes. Basically, I just bought a new computer.

Well, not really. Concidentally I was planning on buying a new one anyway, because the other one was old and slow, so in the end that solved my problem at the same time. I just saved my important data, and retired the old HD, which in all likelyhood still has the virus.

But maybe by now antivirus programmes have found a way to get rid of that plague... Have you tried actual antivirus programmes (not Anti-Ad/Spyware-programmes)? If not, try something like Avira of AVG, they're free, but still good. (I used AVG back then, and it didn't really remove all of the virus, so maybe you should try Avira first.)

If nothing else helps, I guess you will have to format and reinstall windows.

If I had a name I'd be able to fish up precise removal instructions. There are literally hundreds of viruses that do the same thing though...

If it's Vundo I can help actually. Try this:

http://vundofix.atribune.org/

Normal Usage for Removal:

"Download VundoFix" to your desktop.

* Double-click VundoFix.exe to run it.

* When VundoFix opens, click the Scan for Vundo button.

* Once it's done scanning, click the Remove Vundo button.

* You will receive a prompt asking if you want to remove the files, click YES

* Once you click yes, your desktop will go blank as it starts removing Vundo.

* When completed, it will prompt that it will reboot your computer, click OK.

*****Note: It is possible that VundoFix encountered a file it could not remove.*****

In this case, VundoFix will attempt run on reboot, simply follow the above instructions starting from "Click

the Scan for Vundo button." when VundoFix appears at reboot.

If you encounter a variant of Vundo that VundoFix does not detect or cannot remove please let us know on our forum located at http://www.atribune.org/forums/ in the HijackThis and Malware Removal section. The forum staff is always happy to help with removal of Vundo and other malware as well.

Sign in to follow this