Sign in to follow this  
Takadanobabaalien

Which band offers the best bass solo

cali≠gari's Murai Kenjirou is an animal on the bass. No other Japanese musicians come to mind at the moment.

9jICdj4IwgM

(see from around 2:58, omg)

lsu3KJjOxZE

(whole song is awesome bass-wise, but especially from 2:16)

cali≠gari's Murai Kenjirou is an animal on the bass.

Indeed, he is really great bass guitarist!

My faverotie bass guitarist is Setsuna from Metis Gretel, he has really badass solos *o*

I also love:

Kubobryu from Uchoten

Coa from Dhalis / Lonlon from Jackman

Hyoga from Megaromania

Syun from XI ~ sai ~

Mei from DOGinThe PWO

Marry from COLOR

I have to post this even though I don't like the band I will show that much anymore

BGJbtEyu2Fw

Around 5:18

upVadTPfZtQ

8:25-->?

Oh well, there are way too many awesome bass-wise solos/parts in vk-related music

Cali-gari's awesome when it comes to bass solos

Perhaps Versailles and D are too? (the former one is sure, since Masashi seems to solo even more than his *master*)

/note mainstream J-vk musics

btw, is it really necessary to post ONLY J-related bands here?

Yo from Matenrou Opera has to be one of the most talented bassist in the VKei scene. I love the bass line in nearly every song of Matenrou Opera.

L-G3QFlJzME

:52-1:40

Dat bass tapping. And then

wCwcZzXFXdk

Bass shredding at 7:28-7:45.

I like Aggy's part in "Hybrid Truth," but that isn't really a solo. Same goes for "The Farthest."

Madeth Gray'll's "Parasite" is pretty much all bass, so I guess that counts as well.

Matenrou Opera has an instrumental song with a really pretty bass solo...I think it's "Suna no Tsuki."

I feel ashamed knowing a topic talking Bass solo in J-Music

and not include Tetsuya Ogawa (Tetsu) from L'Arc~En~Ciel in the discussion!

Seriously he is like one of the most skilled and one of the best bassist in J-Music!

DPQ_lqF9paE

5Q4MDyu5_rw

vAQSWPwIMH8

OLObESlwzXk

SDHsrWa5ZZs

sblT-f_CDOc

Shame on me, totally forgot Hitoki!! (Kuroyume, Creature Creature support, etc)

Check out the first 3 minutes:

3EYHHova67Y

(the bass/drum duets of today's modern VK bands are nowhere near this stuff)

^ damnit Jigsaw, I forgot him too :D

Xp_XMPnwGvg

:DUUR: dat bass riff

9FTyN8pFH3I

YYDK4j2k-sI

/fanboy mode off

Btw, Mucc's and A9's bassists (with their solos and basslines) are worth mentioning too!

Mucc's bassist (with his solos and basslines) is worth mentioning too!

FUCK YES.

Libra. And anything pre-Kuchiki no tou Enough said.

^ OMG right, how could I forget J??

Here's his newer bass/drum session playing, he played this in Bochum too on their world tour... I thought I was going to die from all the awesomeness. :rawk:

lh0MFYDb7FU

Well, concerning solos say:

- Natsuki (DuelJewel)

- Saga (Alice Nine.)

- Tsunehito (D)

- ShuU (Girugamesh)

- That guy from Kra

- Ni~ya (Nightmare)

- Aki (SID)

- Reika (D=OUT)

Good, thread! I also enjoy hearing bass solos made by bands.

I'm getting pumped up with Maximum the Hormone's Uehara Futoshi song (9th track on Rokkinpo Goroshi) Also, maybe it's not a solo, I just get addicted to "Hab'it" by Mad Capsule Markets! The bass slapping sounds extremely awesome over there! :D

I'll be sure to edit my post, when I'll remind myself sth else.

Right now only Dir en grey come to my mind...how can I forget the bass solo in the song "Cage"?

Sorry dudes, but as a bassist myself, I am obliged to disapprove of LUNA SEA's J. As much as I love LUNA SEA, J's stuff isn't good for learning new/advanced techniques AT ALL, and that's because he has NONE of it (-_-) I don't have much respect for him as a bassist because, aside from pretty consistent & precise fast picking (which I do appreciate, because you need that kind of stamina to play live), the rest of the stuff he plays are unimaginative and require pretty low-level skills.

L'arc's Tetsu, I can appreciate because it does takes some skills, and his lines are colorful & interesting. But he mostly just runs up & down the same scale over & over again.

cali=gari's Kenjirou, now that I can really agree with. This guy has his shit down, he's a frickin tapping, slapping, plucking, sliding, hammering machine down to the subtle stuff you can't even really catch with normal ears. Do I even need to describe it?

I'm actually a Moran fan largely for being a fan of the bass (Zill). I might have overmentioned it, but I really think that his style is quite different and he plays unpredictable riffs with some pretty complex scale/harmony manipulation & modulations (of course based on the chord progression of the songs themselves, but hey, he composed many of them). Maybe you can't really call all of them solos (although they sound really loud during instrumental parts in the recordings), but the ornamentation he does are fricking smooth & creative. Listen carefully to「目下の泥濘」,「ハーメルン」, and 「カクタス亜科」 because they're pretty mind-blowing. True, he's a picker, and I'm a plucker, but I still can learn a lot even just from his choice of notes.

Also, although I don't find him as original, I give major props to ex-Sugar's Shingo, because he's a really fast & precise at playing with fingers. Trying to play "afterglow" at the right tempo still gives me finger cramps. He's pretty much doing it by the Jaco Pastorius school of funk bass playing.

But really a major reason why I listen to VK is because of the interesting bassists. There are a lot of bands with interesting bassists, or at least interesting bass moments, and often the best bassists are the ones who aren't as showy or obvious about riffing & soloing (because some obvious riffs are actually really simple). Like, how often do people rave about MALICE MIZER's Yuki being a good bassist? But even if you just listen to MM's pop stuff like "Gardenia" or "Au Revoir", his riffs are obviously melodic & awesome and are actually pretty challenging to play.

Btw, since someone mentioned Dir en grey, I have to admit I don't know their whole discography, but "Ash" has the coolest bass lines of all the Diru songs that I know of.

When it comes to Dir en grey, I liked their bass work best when their bassist Toshiya learned to fuse J-ish speed/dynamicity and Hitoki-ish variety (w/e) together and use it for good: a case in point would be the bassline off Berry:

eU-sLHmDCrE

I CHALLENGE YOU TO PLAY THAT BASSLINE FLAWLESSLY, AND WITHOUT YOUR FINGERS GETTING KILLED IN EXHAUSTION

Something went wrong when Toshiya later favored more of a Fieldy-ish approach in bass playing, a.k.a. "SPROINK TACK TACK SPROINK TACK TACK"-type of slapping + low volumed, minimized plucking.

I would have brought up Taiji too but I find his liking for bass shreds a bit excessive/tasteless - bass is a rhythm instrument after all...

In addition to everything, Mad Caps have some sort of boring basslines (you know, nu metal/digital hardcore these days doesn't have good, dynamic basswork) AND MTH's bassist would have been better if he learned to incorporate his own ways with influences, instead of constantly emulating Flea without even trying to sound somewhat...unique.

Sign in to follow this