Sign in to follow this  
Pretsy

[2011.08.31] the GazettE - REMEMBER THE URGE (maxi-single)

Every Gazette thread is filled with pathetic brainfarts and total waste of space and time. You can't come to a forum like this and expect intelligent conversation. I understand that some people don't like Gazette, but bashing them has become some kind of status-game. The more you hate them, the cooler you are. The same thing happened in Batsu. I was one of them, but I pulled my head out of my ass, and realised that this band is actually good at what they do. Even though they don't re-invent music on every fucking release. I don't even expect that, because I'm not a retarded troll. 90% of all bands are generic and some bands never even try to do anything new. Like pretty much EVERY respected legend out there. But when Gazette does it, it's wrong. Hatin' Gazette is so 2005. Grow the fuck up and get a life and atleast TRY to make a review that doesn't make you sound like someone let a fucking ameba use a computer.

I really think these one/two sentence reviews really need to go. And i don't give two shits about if it's filled with hate/bashing or blind praise. As long as it gives some reasons on why you think this release is this or that. They don't have to be novels or anything, just maybe a sentence or two per song or a consensus of the album with some effort put into it. The artist topics is for posting about random stuff about the band at hand ( like three word album reviews ), while this section is for reviews. Also i'm 10000% sure if all the reviews in this thread would have been positive, but equally worthless in substance, nobody would have said a damn thing. Please get over it, that some people just don't like the same stuff you do ( Not directed to anyone in this thread. This time i actually agree with Bakteeri, but those are my thoughts about this issue in general )

Edit: Don't lock this thread. Let it sort itself out for once.

^An example of a generic band is Uverworld. Gazette has not always been like that.

I'll take UVERworld over gazette any day.

I'll take dying slowly of cancer over dying slowly of aids any day

(also way to keep the discussion on topic, mod!)

Hatin' Gazette is so 2005.

Hatin' Gazette haters is so 2007.

---

Clever monkey has grown on me, so the single gets a 3/10 now :3

Every Gazette thread is filled with pathetic brainfarts and total waste of space and time. You can't come to a forum like this and expect intelligent conversation. I understand that some people don't like Gazette, but bashing them has become some kind of status-game. The more you hate them, the cooler you are. The same thing happened in Batsu. I was one of them, but I pulled my head out of my ass, and realised that this band is actually good at what they do. Even though they don't re-invent music on every fucking release. I don't even expect that, because I'm not a retarded troll. 90% of all bands are generic and some bands never even try to do anything new. Like pretty much EVERY respected legend out there. But when Gazette does it, it's wrong. Hatin' Gazette is so 2005. Grow the fuck up and get a life and atleast TRY to make a review that doesn't make you sound like someone let a fucking ameba use a computer.

That may be, but we try to restrain that as much as possible, we don't want huge fights and people getting buthurt over the slightest insults.

Which results in me being obliged to tell you that the next person going insanely off topic will be in the race for a warning. I don't want to be the party pooper, but we're going waaaaaaay off topic here. Discuss the GazettE's (lack of) originality in the artist topic.

ok guys, first time this thread went offtopic I didn't worry that much since I agree they're generic as hell now and since there wasn't that offensive nor insulting stuff... but guys this is just enough, you went pretty far now. Sai already put a warning but I'm seconding this pretty hard. Everyone ontopic and stop the offensive stuff

RIGHT NOW.

I love how there are always more people bitching over people who criticize the GazettE than people who actually criticize the GazettE.

There's nothing offensive going on here. It only starts to get offensive when people say "LOL anyone who listens the GazettE is a moron". But so far nobody said such things so I don't see a problem. :|

Also, talking about the originality (or lack of..) of this single or how boring/exciting it is, is completely ON topic because this thread is about saying your thoughts on this single, right? Comparisons to the GazettE's other music is also completely ON topic because using that you can express how you feel about this single. Whether they improved or went downhill or stayed exactly the same.

The most off-topic posts here are actually, ironically, posted by the moderators.

I find this single to be 100% generic, dull, boring, etc. It feels like mass production music. Just dishing some stuff out just to have something released. Make it a bit catchy with some parts being very recognizable from previous works, but altered a tiny little bit, and hope it'll sell. Sounds effortless. After listening to it two more times... I think this is the worst single they've released to date IMHO. Most singles had at least 1 good song. This has none.

I love how there are always more people bitching over people who criticize the GazettE than people who actually criticize the GazettE.

There's nothing offensive going on here. It only starts to get offensive when people say "LOL anyone who listens the GazettE is a moron". But so far nobody said such things so I don't see a problem. :|

Also, talking about the originality (or lack of..) of this single or how boring/exciting it is, is completely ON topic because this thread is about saying your thoughts on this single, right? Comparisons to the GazettE's other music is also completely ON topic because using that you can express how you feel about this single. Whether they improved or went downhill or stayed exactly the same.

The most off-topic posts here are actually, ironically, posted by the moderators.

I find this single to be 100% generic, dull, boring, etc. It feels like mass production music. Just dishing some stuff out just to have something released. Make it a bit catchy with some parts being very recognizable from previous works, but altered a tiny little bit, and hope it'll sell. Sounds effortless. After listening to it two more times... I think this is the worst single they've released to date IMHO. Most singles had at least 1 good song. This has none.

[2]

I have to agree, to be quite honest.

This thread is not out of hand. I've seen worse. What i've seen in this thread so far are just peoples reviews - no direct criticism towards users, only towards the single itself.

People get too butthurt when people critisize their favorite bands. Whatever. You don't see people bitching over movie reviews.

Earlier in the thread, I gave the single a negative review but its kind of growing on me.

Clever Monkey is still a horrible song. The title track "Remember the Urge" has grown on me a lot. Sure it sounds like a typical GazettE song but the guitar work is pretty good. The third track is alright too. Sounds like Chizuru.

I still have a little bit of faith in the band. I'm interested in hearing their next album. Yeah, I gave up on D'espa and girugamesh a long time ago but GazettE, for some reason, are a band I constantly keep up with even though i'm always afraid to hear them when they release something new in fear that it'll totally suck.

This wasn't the case with DIM so, here's looking forward to the new album.

*stretches*

Alright, this has gone on long enough and I'm going to correct the course of this topic. For your information, posting a message that's 95% off-topic with a review at the end doesn't constitute an "on-topic" post. On top of that, while there are people sharing their reviews (very good ones too!) and people discussing other people's reviews (that's OK too) there are people just coming in here to instigate and try to cause some drama. No. So let's wash our hands, scale this topic back and start focusing on the reviews instead of who is posting what, who is bitching about what to some exponential power or pointless 0/10 posts that add nothing or heated posts aimed indirectly towards another member.

And if we can't do that I'm just going to start handing people warnings :)

It's not the hating itself I care about. Even I think half of Gazette's stuff is total crap. I'd just like some little quality on posts here. Maybe it's too much to ask.

To go on topic, I'll make a proper review of the single.

Remember The Urge

Ok, the main riff. Actually the only part of the song I don't really care about. It sounds like how a basic lame western emoband would start a song. Jamming a minorscale over powerchords. Pfft. Well, after that it get's better. Verse is nice. Guitars are.. well basicly just hitting one chord. But it works. Ruki is really great on this one. Vocal-lines are very catchy and get's you going with the song. The break before the solo builds up veeeery nicely. The solo itself is probably the highlight of the song. Nothing "wow" like on Pledge, but it's decent. The calm part is a pretty basic way to make a song longer. They could've thought out something more interesting, but hey it works. It's a decent song. Far from their best, yet far from their worst. Though, I'm not surprised at all that they left this one out of the album.

Clever Monkey

Well, the main riff is pretty bland. You know when you grab your guitar and just jam and make up some riff in two minutes? This is one of those riffs. It doesn't sound that shitty, it's just that it could be infinity times better. Actually pretty much the whole song sounds like it was put together in an hour. The chorus sounds very good, but even that is just two chords. It would've been great as a pre-chorus of some other song. Solo sucks. Tapping a scale is the laziest and crappiest form of soloing ever. The laughing at the beginning sets up the song really nicely, and the talking during first verse sounds reeeaaaally badass. Too bad Ruki decided to use those ideas on a pointless filler like this.

Chijou

Mainmelody is very good. The mood and atmosphere is just awesome. The bad thing is that this song sounds really unfinished. If they just would've spent some more time on this and this could've been one of their best songs. Now it's just "one of those b-sides". Many parts are way too short and end like they hit the wall. Don't get me wrong, the song sounds good. But I can't help thinking that they were like "whatever it's finished enough". Well, fuck it's not. So much potential for better.

I really hope they saved the best songs on the album. That is just a huge load of singles with a huge load of crappy fillers. Though, Red and Pledge were so fucking awesome that I have some faith in them.

[2011.08.31] the GazettE - REMEMBER THE URGE (maxi-single)

rtu1.pngrtu2.png

TRACKLIST

1. REMEMBER THE URGE

2. CLEVER MONKEY

3. 痴情

REMEMBER THE URGE (4:04)

The intro starts off very strong, though I really dislike that feedback effect. Love the fast-paced drumming in the beginning that reminded me nostalgically of Ruder, one of my favorite songs. The guitars are nice, but also sound rather generic. It has some good guitar riffs during the verses and in between vocal parts. Vocals are good, but the melody line isn't very catchy or memorable. The song slows down at the 2:55 mark, and Ruki sings in his lower register, a sound that I'd always been fond of. The song pretty much kept at the same level through the entire song, so it lacked any hooks for me.

RATING: 5.5/10

CLEVER MONKEY (2:58)

After the initial couple of seconds, the intro gets better than the REMEMBER THE URGE. Loved the laugh at 0:07; it was creepy and set the right mood for the song. I'm not too fond of the verses since there's too much distortion in them. They also have that pump-up cheerscreaming I mentioned before in my BORN review, but somehow I just feel like BORN does it better? Maybe I'm just biased, but that's my opinion; so the GazettE's version wasn't quite up to par with the kind I anticipate. I do like the chorus of this song though, when Ruki sings normally; however, I like the instrumentals better than the vocals in general. All the distortion and screaming kind of killed it for me, so it was hard to enjoy the rest of the song. The lyrics make me giggle sometimes, YEAH! CLEVER MONKEY!, from what I hear. The power chords at the end were dragged on a little longer than necessary.

RATING: 4.5/10

痴情 (3:24)

Immediately when the song started, I knew this would be my favorite track in the release. The intro was slow, soft, beautiful. Then Ruki's voice comes in, once again in the lower register, which I love. This song definitely showcases his vocal abilities better than the previous two tracks. Now, I do enjoy the occasional screaming here and there, but in a song like this, I feel it was unnecessarily, but alas, it was there. The chorus had a nice melody, but it kind of just leaves me hanging; it doesn't really come to a solid conclusion. I do like the high note he sings for that brief moment though, it sent chills down my spine. Anyway, instrumentals during the softer parts were very nice and enjoyable, but when the power chords come in, I feel like they aren't suited for the song. My score would definitely have been higher if they stuck purely to the softer side.

RATING: 6.5/10

I haven't been listening to the GazettE lately, so I can't really compare with their other recent releases to see how they're doing, but compared to their older stuff that I am more familiar with, I'd definitely say they took a turn for the worse. Their last release that I really listened was NIL, which was 6 years ago. Quite a large timeskip, and I must say there is a HUGE difference. Then Filth in the Beauty came out, and I was like wow no. That pretty much ended my relationship with GazettE. Anyway, it seems like I'm always overly critical over the GazettE's releases because I know how good they used to be, and their newer stuff just don't appeal to me. I feel like they had more variety in their older songs, and didn't include random screams just for the sake of screaming. Tracks like Ruder, 舐~zetsu~, 東京心中, Anti Pop, SHADOW VI II I, and Cassis are the songs that I miss and what made me fall in love with them in the first place. I realize that as a band, they are continuously growing, but I am quite disappointed in the direction they chose to take.

OVERALL RATING: 5/10

I also started up a blog where I'll be regularly posting reviews. I may or may not crosspost them to this forum, it depends on if someone else did it first lol. For example, I reviewed the V-rock Disney cover album, but somebody already posted a review of that, so I didn't.

Anyway, if it's alright to advertise here, please check it out: BLACK THEORY MANIA. c:

Sign in to follow this