Sign in to follow this  
nuke

[2011.09.14] BORN - Psycho Diva

i just recently joined, but might as well post a review to get started! BORN's one of my favorite bands, so i might be a little biased haha, since i love everything they do.

Psycho Diva (3:44)

the song starts off in the typical BORN manner with Ryouga's screaming that i love so much. as soon as the instrumental intro hits, heavy and fast-paced, it immediately made me want to headbang along with it. i really like how noticeable the bass is during the verses where the instrumentals are softer. and of course, he starts screaming again like the RAWR RAWR RAWR kind of screams... BORN always has great screams in their songs without going over the top. Ryouga's vocals satisfy perfectly as usual, in both the verses and the chorus. the chorus has a great melody. overall an enjoyable song, but it lacked anything different for me.

RATING: 6.5/10

DAMNED (3:53)

this song has a soft intro with acoustics where Ryouga starts singing right away, whih immediately hooked me in. what i really like about BORN's songs is that they always have that chorus scream in the background at the right time that really makes you feel apart of the song and makes you want to go YEAH! when they scream YEAH! i don't know the technical term for what it's called so it's hard to explain lol, but i really like it. nice melody for the chorus as always. overall, i liked this one a little better than Psycho Diva because it had a little more variation. plus it had a guitar solo, which the first track lacked. the ending, however, was a little abrupt for my liking, so that lowered my score a bit.

RATING: 7/10

DIRTY STACKER (3:52)

the intro starts off sounding like a typical BORN intro, but it has a slight twist to it where the second guitar plays a different part, so i liked that. it also has the screaming/singing/chanting thing that gets me EVERY TIME and totally makes me want to fistpump. i'm pretty sure there was some engrish in this one too, but once again, it is indistinguishable haha. do i even need to mention ryouga's vocals anymore? they are always amazing and strong. this song wasn't quite up to par with the first two songs, but it was nice nonetheless. not to mention a better ending than DAMNED.

RATING: 6/10

so in conclusion, Psycho Diva was a nice release. in my opinion, it wasn't really anything special though. it was good; above average compared to other bands, but it sounds too similar to their other songs. the screaming that i mentioned before, i really enjoy, but it can get old after a while. ryouga really needs to work out some more original melodies for those parts lol. i realize this is just BORN's style, but i'd look forward to them changing it up a little.

OVERALL RATING: 6/10

anyone have any other thoughts they'd like to share?

Sign in to follow this