CAT5

If you'd never heard Japanese music, what would you be listening to?

i would have been listening to black and hardcore metal bands. The i got into vk and started to hate screaming all over the place. Then i wanted something different and went to korean music. Tho now i mainly listen to R&B, ballads and pop in korean.

I'd probably listen to everything that I listen to now, minus the japanese bands.

i have no idea seriously!

the idea "If you never heard Japanese music.." scares me.

& i don't want to go back to what i used listen no way

i used to listen punk rock metal alternative etc for many years

but i'm so bored with americans / europe

i'm in love with japanese rock & even pop wtf

Probably bands like Hanoi Rocks, Skid Row, GNR, Mötley Crüe and Lost Prophet, but i still listen Hanoi Rocks, Skid Row and GNR :D.

Nothing, by 2006 I had completly given up on music then 2008 I discoverd Girugämesh and D'espairs Ray and fell in love.

I'd probably listen to everything that I listen to now, minus the japanese bands.

for me this would start from Papa Roach, over Disturbed (and other aweomseness that rock during lives) to Lady Gaga, The Beatles, 80s pop and good old 60s.

I was just listening to stuff like Led Zeppelin, Heart, The Moody Blues, The Doors, The Who, Rush, Jefferson Airplane, Ozzy, Hendrix, etc. I was mostly under the impression that the cooler the guitar solo/the higher the singer's notes, the better the song. I paid no attention to bass and drums, and I didn't really "feel" the music either.

Since I started listening to Japanese music, my appreciation for all the parts, (including bass, drums, mood, etc.), has gone way up, and music has become more important to me. I also am more open to different kinds of music now. I used to think metal and anything with screaming in it sucked, but now my favorite band is Dir en grey and I really like D'espairsray, Plastic Tree, Merry, UnsraW, Versailles, 9Goats Black Out, etc.

Anyway, I'm glad I started listening to these bands from Japan. :dansu:

Look at my last.fm > minus japanese bands :D (yes, it would be very poor) fe - Billy talent, My chemical romance, Clint mansell, Hans Zimmer, they're still on the first page of my library :D But if it weren't for Last.fm I don't know a lot of bands include japanese ones. Now I can't even imagine I wouldn't know japanese music...

Gravy Train!!!, Peaches, Bikini Kill, Le Tigre, Nicki Minaj, Lykke Li, Mindless Self Indulgence, Ebony Bones, MIA, Amanda Blank, Uffie, Steve Aoki, Sleigh Bells and Rye Rye are some of my favorites lately.

Oh, what a difficult question! I found Japanese music in 2002 when I was only 13 years old and really didn't have any good music taste to begin with, but I still think I would listen to foreign music because I have always listened to non-Swedish music. (I was a huge fan of Blümchen hahah) and I enjoyed watching Eurovision Song Contest because they sang in foreign languages..

Well, its a difficult question, I've kinda "grown up" with Dir en grey and visual kei, so I find it hard to think about what I would listen to if I didn't found them!

Before I found Japanese music, I was also a big fan of Finnish band HIM (because their drummer is my second cousin) and have a huge CD collection of them but this is kinda embarrassing because they're pretty bad!

But, probably most of the American crap music coming out. :3

Probably EBM and dark/new wave. I still listen to some, but I never really "discovered" a lot of bands in the genre, because my friend managed to get me into Visual Kei not too long after I started liking EBM and distracted me from it lol.

If I didn't find out about Jrock..I would be still listening to Good Charlotte..or something like that..D:

In an odd turn of events I actually when from crappier music to better. ( tho cannot say jrock is godly or whatever...there some really amazing rock music from other countries as well, including the US. )

I might still be stuck in my noise rock/no wave phase that I was in before getting into jpop/jrock

But to think of it, I'm always moving around with my phases. And jrock has gotten me back into everything I was listening to before anyway. Except because the visual kei version of alternative rock sounds so much catchier, complicated, and dope than the American ones, I still haven't been listening to as much American rock. Maybe I'd still turn into a Mew fan (although they're not American and even w/o listening to Jrock that got me into them) or go back to listening to the Get Up Kids anyhow.

Madonna, Katy, and Gaga: There is no shame whatsoever.

Nice. I might get embarrassed if I were a Katy fan, just because I actually don't like her to begin with. But aint nuthin wrong with Madonna & Gaga, they're awesome. Don't forget Cyndi Lauper <3 <3 <3 ( I guess that's the same reason I'm into visual kei, hah!).

I just listened to the Blood Brother's Burn Piano Island Burn all over again. Still love them to bits. But on a lot of parts, I think, "hey, this reminds me of the part in VK stuff where it will be appropriate for the fans in live shows to do cutesey hand movements." lol.

I'm not sure if liking Japanese music has influenced my other music tastes.. I think Dir en Grey was my gateway to metal music, so I'd say I wouldn't be listening to metal, even though that's probably a genre I don't listen to as much now as back when I discovered them.

The other genres I'm into.. nothing really rooted from my liking for Japanese music. I guess maybe I wouldn't be as open as I am to hearing other non-English music.

I would listen to that what I've listened before: [Nu]Metal, [Punk]Rock, Rock'n'Roll, 60s & 70s and Neue Deutsche Härte

That is a very good question.

What would I have listened to if Glay or Gackt, or even the Pillows, flew past me growing up? What would I have done if JPOP queens like Ayumi, Namie, or even Nanase, not been my gateway to music overseas?

Japanese music is something that has become a core part of my very being, allowing me to learn about the outside world, as well as how the internet works, which in turn, led me to a career in Information Security. I can't imagine something else that could fill its place.

If I had to guess, I would venture to say that American Metal would have filled in the void temporarily, before drifting away from that last bit of teenage angst, and succumb to just listening to whatever comes on the radio.

I say that because when I first listened to Japanese music, I purposely went out and taught myself how the internet works, in order to browse forums, blogs, and site's where the P2P sharing wave of the 00's existed, in order to get my hands on as much as I could.

I'm pretty sure that I would not have done this for an American Metal CD that I could just go and buy down the street, and so eventually I'd lose interest.

I'm sure I'd just stream my music at this point, just like everyone else.

Edited by YuyoDrift
Yeah I Necro-Bumped, so what? Muahahaha

I probably would've listened to more emo American bands that sound like My Chemical Romance or Black Veil Brides. I've always loved Black Eyed Peas, so I would've tried more pop/electro groups.

I think I'd have given Radiohead and more experimental groups a chance too. 

If I never heard Japanese music I wouldn't have made many of the choices I made the last fifteen years. I have honestly no idea where I'd be now, or what I would listen to.

I'd definitely keep stanning American emo bands, probably escalate onto screamo, and also stan American/European metal.

In other words, I have no life.

i honestly have no idea what i'd be listening to because japanese music was where everything began for me.

if i never listened to any japanese music i probably wouldn't even have become such a music fanatic since i was mostly exposed to all that american pop stuff like britney spears, backstreet boys, and nsync..........yikes!! although i guess i would have explored a bit of kpop since i listened to some of the older 90s stuff, or otherwise maybe some other asian music. have no idea if i'd even be into rock/heavy music like i am now tho.....i don't even want to imagine

Edited by plastic_rainbow