CAT5

If you'd never heard Japanese music, what would you be listening to?

I'd still be listening to all the music (rock and metal) I do now and did prior. If I wasn't forever hunting down new bands, I wouldn't have found Japanese music in the first place. I like to think I was open-minded about music before I listened to Japanese music. :D

Probably stuff like Children of Bodom, DragonForce, Slipknot, Rammstein, System of a Down and so on... Or something completely different, I dunno.

I probably would have continued listening to the mainstream pop crap and the urban crap, but I would definitely have continued along the metal path, to the point where it would become the majority of what I listen to. But I have a gut feeling that the metal music I did listen to would be more focused on the extreme side, rather than the experimental/PROGALICIOUS/avant-garde shit I prefer nowadays. Also, my listening of rock would also be a bit limited.

Essentially, listening to Japanese music sort of completely opened my mind in regards to music. Because of that, I experimented and tasted more music, not anything confined to any particular genre either. If I hadn't started listening to Japanese music, I would have been a narrowed minded metal elitist of a different kind than the one I am now ;P. Now I listen to some far out shit spanning many many genres miles apart from each other. If I hadn't started listening to the Japanese music-u, I'd prolly be listening to some generic ass deathcore all the time.

THANK THE FUCKING NONEXISTENT GOD IN THE NONEXISTENT HEAVEN THAT I STARTED WITH TEH JAPANEEZU MUSICU!

Conclusion: without Jay Rokk 75% of the people would be listening to nu-metal/entry-level br00tal metal, 20% would be hipsters and 5% would be listening to something else entirely

hm

It is interesting to note that I got a lot of non-japanese band recommendations from people on TW, or people I otherwise found via jrock (or via last.fm, which I'm pretty sure I found via some previous jrock forum). My overall taste in music probably wouldn't be so different if I never listened to jrock, but the secondary effects are not to be dismissed.

^ Yeah, same here (only not from TW, but other forums and places as you said). Also, seeing the influences cited for Japanese bands helped me get into more non-Japanese artists too.

for me it was more of the o hay other countries have good music too, and then the genre-bending a lot of Japanese artists do, it basically made me willing to try just about anything, leading to my current mosaic of taste.

Jrock is really the only rock I like. Aside from that it's american pop... so:

Katy Perry, Madonna, Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, Jeffree Star, Adam Lambert, Black Eyed Peas, Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj (or anything she's featured in.)

Also, AFI and My Chemical Romance. But I'm sort of embarrassed by them.

Actually not at all. I adore Nicki Minaj, if I were embarrassed about one of those two it would be Jeffree Star, but I'm a big fan haha

Guess i would still be listenin' to shitty radiometal. I am curious about it though, as Jrock made music a habit for me. I started to look up new bands furiously, and listened them even if i got slightest chance during the day. Seems that Jrock brought more substance to my life :P

probably i only listen to pinoy rock or western artists. the mainstream ones that i had said in my previous post on this thread. j-rock introduced me to more bands, helped me find my taste, share it to anyone who likes them, promotes them until they get popular.

1990s-2000s no j-rock

2000s-today 80% j-rock 20%-others

+huge difference.

And yet you're not embarrassed about Jeffree Star or Nicki Minaj? D:
You should never ever be embarrassed by what you listen to, no matter how ridiculous it may seem! I live in a place where conformity is the law and if you don't conform you're a pariah. One of those things that you have to conform to is listening to the music everyone else tells you to. I don't and I constantly get insulted and ragged on and teased because I choose not to limit my musical tastes. That doesn't affect me any.

Even if I find Justin Bieber's music disgustingly saccharine if someone else loves it then it's whatever (it's when they start going to the I LOVE HIM extremes that I step in and start the bashing fun). The only thing I can positively not stand is horrible music along the lines of Soulja Boy. Now that's not music, I don't care what genre you listen to or what you want to call it...

But yeah! I forgot what I was saying...

^ Haha, yeah. People should remember that in the end, any form and genre of music can be put up for ridicule. You can ridicule vk fans, oshare fans, metalheads, goths, hipsters, ravers, angura fanboys, emos, rap fans, metalcore fans, people listening to mainstream music, people obsessing over crappy bands because they're rare and unknown, trve and grim black metal fans, or whatever else you can think of. Some of the bands I listen to are grown-up men dressed as vikings. That's virtually calling for ridicule. XD And hey, somtimes it's fun to ridicule, so if you hand it out, you have to be able to receive as well.

So if you like the music, you should stand by it and accept the bashing you might get, because in the end, somebody will always bitch, regardless of what you're listening to. No taste in music is beyond reproach.

Btw, I like some stuff by My Chemical Romance too. :P

And yet you're not embarrassed about Jeffree Star or Nicki Minaj? D:
You should never ever be embarrassed by what you listen to, no matter how ridiculous it may seem!
Ah! My comment was actually geared toward the fact that he(?) said he was embarrassed about listening to My Chemical Romance, of all the artists listed, who are probably subjected to more ridicule than MCR at any rate. It amused me. :DUUR:

^ Haha, yeah. People should remember that in the end, any form and genre of music can be put up for ridicule. You can ridicule vk fans, oshare fans, metalheads, goths, hipsters, ravers, angura fanboys, emos, rap fans, metalcore fans, people listening to mainstream music, people obsessing over crappy bands because they're rare and unknown, trve and grim black metal fans, or whatever else you can think of. Some of the bands I listen to are grown-up men dressed as vikings. That's virtually calling for ridicule. XD And hey, somtimes it's fun to ridicule, so if you hand it out, you have to be able to receive as well.

So if you like the music, you should stand by it and accept the bashing you might get, because in the end, somebody will always bitch, regardless of what you're listening to. No taste in music is beyond reproach.

EXTREMELY well said.

Also @SUBLIMINAL haha yes I'm a he and it's cool! No harm no foul. The only reason why I'm embarrassed about MCR is because everyone in my general area looks at MCR like... Idk... kidmetal or something hahaha. Like only 12 year old scene/emo posers would listen to it but I actually like the music because i like the music, not because I'm scene and it's mandatory or some shit.

And I assume you mean MCR is less embarrassing than Madonna, Gaga, Katy, and Miley correct?

I get a lot of shit because of Miley, but I'm not embarrassed just because I'm just a huge fan. I can at least see where the ridicule comes from.

Madonna, Katy, and Gaga: There is no shame whatsoever.

EXTREMELY well said.

Also @SUBLIMINAL haha yes I'm a he and it's cool! No harm no foul. The only reason why I'm embarrassed about MCR is because everyone in my general area looks at MCR like... Idk... kidmetal or something hahaha. Like only 12 year old scene/emo posers would listen to it but I actually like the music because i like the music, not because I'm scene and it's mandatory or some shit.

And I assume you mean MCR is less embarrassing than Madonna, Gaga, Katy, and Miley correct?

I get a lot of shit because of Miley, but I'm not embarrassed just because I'm just a huge fan. I can at least see where the ridicule comes from.

Yo, Madonna is fucking boss. Katy Perry and Lady Gagonmacock can go eat shit. Not even my shit becuz I would not expend the effort for them to lavish in my otherwordly shit.

Seriously though, I don't understand this whole big shit over Gaga. She is not unique. Her music is in no way original or good, except that you can dance to most of it. Her lyrics mean nothing and she's become a gimmick. Her music is catchy, but that is becuz she recycles the same beats that have been recycled from the fucking 80s. The hooks that she sings have been written and sung by SOOOOO many artists before, and despite the fact that she isn't a terrible singer with a horrible voice, she rarely ever uses her voice to the effect that she could. If she hadn't started wearing those terrible outfits, she would not have become famous. And even then, she hardly designs any of those outfits. People design it for her. So how does that make her original? She is everything I have against pop music, THE FACT THAT LADY GAGA DOES NOT EXIST OUTSIDE HER MUSIC. She is not a human, not in the way that people can relate to each other. To the general public that consumes whatever crap is played on the radio or on the TV, she is entertainment. Even when she tries to have messages or make a statement, they are always done within a music video, a novelty that is consumed by the masses and is soon an afterthought because her statements are just their to bring about controversy. She is thing that churns out music and controversy outta her ass that can be gobbled up. No one cares about her and no one cares about what she says or what she stands for. And that is the epitome of pop music. This is the very reason why Lady Gaga is the quintessential pop artist, and also the very reason why Madonna is, and forever will be, the Queen of Pop. Because despite the Gagster making her living as a novelty, Madonna is the artist that makes the trends, the trends that are rehashed by artists like Gaga who become novelties. In short, Madonna is the Queen of Pop because her calculated moves and music create the novelty pop acts that have been manufactured since she came out in the 80s.

tl;dr - Gaga is a worse and rehashed version of Madonna. She will never out controversial Madonna and her music will never be as trend-setting as the music that Madonna has put out. Lady Gaga is a low-quality carbon copy of everything Madonna has done, except wear stupid gimmicky clothing.

EXTREMELY well said.

Yo, Madonna is fucking boss. Katy Perry and Lady Gagonmacock can go eat shit. Not even my shit becuz I would not expend the effort for them to lavish in my otherwordly shit.

Seriously though, I don't understand this whole big shit over Gaga. She is not unique. Her music is in no way original or good, except that you can dance to most of it. Her lyrics mean nothing and she's become a gimmick. Her music is catchy, but that is becuz she recycles the same beats that have been recycled from the fucking 80s. The hooks that she sings have been written and sung by SOOOOO many artists before, and despite the fact that she isn't a terrible singer with a horrible voice, she rarely ever uses her voice to the effect that she could. If she hadn't started wearing those terrible outfits, she would not have become famous. And even then, she hardly designs any of those outfits. People design it for her. So how does that make her original? She is everything I have against pop music, THE FACT THAT LADY GAGA DOES NOT EXIST OUTSIDE HER MUSIC. She is not a human, not in the way that people can relate to each other. To the general public that consumes whatever crap is played on the radio or on the TV, she is entertainment. Even when she tries to have messages or make a statement, they are always done within a music video, a novelty that is consumed by the masses and is soon an afterthought because her statements are just their to bring about controversy. She is thing that churns out music and controversy outta her ass that can be gobbled up. No one cares about her and no one cares about what she says or what she stands for. And that is the epitome of pop music. This is the very reason why Lady Gaga is the quintessential pop artist, and also the very reason why Madonna is, and forever will be, the Queen of Pop. Because despite the Gagster making her living as a novelty, Madonna is the artist that makes the trends, the trends that are rehashed by artists like Gaga who become novelties. In short, Madonna is the Queen of Pop because her calculated moves and music create the novelty pop acts that have been manufactured since she came out in the 80s.

tl;dr - Gaga is a worse and rehashed version of Madonna. She will never out controversial Madonna and her music will never be as trend-setting as the music that Madonna has put out. Lady Gaga is a low-quality carbon copy of everything Madonna has done, except wear stupid gimmicky clothing.

OOOHHH BOY YOU'VE LEFT ME SPEECHLESSSSSS SOOOO SPEECHLEESSSS

Gaga jokes aside,

I wholeheartedly agree that Madonna is better. I'm like Madonna's biggest fan so to say that I like Gaga as much as Madge would be a total insult to Madge. However, I do really like Gaga's music. Why? Not for the lyrics... there's not much merit to them. Her outfits? Naw, I like this whole avante-garde freak thing she's got going on, no doubt, but that's not why I like it...

I like it simply because I'm a faggot who likes to dance. Hahahaha, that's what it comes down to with me.

Btw, I like some stuff by My Chemical Romance too. :P.

There should be a "Love this post" button in the forum so I could love this over and over again.

EXTREMELY well said.

OOOHHH BOY YOU'VE LEFT ME SPEECHLESSSSSS SOOOO SPEECHLEESSSS

Gaga jokes aside,

I wholeheartedly agree that Madonna is better. I'm like Madonna's biggest fan so to say that I like Gaga as much as Madge would be a total insult to Madge. However, I do really like Gaga's music. Why? Not for the lyrics... there's not much merit to them. Her outfits? Naw, I like this whole avante-garde freak thing she's got going on, no doubt, but that's not why I like it...

I like it simply because I'm a faggot who likes to dance. Hahahaha, that's what it comes down to with me.

I'm a faggot that loves to dance to, but give me someone with, y'know, talent and I'll deep throat dem fuckers. Which is why I love me some Madonna and Christina Aguilera.

And lol, why have I left you speechless???