CAT5

If you'd never heard Japanese music, what would you be listening to?

Necroing this thread :P 

The topic reminds me of a status update convo I had recently. Before I discovered J-music/VK, I was listening to mostly Western mainstream music and various types of Western rock music (i.e. Evanscence, AFI, Paramore, Linkin Park, Within Temptations, etc.). Also, because of my background and family, I was listening to Western "oldies music" (The Beatles, John Denver, Tom Jones, The Eagles, Rolling Stones, The Carpenters, The Temptations, The Fifth Dimension, etc.) and Chinese/Canto-pop (Teresa Teng, Jenny Tseng, Roman Tan, etc.) Also, listened to some classical music artists since I took music classes. Thanks to J-music (mainly anime OPs/EDs), I was able to discover VK, which in turn helped broaden my music tastes even further. It's that experience that helped to cement my interests in language, culture, literature and history. I'm not sure how much of a different person I would have been without J-music/VK, but it's now thoroughly a part of who I am and has helped me discover things I like to do (i.e. travel to countries, try new foods, etc.)

On 10/4/2017 at 12:33 PM, ShTon said:

Probably to popular bands considered "emo" around 2007 then go somewhere else from there.

Mate, same. I was into all that when I was younger. I sorta went through a transition from that to VK, liking both at the same time somewhere in between.

Honestly, the artists I listened to before I found VK I still listen to. I listen to Western music and VK music equally. Plus, I’m always still looking for good Western artists 

Edited by psychonnect_rozen
Spelling

Well right now I'm listening to 1349 (black metal band) and earlier listened to Tempa T (Grime rapper) so probably that kind of thing. haha. I still listen to a lot of non-Japanese music so ya know, would just listen to that minus the Japanese stuff that gets thrown into the mix. + I would probably have much more money if I never got into Japanese music too..... haha.

Before I got into Japanese music, the main type of music I used to actively seek out was hair metal (I'm a big fan of bands like LA Guns, Hanoi Rocks, The Dogs D'Amour, Skid Row, etc., although calling some of those bands "metal" has never felt all that accurate to me). I was also into bands like AFI and The Used and just the usual modern pop and rock.

I watched a lot of VH1 when I was younger (which is partially why I'm so fond of hair metal), so I was also rather partial to best-ofs from retro or "classic" artists. (ex. Prince, Elvis, Loretta Lynn, Whitney Houston, etc.), and I also used to try out bands from books about heavy metal and punk rock (like a lot of those "100 _ albums you need to hear before you die", etc. kind of things.) There was one book that was like an encyclopedia of hard rock/metal bands put together by the magazine Kerrang that I used to try out bands from a lot, which might have led me down some interesting paths.

Edited by violetchain