Sign in to follow this  
Jigsaw9

Best new releases: July 2016

Meh. July was pretty eventless for me, music-wise. I checked out some cool albums, but those were actually released earlier this year (or they were old as hell), so yeahhh... xD I only have one candidate for this month, sadly.

As usual, the rules are pretty simple: you can list what releases you thought were the best, and explain why in a few sentences. You can even pick just 1 album if that's all you've got, and try to keep it to a maximum of 5 items. Feel free to add or remove any albums later if you feel like your taste has changed, etc. Oh, and try to include a sample or two so that others could peep those sweet tunes more easily!

Aaand so here's the one July album I actually really enjoyed:

2lsk5c6.jpg

Asphalt Graves - The New Primitive / I'm always kinda suspicious when it comes to so-called 'super groups' cuz usually they leave me disappointed, but it seems the less mainstream the band members, the better their efforts are, lol. Featuring musicians of such bands as Gwar, Dying Fetus or The Black Dahlia Murder, the project called Asphalt Graves plays a mean as hell mixture of pulverizing death metal and grindcore. There are enough mildly catchy and absolutely headbang-worthy moments here to keep you company for many spins if you enjoy this type of aggression. Great 'letting out the steam' album.

Sorry, no honorable mentions either for me this month. The album above was literally the only thing I noted for myself on my month-to-month list.

Actually a pretty good month all things considered. I grow more terrible at listening and finding out new music so there are all from artists I've followed for a long time. Music links are embedded on the descriptions. 

21 Savage - Savage Mode 

I fucking love Metro. Trap is such cold and cynical music by character and his beats sound like they're sampled straight out of Silent Hill 2. Completely depraved and by far my favorite thing from July.  

Hype Williams - 10/10

If you like this you are a certified #boi.  

Zaytoven - Where Would the Game Be Without Me 

Everything good from the hit and miss releases recently have apparently been Zaytoven productions. The best tracks from Migos' 3 Way and Gucci Mane's Everybody Looking are here and generally everything else bangs too. Had this mixtape not existed, I would have instead put up the otherwise disappointing Everybody Looking for the tremendous Thug feature on Guwop Home

Waka Flocka Flame & Sizzle  - Lebron Flocka James 4

Impossible to not like something this hype. Great energy and having the producers responsible for the sound of today on board doesn't hurt either.

Various Artists - Techtonic Plates vol 1

I'm cheating a little here because this is a reissue from a decade ago. I mean all the digital mystikz, skream stuff from around this period is so great. A glimpse into a place and time that's so close, yet so far. 

Nikolajev - Nikolajev 

I LIKE IT.

Mistress - Hollygrove

Like this too.

MJ Guider - Precious Systems 

Sounds exactly like it looks. I'd prefer moar of the danceable material like White Alsatian in favor of the droning bollocks but what do I know. 

Disappointments: It's a little dry on the disposable techno front, which is no doubt the fault of my laziness in keeping up with it. Kassem Mosse and Rrose utterly underwhelming with their respective releases. 

Lil Uzi Vert and Migos both phone in an EP and a tape that sound like what they usually do, but not that great. Very disappointing with Uzi's last mixtape being as good as it was. Guwop wasn't all that either, and somehow it looks like I'm the only one thinking that. 

Visual kei was on a summer vacation to recover from the loss of Avelcain and restore it's collective energies for Morrigan and Avanchick LP's.

Edited by Disposable

Cradle of Filth - Dusk... and Her Embrace - The Original Sin

After 21 years the original recording of Cradle of Filth's Dusk... and Her Embrace finally sees the light of day, and what an album it is. Recorded in 1995 by the same bunch who did The Principle of Evil Made Flesh it's a lot different than the version we got in 1996. It's darker, meaner, blacker and less gothic, with a grimmer, more lo-fi production and a very different sound. The biggest difference would be Dani's vocals which is very, very different from those on the 1996-version. It's flawed, but the flaws just strenghten the whole album IMO. A fantastic album!

Satan's Vomit - Back to the Beginning

Old school black/speed metal in the vein of old, old Bathory and Hellhammer. Ripping stuff that ends with an excellent cover of Exorcist's Black Mass. Just my cup of dirty tea.

Breidablik/Jordsjø - Songs from the Northern Wasteland

Split release between progressive folk-rocker(s) Jordsjø and "nature synther" Breidablik. This shit is perfect for a walk in the forest or up in the mountain. Excellent again from Jordsjø, and Breidablik was a pleasant surprise.

I expect Sauron's "Conquest Through Attrition" and Salem's Pot's "Pronounce This!" to make this list too, but I haven't heard 'em yet. Expect them to be good, though.

July was a slightly underwhelming month for me, though one or two nice releases still slipped through the cracks.

7oRGwmq.jpg
lycoriscoris - Transient

With only three tracks, one of which being a remix by another artist,Transient is a short but sweet EP that displays what makes lycoriscoris one of the underrated gems of Japan's brilliant glitch/IDM scene. For those familiar with his previous work, Transient is essentially more of the same; but when you're as talented as lycoriscoris that's really all it needs to be. Highly recommended for those looking to try out the genre, or for those that are already into it but have never given him a shot before.

Bandcamp

ru4Tvxn.jpg

TTNG - Disappointment Island 

There are a few things that are certain in the world: the sun rises every morning and sets at night, all living things eventually die, and TTNG always releases solid math rock albums. Disappointment Island, thankfully, doesn't alter this inherent state of nature. Much like the lycoriscoris release, this one doesn't exactly throw up any new surprises with regards to where it fits in with the rest of the band's material, but I don't think anyone particularly expected or really wanted it to. On a personal level I have to admit that I've always preferred their previous vocalist, but it's not a big enough deal to stop me from enjoying this album.

Bandcamp

20 minutes ago, Bear said:

After 21 years the original recording of Cradle of Filth's Dusk... and Her Embrace finally sees the light of day, and what an album it is. Recorded in 1995 by the same bunch who did The Principle of Evil Made Flesh it's a lot different than the version we got in 1996. It's darker, meaner, blacker and less gothic, with a grimmer, more lo-fi production and a very different sound. The biggest difference would be Dani's vocals which is very, very different from those on the 1996-version. It's flawed, but the flaws just strenghten the whole album IMO. A fantastic album!

Forgot about this entirely! Getting it immediately 

I haven't been able to keep up with too much this year actually on time of its release. Singles mostly. But I was able to get in on one new album that is giving me life.

Emarosa-131.jpeg

Emarosa - 131

Their last album really walked the line between their old material and where they were headed with this album. It just took the release of this album to see it. 131 is a collection of soulful, emotional rock with hints at nostalgic 90s R&B mixed in. It has some of my favorite Emarosa cuts so far. I'm not surprised to hear this is their first album to crack the top 40 charts. They're also killing the live aspect on Warped Tour this year. Even better than last year. 

Spoiler

On 8/1/2016 at 0:41 PM, Bear said:

Forgot about this entirely [2]

Listened last night..... definitely rawer and blacker than the '96 version. Awesome!

@Disposableis that the first mention of Waka Flocka on M-H!? Haha, he's long fallen in the category of 'you don't really need more than a few tracks' cause they're mostly the same (though I do have Flockaveli and Ferrari Boyz on my HDD).  But I liked the song you linked, I might need to spin that new mixtape while I'm driving home from work on a Friday.

Edited by The Reverend

@The Reverend Agreed. Flockaveli is a classic and such an artistry defining statement that I thought everything afterwards was just additional baggage. I pretty much treated him like Keef that in my eyes their careers were capped and done with, but this just bangs exceptionally hard. Then again I also like Migos and they've quite literally made the same shit for years now.

Interresting things came out this month. here we go

Discover of the mont : 

Trade Wind — You Make Everything Disappear

2Q==005527381_190.jpg

It's an alternative rock band. It's colorful, poetrical, but at the mean time, this is very moody. There are some interresting melodies, it's a sort of concept mini-album with post-rock and atmospheric and melancholic sounds. Try it !

Crown the Empire — Retrograde

51248010?wid=480&hei=480

Not as good as I expected but there are few very catchy song here. Like that. It's summer and it's really fun.

Night Verses — Into the Vanishing Light

ZZ222426.jpg

progressive metal, mathcore, experimental metal, progressive rock, post-hardcore

They are really skilled and make interresting songs. It's pretty difficult to get into their music  at the first time but this is a really good deal.

Cane Hill - Smile

Cane-Hill-album.jpg

Nu metal alternative metal metalcore industrial metal

Explosive album. Nothing more to say. Try it and appreciate it.

Parkway Drive - IRE (Deluxe edition)

34f50b5a776a7de0073e6fcd0bf96f00.jpg

Hellions - Opera Oblivia

hellions_operaoblivia.jpg

Edited by Shaolan974

4 hours ago, Shaolan974 said:

Cane Hill - Smile

Cane-Hill-album.jpg

Nu metal alternative metal metalcore industrial metal

Explosive album. Nothing more to say. Try it and appreciate it.

I totally forgot this was coming out. Definitely gonna grab it!

7 hours ago, Disposable said:

@The Reverend Agreed. Flockaveli is a classic and such an artistry defining statement that I thought everything afterwards was just additional baggage. I pretty much treated him like Keef that in my eyes their careers were capped and done with, but this just bangs exceptionally hard. Then again I also like Migos and they've quite literally made the same shit for years now.

thoughts on the lil yachty tape??? i also loved the 21 savage, it was lit and sooo moody (kinda reminded me of old tyler but thru a young metro lens)

i havent liked anything migos have done for a while im so sad ;__; the ty dolla sign and future song is really fun too i like that

11 hours ago, emmny said:

thoughts on the lil yachty tape??? i also loved the 21 savage, it was lit and sooo moody (kinda reminded me of old tyler but thru a young metro lens)

i havent liked anything migos have done for a while im so sad ;__; the ty dolla sign and future song is really fun too i like that

I like it! Could have added it here actually. Speakin of Migos i actually like them more as features than on their own material like on Dipset. Can't recall a single bad offset or quavo feature on the spot 

nice to see other fans of #realhiphop here!!

6 hours ago, Disposable said:

I like it! Could have added it here actually. Speakin of Migos i actually like them more as features than on their own material like on Dipset. Can't recall a single bad offset or quavo feature on the spot 

nice to see other fans of #realhiphop here!!

tbh i want quavo to pull a gackt and go solo, his work is better than the other dudes and im really partial to his voice.

this is the only place on the internet to compare gackt and quavo...cherish this

#realhiphopz will never DIE!!

Sign in to follow this