peffy

[SOLVED] How can I rip copy-protected DVDs to ISO?

Sooo, I managed to do this ONCE, over a year ago, and completely forgot how I did it.

I think I used a combination of DVDFab9 and ImgBurn.

I need to rip another DVD now, but both of those programs are producing garbled messes. I also tried InfraRecorder but got the same result.

** I am NOT willing to pay for software, because I don't even watch these DVDs myself, I'm ripping because of a request. If there's no free solution, I'm just not going to share DVDs anymore.

Isodisk has worked great for me!

http://www.isodisk.com/

(It can be a bit finicky sometimes, but it has been generally excellent)

Another method is to record a "chapter" of the DVD via VLC (avi/mp4 format), but that's a bit more roundabout.

(Plus you can just drop ISO files into VLC/MPC-HC and get them to play anyway.)

Edited by colorfuljinsei

The DVD I'm trying to rip is from REIGN's [666] album.

@colorfuljinsei So I tried ISODisk, and it didn't work at all. It told me it was finished after about 1 second, and the file size is 600 kb.. obviously, it errored out. I decided to try a different DVD.. tried Gossip's new single cuz it's still on my desk, and ISODisk ripped it perfectly. DVDFab also ripped it perfectly.

So maybe there is some funky new encryption in REIGN's DVD that these programs can't deal with?? It does work perfectly fine if I play it straight from the disk, so it's not like I have a bad disk. 

I tried to get DVD Shrink, but my browser(s) keep telling me it's an unsafe file. Seems like there's a virus going around with the same name. Decided not to risk it. Both DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink haven't been updated in 11 years.. if this DVD is using new encryption, it's not gonna work anyway.

Thank you all for your suggestions tho!!

If anyone else has suggestions please let me know, I will give them a shot.. 

Edited by peffy

Handbrake? i've used that for a lot of things

edit: might not be the best if you're wanting to keep it an ISO file tho... it usually rips to mp4/file types like that

Edited by itsukoii

@itsukoii I found Handbrake when I was googling, but skipped over it because it does not output ISO.

However, I decided to try it since you mentioned it. I installed an extra .dll file too. And it worked!!! So I now have an mp4 version of this DVD.. which is better than nothing. Thanks!!

Edited by peffy

you're very welcome!! glad to hear it worked for you <3

thanks for this thread! i was trying to find something to rip my vistlip dvds too. they seem to be the only(?) band's dvds i can't rip using dvd decrypter -_-

i wonder if it's possible to use handbrake to rip to a lossless format though o.o