Sign in to follow this  
TheBistroButcher666

[Russian] Korol i Shut - Король и Шут

58895511.png

The band was formed in 1988 by school friends in Saint Petersburg around founder members Mikhail "Jug" Gorshenev (Михаил Горшок Горшенёв), Alexandr Balu Balunov (?лек?андр Балу Балунов) and Alexandr Lieutenant Tchigoliev (?лек?андр Поручик Щиголев). Singer Andrei Kniaz' Kniazev (?ндрей Кн?зь Кн?зев) joined the band in 1990 and guitarist Yakov Zvirkunov (Яков Цвиркунов) in 1997. The band's name, which means The King and the Jester, was adopted in 1992, its previous name was Bureau (Контора).

Korol' i Shut lyrics are written by Kniazev and feature horror stories and folk tales about pirates, trolls, ghosts and vampires, as well as Slavic mythology. The band members wear Misfits-inspired horror make-up onstage.

The band recorded for the first time in 1991 in a semi-professional studio. It was programmed on the radio soon after and began to tour in Saint Petersburg's clubs. From 1993, it started touring also in Moscow.

The first album was released in 1994 with a run of few copies: Bud' kak doma putnik (Будь как дома путник – Feel yourself at Home, wanderer), which was re-edited in 2000.

The first album which was largely edited was Kamnem po golove (Камнем по голове – Stone to the head) in 1996 by "Melodya" . Many other albums were released since then. The first music video was released in 1998 for the song Yeli miaso mujiki (Ели м??о мужики -- Men were Eating Meat).

- Members

Mikhail "Gorshok" Gorsheniov (Михаил «Горшок» Горшенёв) - Vocals

Andrei "Kniaz" Kniazev (?ндрей «Кн?зь» Кн?зев) - Vocals

Yakov Zvirkunov (Яков Цвиркунов) - Guitars

Alexandr "Porutchik" Tchigoliev (?лек?андр «Поручик» Щиголев) - Drums

Pavel "Pahan" Sazhinov (Павел Сажинов) - Keyboards

Dmitri "Casper" Rishko (Дмитрий Ришко) - Violin

Sergey "Zahar" Zaharov (Сергей «Захар» Захаров) - Bass guitar

Sample videos ~

znhskwQoUSY

zNQ3rndWjjI

GTdr_Wtt5i8

My thoughts ~

If you've been stalking me on Last.fm you'll see that this band has taken over my account. I honestly don't know much about the band other than what I have read on Wikipedia and Last.fm. They have two singers Gorshok and Kniaz, some songs are exclusively sung by only one singer others by both. At first I was a little hesitant since I pretty much hate all those VK bands with multiple singers but these guys know what they're doing and it's nothing like that train wreck that's going on in Visual Kei. The singers have also released solo albums which kind of gives you an idea of the styles these guys like and how it comes together in Kish. The band has a pretty large discography that I'm still trying to get through but there's a bit of variety. Some albums are typical punk rock, which aren't that bad and I enjoy some songs but they have these great acoustic folky albums which I love.

This band gets Arithmetica's seal of approval!

seal-of-approval.jpg

I digged them alot in my early childhood (late 90s and early 2000s)

...quite sad that all I could remember from their repertoire was only "Ели м??о мужики" and "Мёртвый ?нархи?т"

but those songs are quite nice as well - or should i say: nostalgic 8)

Sign in to follow this