Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

Zess' Best of 2013

I have one to two more parts to my metal list left to cover, depending on how much stuff I decide I'm inspired to write about. Thanks for all the feedback by the way! You guys are awesome. :)

Framtid never released a split with the d-beat master-legends Discharge, but with the Discharge copycat band Disclose, a Japanese d-beat band that worships the living shit out of Discharge. They're like a more lo-fi version of Discharge. If you like Discharge you'll like Disclose, and the other way. Both are great bands. Nah, in fact they're both brilliant (even though Discharge turned to shit at one point, but they got their shit together and went good again)!

And Framtid's amazing. I've been waiting for "Defeat Of Civilization" for 6-7 years now and seeing as "Under the Ashes" are one of my all time favourite punk albums, my expectations were high to say the least, and they didn't disappoint one bit. It's raw, ugly and brutal where chaos and destruction are the main words.

Best of 2013: Rock/Metal (Part 3)

Hubardo by Kayo Dot

album coverartist pic

I believe this is the first double-album to make it onto the list, and it's a mammoth one at that. Kayo Dot does not make their music easily-accessible, and with Hubardo spanning two discs and half as many hours there's enough time for all of their ideas to unfurl. And unfurl they do. Hubardo is a collection of ideas and instruments that don't sound like they would go together clumped together in a free-form, flowing post-rock canvas. It sounds overly pretentious, overly ambitous, and doomed to fail from the start but Kayo Dot exceeds all expectations and produces one hell of an unsettling album. They pay an immense amount of attention to the atmosphere, the layering and the soundstage. Hubardo closes in on you from all angles from the beginning of The Black Stone and doesn't let go until the end. Grab your greatest audio gear and give yourself an hour to enjoy this album. This isn't something you listen to - it's something you experience.

The Migration by Scale the Summit

album coverartist pic

Scale the Summit is the kind of album that comes from a band people continuously underestimate. The band is a very unassuming group of fellows who get together and make some of the most calming, yet complex post-rock music I've ever heard. There's enough polyrhythms alone in The Migration to make my head spin. When I factor in everything else from the flow of the album, the musical techniques used, and the timbre of the instruments, I sit in awe. The artists may be young, but they do know their craft. I said this two years ago when I first listened to The Collective and thought it was one of the greatest post-rock albums of the year but it seems I have forgotten what it's like to hear refreshing traditional post-rock.

Empyrean by Mechina

album coverartist pic

I give you fair warning right now: the production on this album was weaksauce and the synth is on the budget side. It's the biggest problem this album sports, which holds it back from being one of the greatest industrial metal albums released this year. If either of those aren't a make or break it deal for you, Mechina's Empyrean beckons. If 'cyber metal' were a thing, this would be the soundtrack to it. Having gone back into Mechina's discography to get better context for this album, all of their music is a collection of narratives and stories about some futuristic conundrum humanity has wrapped themselves up in and Empyrean feels like the end to that story. You don't need to know the entire story to get into the riffs, climaxes, and interludes that make up the runtime of Empyrean, but seeing a concept so well executed from beginning to end is it's own joy. They may be an underground, self-funded and self-produced band but Mechina has the chops to cement themselves as one of the most solid bands in their field.

Deceiver of the Gods by Amon Amarth

album coverartist pic

Another year, another Amon Amarth album. It's easy to expect the expected having just passing knowledge of Amon Amarth myself, but the quality of their albums vary. Their last effort, Surtur Rising, was not my cup of tea. The band has gotten together and shaken off the staleness that was all over their last album and because of that Deceiver of the Gods is a much better album. It works because even within the confined space of viking metal that they've carved out for themselves and rode to the top with, they're finding small ways to spice up a formula verging on twenty years old. For some people it may not be enough experimentation. For die-hard Amon Amarth fans who want "With Oden On Our Side 4" it may be too much. For people like me, it's theme music for when I want to role play as a viking. That's all I expect from this band, and they've delivered another predictable but enjoyable album.

Gotta admit that I am a bit disappointed by your metal/rock lists. Not much of interest at all. I'm hoping for something that can catch my interest later on.

Damn Zess, That Scale The Summit post just hit the exact thoughts I've had about them for a while now! The Migration takes me to a whole different world. The downside is that each song doesn't have a specific solo but I guess that's mostly because the whole album turned out to be one huge solo.

I'm currently trying to learn The Levitated off of their The Collective album

Best of 2013: Rock/Metal (Part 4)

Last part! I seriously underestimated how many releases I had left to talk about a few days ago and I wanted to end on the first. The worst part is the releases I've been stalling for haven't even made it onto the list! That goes to show that you can never listen to everything in one year. Buckle up because this will take a while.

アナタソナタ by 惑星アブノーマル

album coverartist pic

If Nandemonai Kyouki was the spastic little sister, Anata Sonata is the more refined older sister. At first, the calmer atmosphere of Anata Sonata would have anyone believe the band quickly dropped all their experimental pretenses but that is not so. Anata Sonata elects to intensify over time. And when given time to do different things, Wakusei Abnormal does just that. The duo shows us that they have the pop sensibilities to make convincing, charming tracks, the experimental sensibilities to create confounding songs, and the ability to mix and match them as they see fit. This album requires a different approach than their mini album released earlier this year, but it's good in it's own right.

Soma by Windhand

album coverartist pic

Stoner/psychedelic rock with slowed down punk riffs that can break walls and hypnotizing vocals that will knock you on your ass if you aren't ready. They remind me a lot of Electric Wizard but with some more groove in their riffs from time to time, and with the mentioned band having been inactive since 2010 this is a very good substitute. But Windhand is more than an EW substitute, and Soma is more than just a stoner metal album. The trick to their awesomeness is how well Cottrell's vocals fit in with the hazy but not overbearing atmosphere carved out by the guitars. Album enders Cassock and Boleskine are really where it's at, when the band unexpectedly drops into doom metal territory for 45 minutes and the album becomes delightfully suffocating under the weight of all of those riffs and the haunting female vocals. Really, really good stuff!

Das Tor by Paysage d'Hiver

album coverartist pic

I picked the picture for Paysage d'Hiver for a reason. As an artist, he comes very close to translating his musical world through his instrument for all to hear. And the musical world in his head is a cold, desolate place where people go to die. Das Tor isn't a welcoming record. With explosive sections and shrieks that feel like cold gusts of wind hitting you in the face, and a black metal aesthetic ripped straight out of the basement of the 80s, Das Tor isn't a positive record. Sticklers of musical quality better look elsewhere because the instruments sound like crap, but it's the intentional kind of crap. Das Tor also isn't an easy record to listen to front to back. It's a four track album with a median runtime of seventeen minutes, which brings to mind Burzum's ambient attempts without the repetition burning deep into your skull. If you are not well-versed in the annals of black metal, I have other albums for you to start with first. But once you're comfortable, come back. Das Tor is one of the best black metal albums of 2013 once you peel back it's frosty, uninviting layer.

Unhuman by Unhuman

album coverartist pic

I've listened to quite a few technical death metal albums this year, but none of them captivated me quite like Unhuman did. They hit the perfect mix of technical prowess, brutality, impressive vocals, good old songwriting and top it off with old fashioned death metal know how. The flow of each song is natural and impressive, the drumwork is frantic without being fast for fast's sake, and the feels fresh in a genre where people continuously try to outdo other bands with more and more ridiculous gimmicks. This smacks the fire out of Rings of Saturn's Dingir and sounds more convincing than Gorguts' newest, if you need two other tech death albums of the year for comparison. Why? Because this album doesn't become a chore to listen to by the third track. It envelops me from beginning to end. This is the album other tech death artists need to start taking notes from.

percept from... by ptf

album coverartist pic

ptf. is as indie as progressive rock music gets in Japan it seems. A combination of an unsearchable name and a first debut means that finding out any information takes some serious google-fu. I couldn't even find more than one video on YouTube to share! But the persistence is worth it and I'm glad I stumbled across this band this year. ptf puts their own unique spin on progressive rock featuring no guitars! The violinist and keyboardist takes the place of the traditional, venerated progressive rock instrument and dominate the soundscapes of precept from... to give it it's unique flavor. For a band's debut, these guys work together as if they've been doing it for years. Fans of progressive rock need to check this out.

since by chouchou merged syrups.

album coverartist pic

chouchou merged syrups. is another slice of the Japanese indie pie featuring a vocalist who you will either love or love to hate. Personally, I love her style even if it the most expressive or expansive because it fits with the style of the band so well, and she has the added benefit of not being shrill! Unlike all of the other extreme, angular indie bands I've shared so far, this is the first that comes closest to pop territory. The style of the band is firmly between the hazy abyss of rock and pop music and is neither too extreme or too slow. There are plenty of ballad but not quite ballad moments here for those that want a more mellow experience. For those that want a more energetic side to the band, chouchou merged syrups. offers that too. If the vocals don't irritate you, since is a very pleasing mini.

Old Mornings Dawn by Summoning

album coverartist pic

It's atmospheric black metal with a folky twist! And if you think that those two genres could never rectify themselves within the context of a single work, you would be wrong. The record is dark and earthy but more "covered in thickets of trees" dark. I often can't get into bands with folky influences because they go too far and cheese it up. Sometimes, folk bands come out sounding like they're covering a Lord Of The Rings soundtrack of their own devising. This does not happen here. Summoning does not forget the black metal aspect to themselves at home and that aspect is what firmly guides every track on this album. You'll hear it in the vocals. You'll hear it in the synthesizer that is awash in the background. You'll hear it in the long, wandering pace of all of the tracks. The album maintains a singular pace despite the vast number of tracks and it comes close to feeling like an anthology of times long past, which is very fitting given the name of the album. It's a very different album but a very good one!

第5作品集『無題』 by downy

album coverartist pic

I am not one of those indie fans that have been waiting nine years for a new downy album. I'm one of those indie fans who continuously come across new bands veterans have been touting for years to no avail. downy would be one of those bands. downy has a handful of tricks to pull forth the desired feelings from the listener, whether that be well-placed screams, a few strokes of the piano, or a miniscule amount of guitar feedback. 第五作品集『無題』 is a hypnotizing, moody, slightly depressing album that keeps itself together by not overdoing any one aspect of its sound. It's sprawling exploration of it's own soundscapes is in itself interesting, as if the music becomes self-aware halfway through the runtime. The end of the album leaves me with a strange, but satisfying feeling that everything that they wanted to say after nine years of silence has been said. It may have come out a few days too late for our staff list but if two staff members have already included this album on their lists that's a sign! Check it out!

The Underground Resistance by Darkthrone

album coverartist pic

If you would have told me a year ago that Darkthrone was the band that mixes all the elements of black, speed, and heavy metal that caused me to stan Bathory and start my fascination with black metal...I would have started listening to Darkthrone a whole lot earlier! The Underground Resistance is everything I like about black metal. The production is raw without being unlistenable, lending to the cold unforgiving atmosphere. The riffs are varied and interesting without revolving around one motif for very long, and also have acoustic passages and prominent bass lines that add just enough to the low end. The vocals are odd but work within the context of the music, because in an oddity for black metal I haven't heard since Quorthon there is a mixture of singing and screaming in a genre where vocalists try to outscreech each other. Their willingness to make music how they want to make music is how black metal should be done! If you're looking for something you can headbang to, or if you're looking for a black metal album that's comfortable in it's own skin this is the record for that!

Bilo 3.0 by David Maxim Micic

album coverartist pic

Damn. It's been a while since I've heard metal this touching. Yes, you read that right. Touching metal. I'm convinced David Maxim Micic is a genius who has found a way to inject feels into what is historically one of the most ruthless, unfeeling genres of music. He does this by discarding all pretense as to how music is supposed to sound, and incorporates whatever he feels the music calls for at the appropriate time. So even though I called this a metal album that's just a formality, and the opener to Everything's Fine starts with layered piano and violin that would have you think he overdosed on Mono. But as he said, everything's fine. Bilo 3.0 is an all-encompassing, free-form journey that effortlessly shifts through so many genres it's just easiest to call the end result music. If there was ever an album that could sound beautiful, this would be it. You do yourself no favors by skipping this album.

The Underground Resistance by Darkthrone

The+Underground+Resistance+CDVILEF425.pnDarkthrone+PNG.png

If you would have told me a year ago that Darkthrone was the band that mixes all the elements of black, speed, and heavy metal that caused me to stan Bathory and start my fascination with black metal...I would have started listening to Darkthrone a whole lot earlier! The Underground Resistance is everything I like about black metal. The production is raw without being unlistenable, lending to the cold unforgiving atmosphere. The riffs are varied and interesting without revolving around one motif for very long, and also have acoustic passages and prominent bass lines that add just enough to the low end. The vocals are odd but work within the context of the music, because in an oddity for black metal I haven't heard since Quorthon there is a mixture of singing and screaming in a genre where vocalists try to outscreech each other. Their willingness to make music how they want to make music is how black metal should be done! If you're looking for something you can headbang to, or if you're looking for a black metal album that's comfortable in it's own skin this is the record for that!

No! Just no. It isn't. If you're looking for black metal Darkthrone anno 2013 isn't where to look. I don't like nagging about genres, but Darkthrone haven't released a black metal album since 2006. The Underground Resistance is just a heavy/speed metal album with a bit of the first wave of black metal (Hellhammer, Celtic Frost, Venom, Bathory) and doom thrown into the mix, but the amount of black metal are minimal. Great album though!

And picking Paysage d'Hiver and Summoning were quite some surprises. Especially the first one. Both released two great albums this year, so that's cool.

And I guess it's OK to come with a recommendation here?

Caladan Brood should be right up your alley as you enjoy Summoning. They're a Summoning clone which doesn't really add anything new to the genre. The biggest difference are the clean vocals ussed in Caladan Brood, and they're great as well. Not quite on par with Summoning's 3-4 best albums, but still worthy of your attention.

No! Just no. It isn't. If you're looking for black metal Darkthrone anno 2013 isn't where to look. I don't like nagging about genres, but Darkthrone haven't released a black metal album since 2006. The Underground Resistance is just a heavy/speed metal album with a bit of the first wave of black metal (Hellhammer, Celtic Frost, Venom, Bathory) and doom thrown into the mix, but the amount of black metal are minimal. Great album though!

And picking Paysage d'Hiver and Summoning were quite some surprises. Especially the first one. Both released two great albums this year, so that's cool.

And I guess it's OK to come with a recommendation here?

Caladan Brood should be right up your alley as you enjoy Summoning. They're a Summoning clone which doesn't really add anything new to the genre. The biggest difference are the clean vocals ussed in Caladan Brood, and they're great as well. Not quite on par with Summoning's 3-4 best albums, but still worthy of your attention.

Haha tell them that! Their logo just screams black metal, that album cover reminds me a lot of the Viking influence Bathory had around Blood and Fire, and that's what this was sold to me as. I felt the album was black metal with a heavy helping of heavy/speed metal thrown into the mix. You say it's the other way around. A good argument can be made no matter what way you look at it. Genres are just becoming more and more obsolete each year.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that in my post. Since I'm done with my list feel free to leave me some recommendations on what you think I missed from this year. I'll check out Caladan Blood now and get back to you on my thoughts soon.

Darkthrone are best known as a black metal band and played black metal for 15+ years (minus a couple of death metal albums), and they never bothered changing their logo. So it's a traditional black metal logo, and it's understandable that people would get the impression it was a black metal album from the cover. But the music is very much speed/heavy metal which I would guess was very much influenced by old school speed metal ala Agent Speed anf Savage Grace and heavy metal and epic metal ala Iron Maiden, Angel Witch, Heavy Load and Manilla Road, but also with a hint of the first wave black metal (mainly Hellhammer/Celtic Frost). My thoughts also goes to Pagan Altar at times.

This is something that is easy to notice on Leave No Cross Unturned. The opening riff sounds like something off Agent Steel's "Unstoppable Force", while the rest sounds like something off an early Hellhammer/Celtic Frost recording. But beside that, I wouldn't say that there's very much black metal on the album. Sure you can hear some Venom and Hellhammer/Celtic Frost here and there, but not too much of it IMO, and then there's the vocal as well of course.

Cool! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I'll also come back with a 3-5 albums that I'm sure you'll enjoy. You might have checked 'em out already, but if you haven't you might find something new.

So here's a few albums from 2013 I think you might enjoy.

1. Czarface - Czarface

I don't really know what kind of hip hop you enjoy, but this might be something for you. Nothing original at all, but it's a very solid boom bap album that will you take you back to the 90's.

2. Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats - Mind Control

Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats took the world by storm in 2011 when they released their second album, "Blood Lust", a perfect blend of catchy doom metal and psychedelic rock with occult vibes. In 2013 the band returned with a new album, "Mind Control", and it's another very solid album, but a bit different. I feel as if this is more rock inspired and I don't get those occult vibes this time. It's a bit more garagey and laid back, I guess you could say.

3. Jess and the Ancient Ones - Astral Sabbatsy

Psychedelic rock that brings my thoughts to occult rock bands such as The Devil's Blood, Coven and Sabbath Assembly, just slightly more uplifting that the few I named. I don't really know what more to say other than to point out that Jesse's a goddess! That voice, man. That voice.

I can come back with more too if you feel you're getting anything out of my recommendations. Because it's been a massive year for music and good music should be recommended to others.

Thoughts in order:

I felt the second Windhand album was superior to the first because they found more of their own style as a band.

Caladan Brood became very pleasant background music after about five minutes. Because of it's long runtime and slow pace, it doesn't do anything wrong but it doesn't captivate my attention. Great music for when you're amping up for a Lord of the Rings rewatch (which I plan to do today!)

I like Czarface much more than Ghostface Killah's attempt earlier this year. I must like the throwback 90s sound much more.

I'm a sucker for doom metal and stoner rock, so you won me over with Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats.

Jess and the Ancient ones sounds fantastic. Can't believe I missed that this year.

Yes!! David Maxim micic's Bilo 3.0 is the epitome of beautiful

You said recommendations but I'm not entirely sure on your tastes so I'll just give out recommendations based on mine and see if you fancy any.

1. Heaven Shall Burn- Veto

HSB is a German metal/death metal band that formed around 1996. Their recent album is my first take on their music and it was more than satisfactory. While the whole album carries some very heavy growls, the instrumentalists are able to mix in some very melodic riffs and have some great mid-sections that sort of link two feelings towards one song. I'm more of a fan of bands that either are clean, have a unique growl, or can mix the two very effectively. This band is one of the exceptions to that preference of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esi9RUWWtks&list=PLLsT3G3KkfYfgVatMfOXRXwi6uKfGPZRI

2. Leprous- Coal

Leprous is a Norweigan metal band that formed in 2001. They've been classified as prog-metal before but I personally don't hear it. They're more of your melodic metal type of band that focuses more on memorable riffs and melodies than trying to be heavy or br00tal. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9o2nVY8FZ0

3. Tesseract- Altered State

Progressive-metal(?) band from the UK. They've only put out two albums but their most recent album has to be the most atmospheric album of 2013 (besides Bilo3.0), mostly thanks to the addition of "the man with the voice of an angel" Ashe O'Hara. This was an album that carried so much groove and was just too good to stop listening to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=get0cXOsSXg

4. Protest The Hero- Volition

A technical metal band from Canada that started when the five guys were back in high school. Over the span of a little over 10 years, they've released 4 albums, including their most recent album Volition. Volition ended up surpassing their past 3 albums in quality, with the album mixing perfectly all of their past sounds from their previous albums, and was an album of an amazing feat having been funded entirely by their fans in a crowdfunding campaign.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7pvvAuj7jw 

Going through your lists and trying things for fun, along with Cats' list. I'll post every so often as I go through samples. 

Russian Circles sounded okay, but I honestly don't think I 'get it.' Maybe post-rock really just isn't my thing? Every time I try something that's post-rock I just feel...nothing. I suppose forcing myself to like something doesn't help either, but I can't really form a worth-while opinion if I don't expose myself to it.

You were right about the production value for Empyrean. The first song sounded like mashing August Burns Red, this song by V.a.g.a.b.o.n.d., and The Prince of Egypt soundtrack (sans-Mariah Carie + Whitney) together. This leads me to a recommendation for you, which will be at the end of this post. The second song's vocals sounded a lot like Damned Spirits' Dance, which was pretty cool. The second song was better than the first, but both still let me with something to be desired. I was looking for some catchy guitar hooks or an infectious melody, but that never seemed to happen. It did get interesting at the end, but that was just it bleeding into the next song |D

Man Amon Amarth are silly. I can see why Arithmetica and Champ find this style of music appealing, but I don't think I like it for same reason. The guitar part in the calmer interlude was pretty cool in the first song. The second had some cool time signature changes, drum structures, and I liked the middle-eastern influences, but I don't know if that was enough to get me to want to look into them further. That kind of music I need to be in a very specific mood for. 

Unhuman, however, I liked from the first 15 seconds. Love love chaotic, crazy music. Technical death metal isn't something I really get a whole lot of, aside fom Fleshgod Apocalypse which, I've been told, aren't something I should mention on the internet. Apparently being signed to Nuclear Blast means they're bad? idk , but your description of other technical death metal albums being a chore to listen to was what I found with FGA's last full length. However, the samples you posted here weren't that: they were invigorating, interesting, and even though I tend to only like that style of singing in small doses from things like The Black Dahlia Murder, I did really enjoy 'Chaotic Equilibrium.' Ugh, and the short sweeping arpeggios? These guys could get it, especially the bassist hnng. (The font for their name is god awful though)

So, after trying the -+-Cyber Metal-+-, it reminded me a lot of an album I loved a ton this year. Oddly enough, it is the sound track to Metal Gear Rising-Vengence-. I'm not a fan of the Metal Gear series, but I tried this game because I played it at a friend's house and it's pretty much Kingdom Hearts with androgynous robot me. Instead of running around and hitting things, you run around and cut things. Also there's no Donald to fucking waste your megalixers gdi no stop jesus christ donald just stay home.

All jocularity aside, this game as an amazing sound track. It's intensely fast paced industrial metal, mixed with some progressive metal and even a tolerable amount of dubstep in certain spots. Some of the tracks have the same vocals, but I believe 3 vocalists were used in total. Here are my top 3 favorite songs from it:

1.) This song reminds me of what Paramore would be like if they weren't terribad. If anyone plays League of Legends, Vi's log-in music should have been like this instead of whatever the crap they actually used was.

2.) Think Deluhi but better with some dub-step.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqz4UUbsFdk

3.) This one is my favorite. As strange as it sounds, it's like the love child of Dream Theater and Celldweller. The content even sounds like something Dream Theater would sing about. Think ~angsty Angura Political Strife~ but by white people.

All 3 of these are extended versions. The real versions are only 2 minutes long and the games have some extra filler in the songs that are not in the CD on Amazon. People on Youtube found more complete songs that are longer or they managed to loop them together better. There's also 'original mixes' of some of the songs that strip out all of the synth and keep the guitar structures in part from the few seconds I listened to them while looking for these videos.

Thoughts in order:

I felt the second Windhand album was superior to the first because they found more of their own style as a band.

Oh, I see. I agree with you that they were able to find their own style with Soma, but it didn't catch me like debut did. I just thought it lacked the riff. Shame, because I really looked forward to the album.

Thoughts in order:

Caladan Brood became very pleasant background music after about five minutes. Because of it's long runtime and slow pace, it doesn't do anything wrong but it doesn't captivate my attention. Great music for when you're amping up for a Lord of the Rings rewatch (which I plan to do today!)

Not sure if you only checked out the song I posted or the whole album, but it has some variety including blastbeats and stuff.

Thoughts in order:

I like Czarface much more than Ghostface Killah's attempt earlier this year. I must like the throwback 90s sound much more.

I see. It's a lot harder and focus less on the atmosphere and more on the beats and stuff. Maybe that's what makes the difference to you? Great album nonetheless.

Thoughts in order:

I'm a sucker for doom metal and stoner rock, so you won me over with Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats.

Nice! Be sure to check out their two first albums as well, which is, in my ears, a lot better than this. Blood Lust are their masterpiece so far.

Thoughts in order:

Jess and the Ancient ones sounds fantastic. Can't believe I missed that this year.

Cool! Be sure to check out their debut album as well.

And a few more bands you might enjoy or just catch your itnerest. A bit too many I guess, but that won't hurt nobody. :P

Orchid - The Mouths of Madness

This ain't much more than Black Sabbath worship, but it's good Black Sabbath worship if you're into that kind of thing. They've got one of the best artworks this year as well.

Skogen Brinner - 1st

This is baically Black Sabbath in Swedish. They've managed to capture that lovely 70's production and atmosphere. One just gotta love this!

Tempelheks - Red Forest

While listening to the opening song you could easily have been fooled to believe this is a Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats song (- the vocals). Something that weren't good enough for their two first albums or something. But this is still great, though. Some might react to the vocals, and while not the best, I don't think they spoil anything at all. They just adds to the charm IMO. The other songs doesn't sound quite as much as Uncle Acid, but they're still very good. A very enjoyable debut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_1DlvQFdaA

Mount Salem - Endless

Female fronted doom/psychedelic rock with that occult feel similar to the two first Blood Ceremony albums, but without the flute. I think this EP is just fabolous and the vocals are really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eksL43i9WM

Mansion - We Shall Live

Doom metal/rock with female vocals. These finns sounds like a doomy Jess and the Ancient Ones with a small amount of Jex Thoth thrown in. Listen to the intro to the song bellow. That's Jex Thothish, yeah?. Amazing too! Also, the themes on the EP are quite interesting. "The themes of We Shall Live revolve around Kartanoism, a Christian sect active in mid-twentieth century Finland."

Shinin' Shade - Sat-urn

Great psychedelic rock with amazing female vocals. A bit slower and heavier than most other bands I've mentioned. Some of the riffs are just crushing!

High Priest of Saturn - High Priest of Saturn

This ain't nearly as good as the demo they released, but a solid album nonetheless. Think Electric Wizard meets Sleep meets Om.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DWLU7O1JR0

Abysmal Grief - Feretri

Abysmal Grief have been one of the more unique bands within the genre for 15 years now, and they are a band that rarely disappoint anybody. I guess it's fair to call them horror doom, because they manage to create a horror film atmosphere on every single release they do, much to do how they use the keyboard. Brilliant!. Lots of Paul Chain, Death SS and King Diamond in their sound.

Tusmørke -  Offerpresten and Den Internasjonale Bronsealderen

Tusmørke took me by storm with their debut album, Underjordisk Tusmørke, in 2012. In 2013 they released to new EPs, both amazing. Progressive/psychedelic folk/rock which I would guess are inspired by greatness such as Jethro Tull and Amon Düül II among others. I can't get enough of these guys, so it pleases me that they are releasing stuff in a high tempo. An album in 2012, two EPs in 2013, and as far as I know two albums and a split planned for 2014. Oh yes!

Abysmal Grief - Feretri

Abysmal Grief have been one of the more unique bands within the genre for 15 years now, and they are a band that rarely disappoint anybody. I guess it's fair to call them horror doom, because they manage to create a horror film atmosphere on every single release they do, much to do how they use the keyboard. Brilliant!. Lots of Paul Chain, Death SS and King Diamond in their sound.

Damn, this sounds excellent! Gotta look for some of their stuff.

This is probably my favorite Liphlich song, along with 'Gloria Bamboo.' Unfortunately, not a lot of their stuff is on youtube probably due to Marder Suitcase flagging their videos. Indie labels always seem to be the most on top of doing that: Darkest Labyrinth / Starwave + Red List being the most notorious.

That also happens to be one of my favorite LIPHLICH songs and I would have ended up linking it if you hadn't.

Also wow, I wasn't expecting this many people to give me suggestions! I will get to them all but it may take me a day or two.

Thoughts:

1. Heaven Shall Burn- Veto

• Never heard of this band before (or I probably did but just overlooked them). They sound OK but they don't really grab me with anything in particular.
2. LEPROUS - The Cloak
  • I was expecting more metal than what I got from your description. The vocals grew on me but I was hoping the instruments would have more oomph to it.
3. TesseracT - Altered State
  • I'll have to come back to this. There's something here but I need my setup to hear it fully.
4. Protest the Hero - Volition
  • The vocals on this track kill it for me sorry :(

My apologies if my description mislead on Leprous. And really? Rody Walker's vocals in Protest The Hero don't usually put people off

Sign in to follow this