Sign in to follow this  
Umi_Niwa

Jrock & Visual Kei PVs

There is very little originality when it comes to pvs, especially in Visual Kei. Mostly focusing around the band playing the song, with little else going on (though I'm sure there are those who disagree with me :P). Although sometimes nothing else is necessary, but I do appreciate those bands who also think of some plot line in their videos. And those are pretty rare. So I wanted to ask you guys to share if you've seen anything interesting. 

I kinda like Golden Bomber videos, as silly as they are (or because of that) XD   

Maybe it's not in the 'serious' music category but you get my point.

There are a few other bands that I enjoy watching their videos such as Malice Mizer or Psycho Le Cemu, or Kagrra and MUCC. 

I think early Dir en grey PVs are some of the best.

La'Mule's PVs are also always really good to sit and watch.

http://youtu.be/uhIFYBxdCLw

CELL's recent two PVs just don't really compare to anything of the PVs La'Mule did but I'm guessing La'Mule had better funding when they were with Soleil.

Also anything from KEY PARTY was really good. My favourite KEY PARTY label PV would be Eliphas Levi's Karei Naru D No Sangeki.

http://youtu.be/NEZ7BRjMrGY

And another mention before I run out the door, I don't really like Nega but I thought they had some of the better PVs from the last round of UCP bands.

Before moving on with certain instances, I would like to say that I somewhat DESPISE  overpowering green-screen effects in a new wave of VK /(perhaps)J-rock PVs  (New DEG and Lin are perfect examples of this so-called "disaster").

Ever since I got introduced to visuals, I've always thought that PVs should "strengthen" the message of specific song or have somewhat related elements in them. In my case, "landscape /wandering PVs" are those I usually love/like.

(listing below)

L'arc~en~ciel - Kaze no Yukue (1994) 

http://vimeo.com/34684327

Luna Sea - Mother (1994)

Luna Sea - I For You (1998)

Guniw Tools - Itamanai Kumo (1998?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0fBQVRAFC0

Also, travelling PVs inspire me alot (Guniw, Glay and Hyde/Kiyoharu in general have good "cruising" PVs or so)

Doesn't mean I -would- mind "be-pretty-pretend-you're-playing" aesthetics, since that's "the thing" of music videos for decades...

I have to agree with Arith, that Eliphas Levi PV is fantastic! Here's another one of my absolute favorites, from the Key Party label as well:

Aliene Ma'riage - Shimobe

This one's a beautiful and somewhat surreal video for a likewise pretty song:

Soft Ballet - Twist of Love

I'll include this last one cuz it's so fun and random, goes well with the quirkiness of the track. xD

Metronome - Isshuukan

There's a couple more that I like (tho overall I'm not really a fan of PVs) but these stuck in my memory somehow.

Before moving on with certain instances, I would like to say that I somewhat DESPISE  overpowering green-screen effects in a new wave of VK /(perhaps)J-rock PVs  (New DEG and Lin are perfect examples of this so-called "disaster").
Oh yeah, the green screen thing is not nearly as fun as a bunch of dudes running around while their friend chased them with a handheld camera.

Honestly, though minor and silly I think what bugs me the most about green screen is have you noticed that bandmen's teased and spiky hair causes problems with the green screen background? There's usually a fuzzy halo affect around their hair. UGH! THAT'S SO ANNOYING! I don't think that happened in Lin PVs since KISAKI probably had enough money to get that fixed but with lower budget bands it's the worse.

Also I figured I'd bring up Deshabillz. Holy smokes they had some of the coolest PVs, their music and videos really brought out a great dark gothic atmosphere without being overly corny and silly. I won't link a video, just go to YouTube and look up Deshabillz PV. Anything from them is worth watching.

Oh, I'm sad that I totally forgot about Kuroageha 's Night Melody PV. It is pretty fantastic! The intro is needlessly long before the song actually starts, oh and Makoto looks like a wiener but he always did so nothing new about that. So just skip to 2:40 because it's a great video.

I thought the death sequence for all the members was really well done. It wasn't overly bloody and crude but thought out and really elegant.

I guess really my favourite 'story' PVs just tend to be older ones since it's before special effects became more common place. I know there's some cool modern ones though and oh yeah I am bias for all those old bands anyway.

I like PVs that have a nostalgia and timeless feel to them. No matter how much time passes by, it never feels old. I rarely see PVs like that nowadays. Siam Shade's Kumori Nochi Hare illustrates that perfectly.

http://youtu.be/06yypJflmas

Gazette's PLEDGE PV is a nice film noir that suits the song justice. Aside from couple technical flaws, some of the cinematography I thought was well done.

http://youtu.be/p5GxXYR78mE

My favorite of all PVs is D'espairsRay's DEATH POINT. I love the gritty and the in-your-face type of feel they were displaying here. Usually those dirty film effects don't strike me as authentic and ends up cheesy but with the direction they went, it was put to good use. Showing staffs behind the scenes is a nice touch. By the way, this official youtube upload by UMJ is unforgivable.

http://youtu.be/kDnL7s6s07k

I think many old visual kei bands had nice PVs (except low-budget indie groups... I just say AZALEA's Horobi no niwa PV).

Malice Mizer not only had very beautiful theatralic live perfomances, their music videos were very nice too. Regardless if it's the Gackt or Klaha era.

And I love how the PVs have were all about the band, but they have been put into the spotlight different than today. With lots of posing and showing off your fucking cool, big hair *lol* Doesn't really have a concept or story, but I miss these facial expressions and dance moves. Modern visual kei can't really pull that off.

Speaking of annyoing green screen... PENICILLINs remake of Romance is full of it and it is terrible. The original PV was dozen times better.

Speaking of annyoing green screen... PENICILLINs remake of Romance is full of it and it is terrible. The original PV was dozen times better.

Oh my gawd, I had no idea they remade that. It was so dumb. The original was so raw but this was so bland and soulless. The rerecording of the song I don't mind though, could be because the original one I watched on YouTube was just a poor quality upload but ehhh...

Ever since I got introduced to visuals, I've always thought that PVs should "strengthen" the message of specific song or have somewhat related elements in them. In my case, "landscape /wandering PVs" are those I usually love/like.

(listing below)

Also, travelling PVs inspire me alot (Guniw, Glay and Hyde/Kiyoharu in general have good "cruising" PVs or so)

Doesn't mean I -would- mind "be-pretty-pretend-you're-playing" aesthetics, since that's "the thing" of music videos for decades...

My thought exactly. Luna Sea had made some great music videos throughout their career. I really like "Mother". It's very touching and sad. But I also like some newer ones, such as these:

I saw Gravity some years ago and it really impressed me, I was even inspired to create a digital painting by it. I love the eerie atmosphere and the setting. 

Also like this one for "In Silence". It has alot of "posing and showing off your fucking cool" XD  Unlike the new VK it was actually interesting to look at them.

I've never seen that Laruku video, it's also effin cooi.  I love these videos with an ethnic kind of setting and little stories going on. Will go to my favorites from now on 8-D
But this one is a work of art in my opinion ♥  Even if something like this was done before I think it's brilliant. Fits the mood of the song perfectly.

http://vimeo.com/39512350

Yay for lots of naked people, lol. Looks like it was banned on Youtube.

One more favorite of mine is Lacryma Chirsti. I absolutely love their visual era that was revolving around mysticism. But also after they dropped the visuals and played more of a mainstream rock.  I kinda like it how there are no screaming and growling in any of their songs (at least to my knowledge). That sets them apart for me, along with Luna Sea, Laruku and Janne Da Arc.

Continuing with more eye-candy stuff:

Merry - Fukurou (2013)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1aCWplz2KI

Fits well with song's theme

Buck-Tick - Sabbat (1990)

As with previous one, "gloomy castle/house and goth meetings"-theme and song go along pretty well :)

Dir en grey - Akuro no Oka (1999)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9UCPliVQBw

"The Hill of Acropolis" and scenes of band performing in Acropolis, sweet. (Correct me if I am wrong in terms of shooting place)

Dir en grey - Ain't Afraid to Die (2001)

Beautiful PV, beautiful theme

Also, when it comes to Penicillin - as much as I despise their current "vk overuse of green screen effects" fad, I love some of their "'MURRIKAH" ventures back in the 90s (1997 to be exact, 1995 PVs are sort of...weird?)

Penicillin - Ippasu Atero (1997)

Basic 90s hip-hop "pimp" elements and VK aesthetics collide together = ???

Penicillin - Yoru wo Buttobase (1997)

http://www.nicozon.net/watch/sm16738490

Low quality-ish but you get it either way

Dir En Grey indeed made some awesome pvs.

Kodou is one of my favorites. I'm not a fan of the gory stuff but videos like this leave an impact. I think it fits the song lyrics well. Definitely needs to be watched fullscreen. I think it's one of Diru's best.

I never bothered to read the lyrics but they are beautiful, the video is kinda messy but I like it.

Yokan and The Final pvs are conveying the message well.

Continuing with more eye-candy stuff:

Merry - Fukurou (2013)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1aCWplz2KI

Fits well with song's theme

Buck-Tick - Sabbat (1990)

As with previous one, "gloomy castle/house and goth meetings"-theme and song go along pretty well :)

Dir en grey - Akuro no Oka (1999)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9UCPliVQBw

"The Hill of Acropolis" and scenes of band performing in Acropolis, sweet. (Correct me if I am wrong in terms of shooting place)

Dir en grey - Ain't Afraid to Die (2001)

Beautiful PV, beautiful theme

Also, when it comes to Penicillin - as much as I despise their current "vk overuse of green screen effects" fad, I love some of their "'MURRIKAH" ventures back in the 90s (1997 to be exact, 1995 PVs are sort of...weird?)

Penicillin - Ippasu Atero (1997)

Basic 90s hip-hop "pimp" elements and VK aesthetics collide together = ???

Penicillin - Yoru wo Buttobase (1997)

http://www.nicozon.net/watch/sm16738490

Low quality-ish but you get it either way

Akuro no Oka is epic, though I wish there was more going on plot-wise but I love how literally dark it is. Didn't know there was a video for it. Thanks for sharing! :) I was in that place about eight years ago :P

And Merry as wild and aggressive as usual XD

I'll watch Penicillin later.

There're a lot of old PVs in this thread, implying that maybe bands made better PVs in the past. I disagree though.

One of the reasons I like カメレオ is their PVs. It seems like nowadays a lot of bands make those general photoshopped-to-shit, we're-playing-in-the-same-industrial-hall-as-everyone-else PVs, but not カメレオ. Most of their music videos actually have a story behind them. Yeah of course the band appears playing every now and then, but that isn't the main point.

(Too bad their best PV yet, meaning Netsuzou pierrot is missing from youtube.)

But look at this, just look at the beauty of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqUzsHglvqQ

Another band who's music videos I like is, of course, Kiryu. Yeah, their general idea seems to be about just the band playing but oh my god the colors. Okay no, some of their PVs do have a plot, and when they don't, there are still the colors.

Hrrrrrr color orgasm right there. In your face.

There're a lot of old PVs in this thread, implying that maybe bands made better PVs in the past. I disagree though.

I wouldn't really say my opinion is old = better. I view it the same as I do with modern movies, television shows and games. In the past without the use of CGI, film makers and television producers had to be creative with their special effects. Some better than others of course but I guess just that creators really had to focus on story and presentation to get the message across. Now I feel that some programs they can just toss in some fancy CGI to make things look good and skimp on story or other aspects since they can do more lasers! More sparkles! More explosions! More Megan Fox boob shots! I'm generalizing of course but that's just how I view older PVs too. Seemed like artists had more limitations so they had to really put in extra effort to produce their videos instead of how artists can just stand in front of a green screen and let special effects do the rest. Generalizing of course and maybe I'm just showing my age. DAMN KIDS AND THEIR PVS! BACK IN MY DAY ALL I HAD WAS STEVE WITH CHEAP HAND HELD CAMERA!

But like your example of Kiryu, their PVs are always great to watch. Nega’s stuff has always been good in my opinion, I don’t even like most of their music but their PVs I thought were worth sitting down and watching. Matenrou’s Gloria concept PVs another good watch as well.

I agree with Arithmetica. Sure, there have been tons of bad PVs back in the day as well... I'd say the difference in awfullness lies in the technology. In the 80s and 90s the crappiness was thanks to low-budget, lack of talent and the movie being shot with a cheap cam. Today the equipment may be better- but an overdose of CGI and computer effects can ruin it and make the video look cheap too.

I like D's PVs for being a good example what good PVs are made of: great scenery, lovely details and great costumes. Most of their PVs tell stories as well so it's not just the band posing around. I could compare D to Kiryu too considering that most of their PVs or outfits are colourful (maybe not as vivid and flashy as Kiryu's). I really like the way they work with different concepts with both music, video and the visuals (clothes). In my opinion that's what visual kei originally was all about and when a band fails at that their PVs might not be so interesting (at least to me).

I totally agree with anyone who says Dir en grey's PVs are fantastic. Though I can't really get myself into the music videos they have been producing a while... I don't know why, but their recent PVs didn't fascinate me as much as their older ones did.

I'd say the difference in awfullness lies in the technology. 

Exactly!

Also D does have some great videos, I think my favourite would be Der Konig der Dunkelheit. The rose scenes are the best but I think the PV was one of their best to tell the story of that song. Asagi's dancing is pretty dorky though but that's okay :E

http://youtu.be/zf0w16UZf6o

What a nice thread!

Like most people I'm more drawn to 'classic' pvs, especially the elaborate kind with lots of image scenes and drama. Sometimes 'good looking band playing the song' works great, but most of the time it's cooler when they actually thought of ways to illustrate the lyrics and the emotions in the music.

Some that just came to my head and haven't been posted yet are

Chocoripeyes by Vidoll

Curse by La'Mule

Something New, Somebody New by Kiyoshi

http://youtu.be/OLxcc6iaYGA

道の空 by Psycho le Cemu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKZOmBLAx0Y

Cage by Dir en Grey

muddy cult by nega

月下の夜想曲 by malice mizer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoErMPWFH4c

I could go on forever, but I don't.

Exactly!

Also D does have some great videos, I think my favourite would be Der Konig der Dunkelheit. The rose scenes are the best but I think the PV was one of their best to tell the story of that song. Asagi's dancing is pretty dorky though but that's okay :E

http://youtu.be/zf0w16UZf6o

Lol, first of all I want to say that the Japanese traditional theme has been done to death (yeah I know it's legit but still). And while in D's case it may have been impressive, in Kiryu's case I find it pretty cheap looking. And gawd someone must've been on crack while doing that video XD

And no, not all old visual kei bands have good pvs, there are a lot of crappy ones. Often going well with the crappines of the music.

That D video you posted is kinda hilarious. I can't say I'm wowed because most of their videos are made in this manner. And I'm kinda bored with all that Asagi/random member interaction. I can read a fanfic and have some better action. The only ones I was actually impressed with were Ouka saki some in keri and  Kuon. With the latter I'm kinda disappointed because I expected more action for such a dramatic song. But the theme was beaufitul. 

I agree with Arithmetica. Sure, there have been tons of bad PVs back in the day as well... I'd say the difference in awfullness lies in the technology. In the 80s and 90s the crappiness was thanks to low-budget, lack of talent and the movie being shot with a cheap cam. Today the equipment may be better- but an overdose of CGI and computer effects can ruin it and make the video look cheap too.

I like D's PVs for being a good example what good PVs are made of: great scenery, lovely details and great costumes. Most of their PVs tell stories as well so it's not just the band posing around. I could compare D to Kiryu too considering that most of their PVs or outfits are colourful (maybe not as vivid and flashy as Kiryu's). I really like the way they work with different concepts with both music, video and the visuals (clothes). In my opinion that's what visual kei originally was all about and when a band fails at that their PVs might not be so interesting (at least to me).

I totally agree with anyone who says Dir en grey's PVs are fantastic. Though I can't really get myself into the music videos they have been producing a while... I don't know why, but their recent PVs didn't fascinate me as much as their older ones did.

You're right though, when it comes down to it basically visual kei is more about visuals than content, so it would be too much to expect of everybody to make the videos that I'd like to see. And the bands that stand out are not purely visual kei. You'd think that with all today's technology it would inspire something really creative. But today's trend in the genre seems to be to focus on showing the band's "style" and for that a bunch of closeups, camera pans and in-out of focus manipulations will do perfectly fine. Although to be honest it's not only the fault of visual kei. In short- nothing will compare to Michael Jackson :P

Lol, first of all I want to say that the Japanese traditional theme has been done to death (yeah I know it's legit but still). And while in D's case it may have been impressive, in Kiryu's case I find it pretty cheap looking. And gawd someone must've been on crack while doing that video XD

Not meaning to be butthurt or anything but are you familiar with the fact that Kiryu is neo japanesque band? Their whole concept revolves around being traditional. I don't think THAT has been done to death, meaning there haven't been many neo japanesque bands out there. I can name... three from VK scene. There are more cheap Dir en grey copies out there than bands who actually carry out traditional look and concept throughout their whole career. 

Not meaning to be butthurt or anything but are you familiar with the fact that Kiryu is neo japanesque band? Their whole concept revolves around being traditional. I don't think THAT has been done to death, meaning there haven't been many neo japanesque bands out there. I can name... three from VK scene. There are more cheap Dir en grey copies out there than bands who actually carry out traditional look and concept throughout their whole career. 

Isn't that something Miyavi started? Maybe not, but I still don't like it.  You know, we all have different tastes, that's cool.

I do like Fukusuke though. He's so cool :D

Well... I think Kagrra, were the first band to start mixing traditional elements with visual kei. They already did this lightly when they started out as an oldschool band called CROW. Miyavi was still in Dué le quartz back then, if I remember correctly.
I don't think either that traditional elements are overused, at least not in visual kei. I guess you can get the impression that it is because some japanese bands like to put a bit of their local melodies and instruments into songs, but that doesn't really qualify as folk or traditional japanese music. It would just have the same effect as american rock bands using some country elements in their songs or German groups having a bit folk/Volksmusik qualities...

Let's not forget that visual kei comes from Japan, so having a bit of influence from the music and fashion of your home country isn't so unlikely for them.
In my opinion the non-japanese music trends, most who started to become a fad in the US and european countries, are much more annoying. I am not saying that all western music sucks and is a bad influence (it sure is not! We have some great artists and musicians), but Metalcore, Nu-Metal, Techno-Pop and other related things that are trendy now are much more overdone in Vk by now. This type of bands outnumber all the traditional and folky visual kei bands easily.

I guess we have different opinions on D's work also. But at the moment their music videos really stand out. I am not a fan of action honestly. In visual kei PVs it would maybe even be out of place. That now depends on your definition of action, Umi_Niwa. I also think Ds PVs are really more about the fiction and portrayal of their current song or band concept than the band and Asagi. He is just the main protagonist. That's not so different from Malice Mizer's PVs and that's why I like them.

Your video can have good effects, nice visuals and put the band into the spotlight, but it is all about balancing. As I have said: overdoing in one category, especially the special effects, can ruin everything.

It's right that this is not a visual kei-only issue. I think music video's have lost a lot of creativity not only because of new technologies. But the big era of music videos is over, I guess. MVs aren't that important to a musician or group as they have been back in the day when music channels liek MTV prospered and still played mainly music. We live in very different times. The internet made things cheaper, more accessible and faster. Music videos just don't appeal so much this day, where I can just download the songs I like to have, store it on two or three devices, where I have another 10 thousand music files. Music videos are nice to look at, from time to time. But the impact isn't the same. I  the past people went crazy for the Michael jackson videos you mentioned, My mum even owned a VHS with the full Thriller MV plus Making off and the casette wasn't cheap. How many people would pay over 20€ to get a VHS with one single music video today?
Today PVs are simply what it says on the tin: promotional videos. Nice to look at and they should make people eager to buy the single or album or the special edition which comes with the vid. But most PVs can't really stand alone for themselves anymore.

@Hyura

I wanted to put Vidoll's Chocoripeyes too, but forgot XD
It's actually funny how Kisaki's label made a transgression from super low-budget, cheap and crappy handcam videos during matina times to Undercode's decent and funny PVs in the early days... and then followed the trend of other labels with their generic "band poses around with lots of closeups and nice effects" videos.
Okay, Phantasmagoria's vids weren't masterpieces either... especially Kami Uta, which is a good example for CGI-overload. Vidoll's first PVs were rather meh, typical late matina style. But during Undercode they had such nice PVs... I also like Fstein to M. Doesn't really have a story at all, but the style is so reminiscent of early 2ks visual kei videos when they were heavily inspired by Dir en grey's freaky videos like Zan. You had those fast cuts, gory scenes and the topic of insanity or mental breakdowns. Kinda miss that.

Well... Kagerou's early PVs remind me of that, but their later ones are good too. Not typically Visual kei as they started to grow out of it at the end.

This one has the typical Zan-inspired freakiness plus fast cuts and singer Daisuke being weird.

In that Pv I like the setting.

The band also had a few landscape PVs too that I like. Can't find a decent quality of Zetsubou ni sayonara, but that video features an urban setting and I just like the way it is made.

Sign in to follow this